Service Tier Administration Tool v3.4.0

Comments

• JDVyskaJDVyska Member Posts: 179
    Small feature request, regarding Create NAV Client Version. Would it possible to make it valid to select a blank Build Version, thus only copying the Base Version?

Working with some old databases, I had installed 2009 as 6.0.32012. The STA Create source has a 6.0.29626 has the "base" 2009 version. I would like to be able to select just the Base version and click install.

Sure it's a manual copy/paste, but then I have to add the versions of the stack to the Settings manually as well. Across multiple machines, that time adds up.
    JEREMY VYSKA
    CEO, Spare Brained Ideas, Göteborg, Sweden
    New (April 2021) Getting Started with Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central Book Available: "Your First 20 Hours with Business Central"
  • lvanvugtlvanvugt Member Posts: 774
    edited 2016-02-19
    Hi Chris,

Once again: I love your tool.
    Now with NAV 2016 it seems to miss some new features:

1. "Run NAS services with admin rights" on the NAS Services tab.
    2. "Compile and Load Business Application" on the General tab

When are you to add it?
    Luc van Vugt, fluxxus.nl
    Never stop learning
    Van Vugt's dynamiXs
    Dutch Dynamics Community
  • JDVyskaJDVyska Member Posts: 179
    Also, is there a Paypal or something we can buy you a cup of coffee or something? You've been helping us all out.
    JEREMY VYSKA
    CEO, Spare Brained Ideas, Göteborg, Sweden
    New (April 2021) Getting Started with Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central Book Available: "Your First 20 Hours with Business Central"
    Another small feature request for your great tool ;-)

When clicking Stop or Restart, I would like to have a message popping up asking me if the service should be restarted.

Justification: working with in-house development at an end-user, we are handling quite some services now. Both dev/test and production. So it happened to me that I had not seen right which service was selected when I pressed Restart. It happened to be a production service. Ouch.

Having a confirm popping up which states which service I am going to restart, gives me the change to rethink my action. And surely the default button should be no.

Thanx in advance.
    Luc van Vugt, fluxxus.nl
    Never stop learning
    Van Vugt's dynamiXs
    Dutch Dynamics Community
  • clienauclienau Member Posts: 57
    Hello all,

I have do some changes and i will do my best to implement your wishes.

I think i can do an update in the next 2 weeks.

Sry i have less time at the moment. Family and many projects and changes in other projects.

Best Regards
  • Supremenerd88Supremenerd88 Member Posts: 21
    First of all thanks guys for this program (this is a mile stone for every NAV developers!!!).

I've 2 suggestion for you:

1) insert in grid column the SQL instance and ports number.
    2) insert a button to run SQL server management studio.

With this informations we can view if we have some "duplicated" service (i.e. we have 2 stopped service on port 7046) and with button we can directly connect to DB.

I wish you good work!
    Giorgio Gandolfi
  • AdministratorAdministrator Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,495
    Service Tier Administration Tool v2.5.5
    Version 2.5.5 (2016-03-17):

NEW STA Setting "Default Startup RTC" 32 or 64 bit. This is for 2016 Default Client Startup. Some issues with 32 Bit Addin to start old 32-Bit client as default.
    NEW STA Setting "Warning". This warns before stop or restart a service.
    NEW Function to Start "SQL Server Management Studio" directly to the selected service database. (Must be installed)
    ADD config setting "Run NAS services with admin rights" to 2016 services.
    ADD new columns DatabaseInstance, ClientPort, SoapPort

http://mibuso.com/downloads/service-tier-administration-tool

Discuss this download here.

NEW STA Setting "Default Startup RTC" 32 or 64 bit. This is for 2016 Default Client Startup. Some issues with 32 Bit Addin to start old 32-Bit client as default.
    NEW Function to Start "SQL Server Management Studio" directly to the selected service database. (Must be installed)
    ADD new columns DatabaseInstance, ClientPort, SoapPort

http://mibuso.com/downloads/service-tier-administration-tool

THANKS!!!!

Realy nice job!!!
    Giorgio Gandolfi
  • daborgdaborg Member Posts: 54
    Unfortunately it looks like the issue with the categories not saving is back. I lost all of my categories after upgrading and they no longer save :(
  • TheCrocodilTheCrocodil Member Posts: 2
    edited 2016-06-14
    First of all: Great job! This is an amazing tool, thank you!

I have one little feature request: adding a new computer (service tier server) with the option to use another user. My local user account does not have the privileges to administrate the service tiers on the server. And: we have 3 systems -> development, testing, live. And for all of these we have separate service tier server with separate administrator accounts.
  • mrembiszmrembisz Member Posts: 4
    Might have found a bug. Just created a new version of 80 with CU22 (8.0.46580). Everything seems to work and run, however, when you attempt to sync the table schema between the service tier and the client, there is a server mismatch. It seems like the Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Management.dll does not get updated during the creation process. That dll is a part of the CU22 update folder, but seems to be skipped.

Can anyone else confirm this?
    MARK REMBISZ
    Senior Dynamics NAV Developer, Update Affärssystem, Göteborg, Sweden
    Remember: If you use Ask a Question, it can be marked as Answered and will be more visible!

Thanx for adding them. Only today I noticed you had. :)
    Luc van Vugt, fluxxus.nl
    Never stop learning
    Van Vugt's dynamiXs
    Dutch Dynamics Community
  • davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    I love your tool - it has been a lifesaver.
    Is there a setup option to link the developer build with the RTC build in the tool?
    I would like to be able to run tables from the developer and also start the debugger and use it, but this is not working for me.
  • poddiepoddie Member Posts: 6
    Hi, I am new to this tool and was wondering if there is any documentation or hints as to how to get started? I have been using the standard Administration plugins. I have recently come across the need to use multiple builds of 2016 on the same server and haven't had any luck doing it... I believe this tool will allow me to set this up? But I am not sure at all how to get started using the tool.

Thanks!
  • kenjeskenjes Member Posts: 76
    Hi

We have a server running the services.
    Now I try to make a 2017 version, but get the following error, when trying create a new service :

"No Navision base version found for the choosen build update 10.0"

BASE folder : \Base\10.0
    UPDATES Folder : \Updates\10.0

Any ideas :) ?

Thansks
    Hi guys,

I've a suggestion for you. When we create a service with ServiceTierAdministration we specified target folder, but this information cannot be found into the program settings. When we need to install addin into NAV we must put dll files into client folder and service folder. Unfortunately, we don't remember service folder's path. Can you add this information into "Configuration"?

Thanks, I wish you good work!
    Giorgio Gandolfi
    Chris,

When can we expect NAV 2017 features to be available in the he tool?

b rg and keep up the good work,
    Luc
    Luc van Vugt, fluxxus.nl
    Never stop learning
    Van Vugt's dynamiXs
    Dutch Dynamics Community
  • davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    I have been using it with NAV 2017.
    Thanks for your product.
    Now all we need is a build independent version of PowerShell. Right now you have to jump thru hoops to get it pointing to a new build.
  • greatscott001greatscott001 Member Posts: 32
    Does anyone have information on the developer? There have been no updates for sometime for this tool, which is unfortunate but at the moment I am more concerned with the person.
  • JeKaReJeKaRe Member Posts: 1
    Hallo Christian,

First of all, STAT is a great tool. Our development team is using it almost on a daily basis to start/stop/restart NST's all over our server park.

Our Dynamics landscape consists of a complete Development, Testing, Acceptance and Production setup where each part consists of multiple servers which in turn may contain multiple NST's.
    Our production tree for example consists of 8 servers, running a total of 10 NST's which all need to be stopped and started during an update.

To make STAT even better in facilitating such actions, i would like to make the following suggestions:

1. Make it possible to group the computers in the Computer List under a category and perhaps even a subcategory. That way it becomes visually clear which NST belongs to which functional group.

2. Make it possible to Start/Stop/Restart a group of NST's with one push of a button. Let the user define groups of NST's (which may be located on different computers) and create a Group Action button that will show a dialogue in which a user first selects the Group of NST's (from the defined groups list) and then selects which action to perform (Start/Stop/Restart) on that group.

I know the current version of STAT will Start/Stop/Restart the selected NST's in the Navision Service List, but AFAIK it is not possible to show the NST's of multiple computers in that list at the same time. Beside that it is also a tedious and error prone process of selecting the correct NST's by hand every time.

Again, these are just suggestions to make an already great tool even better in my opinion.

With kind regards,

Jack Reitsema
  • LourensLourens Member Posts: 3
    Hi Christian,

Thank you for creating this very helpful tool, I use it on a daily basis!

I have the following 2 feature requests/suggestions:

Is it possible to add database login setup for a service?

And is it possible to add the ability to set credentials to be used to connect to a computer, to allow cross-domain management?

Kind regards

Lourens Vlaanderen
    In a long time no update on this great tool. Discontinued?
    Luc van Vugt, fluxxus.nl
    Never stop learning
    Van Vugt's dynamiXs
    Dutch Dynamics Community
  • I hope Luc Van Vught isn't correct on this :)
    And I'm in favour of Lourens'request : even for local testing it would be nice to be able to select which user to use to connect to a servicetier.

Great tool btw !
    edited 2017-11-17
    No, but less time ;)

I have send an update. Which will support 2017 and 2018.
    Aha, just starting up the tool I was informed version 3.0.0 was available. Yessssss. And thanx.
    Could you give a short resume on what has exactly been added? I am asking as I am missing the possibility to set DisableWriteInsideTryFunctions. See for example https://docs.microsoft.com/nl-nl/dynamics-nav/handling-errors-by-using-try-functions.
    Luc van Vugt, fluxxus.nl
    Never stop learning
    Van Vugt's dynamiXs
    Dutch Dynamics Community
    Oups, Chris. When installing version 3.0.0 two unwanted things happen:
    1. All my service tier machines I had added to the Machine List are gone.
    2. The property Service Warning is unchecked, while I had it checked (was my request to have this property).
    Could you fix this?
    Luc van Vugt, fluxxus.nl
    Never stop learning
    Van Vugt's dynamiXs
    Dutch Dynamics Community
    Yes that could be, because we have changed the company parameter from tegos GmbH to Simova GmbH. The settings will be stored in a different folder now. Sorry for that.

This should only be a problem after the update. Reconfigure it only one time.

I will check the missing property. It could be that this property is added in a CU or a build update.

I have add many properties for 2017 and 2018. I don't know exactly which one i have added.

Best Regards
    Ok this setting is missing.

I compare all parameter with the Administration Snap-In. It could be that this parameter is not configurable from the snap-in. I will make an update today again.

Best Regards
  • AdministratorAdministrator Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,495
    Service Tier Administration Tool v3.0.0
    Version 3.0.0 (2017-11-17):

Support for Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2018 and all settings.
    Support for Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2017 and all settings.

https://mibuso.com/downloads/service-tier-administration-tool

• colophoniuscolophonius Member Posts: 1
    Hi Luc van Vugt,

I have the same problem. And here is my workaround.

In your folder ...\AppData\Local you can find a folder "Simova..." and a folder "tegos...". In there subfolders you can find user.config files. In this files you can find the section "Machine_List". If you copy your list of machines from the file in the last subfolder in "tegos..." to the file in the subfolder "3.0.0.0" in "Simova..." then you see all of the machines in the new version.