Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 - Marketing Beta released

kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
edited 2008-10-20 in NAV Three Tier
If you have PartnerSource access, you can download this Marketing Beta there: https://mbs.microsoft.com/partnersource ... AV2009.htm

No NDA over this VPC... ;-)
Kamil Sacek
MVP - Dynamics NAV
My BLOG
NAVERTICA a.s.

Comments

• garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    Thanks kine \:D/ , and now we "Klick download" and wait for the 4.68GB- VPC Image

:whistle:
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    I downlaoded all the links (still running). The only bad link for me was the pricing FAQ document. Has anyone else had problems accessing it?
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    i'm getting a 1550 KB/sec transfer rate approx~1hr

Update transfer rate now at 2500 KB sec - sweet
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    davmac1 wrote:
    I downlaoded all the links (still running). The only bad link for me was the pricing FAQ document. Has anyone else had problems accessing it?

NO problems - try it again
    after 15. minutes i got it. Now on weekend, the wife isn't here, it's testtime :D
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Look for the adg, that has TONS of good information in it, including some very informative walkthroughs about how to create pages.
    yupp, there are also nice HowTow in the image.
    A good starting point.
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    I get shivers downloading this stuff. Can't wait to run through the click-through.
    The UX guide is useful material too, to get familiar with what the page elements are called, and then the new ADG can tell you how to get them there.
  • ssinglassingla Member Posts: 2,973
    size has increased ..................
    CA Sandeep Singla
    http://ssdynamics.co.in
    That's not always a bad thing sandeep :wink:
  • clauslclausl Member Posts: 455
    DenSter wrote:
    Look for the adg, that has TONS of good information in it, including some very informative walkthroughs about how to create pages.

I just created a blog post of the icons which you can use in the RoleTailered client which you might find useful.
    Please find it here: http://blogs.msdn.com/clausl/

Regards,
    Claus
    Claus Lundstrøm | MVP | Senior Product Manager | Continia.com
    I'm blogging here:http://mibuso.com/blogs/clausl and used to blog here: http://blogs.msdn.com/nav
    I'm also offering RDLC Report Training, ping me if you are interested. Thanks to the 700 NAV developers that have now already been at my training. You know you can always call if you have any RDLC report issues :-)
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Excelent Claus!

It will be very handy...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    Indeed. It's already in my "favorites" :-)

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
    clausl wrote:
    I just created a blog post of the icons which you can use in the RoleTailered client which you might find useful.
    Please find it here: http://blogs.msdn.com/clausl/
    Sweet :mrgreen: thanks Claus, and keep them coming please
  • BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
    :-k
    what license I need in order to create a new page?
    my dev license does not work (pages does not exist in 5.01 :mrgreen: )
    -Mirko-
    "Never memorize what you can easily find in a book".....Or Mibuso
    My Blog
    Our 004 license works without problems... (ok, I refreshed the license with Microsoft few days ago ;-), but it worked before too)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    Once your development license is updated you should have access to all object types.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Just so I understand this clearly:

This Marketing beta. What are the NDA limits on this?

I can Blog and talk about it - OK,

but can we actually show it to a customer? There does not seem to be any limitations at all in the documentation. Does this mean that Potential customers also have access to it?
    David Singleton
    as far as i know, you can show it to customers, indeed it is called "marketing" beta
    -Mirko-
    My Blog
    You can present it, but Microsoft wants to keep the sell momentum for NAV 5.0SP1 in countries of Group 2 and 3 and not to "disturb" them by new version... :-) There was text like "present it when there is reason..." 8)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    The screen above could be redesigned. You can move a lot of the noneditable fields to info panel.

They can still be on the one page, but the user can customize it to see only what they want. So the developer doesn't have to make everybody happy with one form.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
    2. Where is "Minimize the Ribbon" command located? Ask "Office Development Team" about this.

here!disable the higlighted one!

BTW, i don't like the new UI very much, too.
    hoping that users will like it... [-o<

edit: d'oh, I just understand what do you intend for "minimize the ribbon...in that case... :|
    -Mirko-
    My Blog
  • ajhvdbajhvdb Member Posts: 672
    My understanding is you can still use the old client UI (only SQL) en this UI. Am I correct?
    I believe you can still use native database server, but you won't be able to run pages. You'd also have to privide functionality in both pages and forms, and make sure that it is the same from either place.

A customer that sees a form like that as a must have priority will not be able to run the RTC. You have to be able to be flexible and be willing to look at alternatives, such as factboxes. This new version has no room for black/white type people, you must be willing to consider alternatives. For every thing that is "wrong" there are many more things that are "right" in return.

You can also promote certain fields onto the fast-tabs, so that minimized fast-tabs don't just take up space. For instance you can have an Invoicing fast-tab with the bill-to customer name, their contact and their phone number promote, and you will see that even when the fast-tab is minimized.
    BlackTiger wrote:
    (sort of sad joke) Can I have THIS on NAV RT Client?
    2904510856_fd449b7d8d.jpg?v=0
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3226/2904510856_a001097516_o.jpg
    What's the sad joke, that a form like that can't be created as a page in NAV2009, or that the form is like that in the first place? :mrgreen:

All kidding aside though... no you can't create a page that looks like that, and I also think it is a big mistake not to have wysiwyg UI design in NAV2009. What I DO think though, is that there are many alternatives, that might also work. You have to be willing to consider the alternatives. Don't just create a page and dismiss it right off the bat because you can't make it look a certain way. Try to make it work, try to provide the same functionality, and make the customer happy. Figure out every factbox type, and see if you can use them for your customer. Right now you probably don't know more than 10% of what pages are capable of, and I think you could be more positive about it. You've already said you like it, now try to make it work for your customers. I agree that it would be nice to have wysiwyg UI design, but it isn't there, so I have to deal with it, and I've moved on from there years ago. This metadata based UI has so many more capabilities.

Of course if the customer is not willing to listen then the story doesn't work. BUT a failed implementation is then not because NAV2009 can't provide this customer's functionality, it's because the customer doesn't want to listen to alternatives, and for a customer like that it might be better to use a different product, or not to upgrade.
    is there a way to mark some lines in pages?
    like ctrl+f1 in the classic client :-k
    -Mirko-
    My Blog
  • jreynoldsjreynolds Member Posts: 175
    Belias wrote:
    is there a way to mark some lines in pages?
    like ctrl+f1 in the classic client :-k

Marking is not supported in the RTC.
  • jreynoldsjreynolds Member Posts: 175
    I’ve been working with pages for several months now and while I miss many of the things that were possible with forms I’m starting to learn about and appreciate some of the new things that can be done with pages. My biggest frustration has been the enormous amount of time required to learn how to develop pages. With forms we have had a number of techniques available to us.
      - The Application Designer’s Guide contains several sections on forms. - There are instructor led and self study courses available for developers. - Help exists for all of the controls, properties, and triggers available for forms. - Online communities like MIBUSO where questions can be asked and seen (and answered) by hundreds of experienced developers around the world. - Study and examine the forms that are in the system. - Testing and experimentation with form controls, properties, and triggers.

Unfortunately for pages these have been severely limited or are non-existent although that is starting to change somewhat.
      - The Application Designer's Guide is being delivered as a help file and is starting to include information on pages but it is still very much a work in progress: - There are no instructor led or self study courses that I am aware of. - Help is starting to be delivered for controls and properties, but like the ADG it is still a work in progress. - Prior to the release of the marketing beta we were bound by NDA's to avoid discussing these topics in forums like MIBUSO. - Studying the existing pages is possible. However, since all of the pages have been created by a transformation process of forms into pages, the existing pages do not exploit all of the capabilities of pages. - Testing and experimentation with pages is possible but this is made difficult by the lack of documentation and the fact that a debugger for pages does not exist. (
    I really miss a debugger!)

I imagine that documentation will continue to trickle out and some of the blogs that are coming out of MS are very helpful. However, my biggest hope is that with the lifting of the NDAs that the on-line forums will now start to become a place where we can really accelerate our learning.