Options

RAM Requirements for Windows Vista

Comments

• Options
    PhennoPhenno Member Posts: 630
    kine wrote:
    Yes, it is RTM. And yes, I am using the Aero things there... (ATI MOBILITY Radeon 9700/64MB).

You can see my screenshots there:

http://msmvps.com/photos/kine/category2868.aspx

Sweet :)

But memory is on ~70% of usage.. (of 1GB). Though, you do have two native dbs opened and ms outlook...
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    (just one DB opened... :-)), side bar, outlook, word, Live messenger and Mobile Center (sync for PDA)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    kine wrote:
    (just one DB opened... :-)), side bar, outlook, word, Live messenger and Mobile Center (sync for PDA)

Hm... probably that ghostly "glue" window that appears at the login... it shows 2 windows for Nav :)
  • Options
    Ah, yes, I didn't registered that. It was my fault (touchpad is not working correctly, the client was really started two times... :-)) You are right, two NAV clients...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Keep in mind also that Vista encompases three components. A new operating system, a new Graphical interface, and a new File System. (Well I guess the file system part is not ready yet). But you can run Vista without the intensive graphics, and have a much more solid operating platform even though it will look much the same as XP. Then you can run it on pretty much any XP machine.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    Keep in mind also that Vista encompases three components. A new operating system, a new Graphical interface, and a new File System. (Well I guess the file system part is not ready yet). But you can run Vista without the intensive graphics, and have a much more solid operating platform even though it will look much the same as XP. Then you can run it on pretty much any XP machine.

Actually, even on XP I setup to default, win2k looklike, theme :mrgreen:

I just don't like cool, niceeeee, sweeet features that eats RAM resources like crazy.
    But have to know about it cause of other users....
  • Options
    I changed the theme to Old classic one, but no additional free memory... (without reset). It seems, like you will not save memory by disabling the theme...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    kine wrote:
    I changed the theme to Old classic one, but no additional free memory... (without reset). It seems, like you will not save memory by disabling the theme...

:?

have you turned off new graphic features with switching to old classic theme?
  • Options
    Yes, exactly this is what I did... no change in free memory or in "lower" cpu utilization...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    kine wrote:
    Yes, exactly this is what I did... no change in free memory or in "lower" cpu utilization...

Hm... :-k

It looks like they incorporated some vga hardware/directx features directly into the themes...
  • Options
    kine wrote:

I was referring to what they told us at Cambridge, and my understanding was that it was an option you select at install time to get the lower footprint installation, I didn't assume it to be something you could turn off later.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    During install time there are no options... :-) You just enter the ser. no. and select to which drive to install and that's all...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    kine wrote:
    During install time there are no options... :-) You just enter the ser. no. and select to which drive to install and that's all...

AutoOptimizingSystem :lol:
  • Options
    Miklos_HollenderMiklos_Hollender Member Posts: 1,598
    Maybe not only dual boot, but triple boot, leaving an 5-6 Gb partition to something friendly? :):):)
  • Options
    WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    May be dual boot (or triple boot :wink: ) is indeed the best way to go, expecially for a machine you also use for development and has 1 Gb RAM. I can imagine running a NAV client on a local db doesn't use as much resources as running a NAV client on a local SQL 2005 db ... and developing the dll's in VS.NET on a VPC ](*,) :wink: .

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • Options
    Well I can't even get VIsta to install I my computer : P4 3Ghz, 2.5Gig Ram, 512Mvideo, 300 GigHD... after about an hour of doing its stuff it just comes back ... "There was an error, please try again..." same thing three times.

Sooooo back to XP.

Oh two good things,
    1/ I found a program GPartEd, a source forge project for partitioning Hard Disks, that works just wonderfull to create a seperate Vista partition.
    2/ After everything, XP is still 100% functional (though I need to manually remove dual boot), but at least it didn't kill my XP installation.

I am going to have one more try by installing XP on the Vista partition, then upgrade that partition to Vista. Wish me luck.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    kine wrote:

Yes its the serial number that does the configuration. If you use Windows Standard or Vista Home Basic, then you turn off Aero, and can run it on just about any PC that will run XP.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    Ah, ok.

And one tip for you: Vista is very sensitive to burned DVD quality. Burn the DVD with Vista with slowest possible speed, else you can have problems with installing Vista. Another thing is, that similar problem I had with my notebook. Try to disconnect all not necessary devices on your notebook when installing (USB things etc.). Sometime can help to install Vista as upgrade on XP, because in this case it will take drivers from XP for unknown devices etc.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    Reburning the DVD was going to be my next step, but I got it to work, I did two things differently:

1/ I set the flag to automatically search for new drivers, sine the failure did look like a driver issue.
    2/ As soon as the progress bar completed "Copying Files" and started "Decompressing: I pulled out the DVD.

After your comments, I think it was 2/ that did the job. So far its looking very good, the only things not working are: finger print recognition (which |I don't care for anyway) and 2/ It could not detect sound drivers.

I have sp2 running, and it works like a charm. Now to try SQL.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    You just need to "hack" the .DLL - see my blog for step by step manual...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    kine wrote:

In kine's world, everything is manageble by hacking an appropriate .dll :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Of course... 8) (I started my "hacking" activities 20 years ago when I had run debugger for the first time on my Atari 800 XE to be able to enable invulnerability in some game, of course, the step by step description in some magazine was used... :-))

Do you know another way around that? :)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    kine wrote:
    Of course... 8) (I started my "hacking" activities 20 years ago when I had run debugger for the first time on my Atari 800 XE to be able to enable invulnerability in some game, of course, the step by step description in some magazine was used... :-))

Do you know another way around that? :)

No, no... i'm just afraid of things that could happend in a future...
    f.g. how to repair a car on highway? (simple hack the dll in engine folder, subfolder left valve...)
    or refridgerator... :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Phenno wrote:

No, no... i'm just afraid of things that could happend in a future...
    f.g. how to repair a car on highway? (simple hack the dll in engine folder, subfolder left valve...)
    or refridgerator... :mrgreen:

Future :?: this is pretty old stuff already. You want to go faster, you reprogram the onboard computer.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    kine wrote:

Can you upload the hacked dll, or is it installation specific? I gave up spanners and screw drivers a long time ago.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    I will prepare one for you... (from x86 RTM, or you want 68bit version?) - PM
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    68 bit ?? Is there a new processor type?

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • Options
    Waldo wrote:
    68 bit ?? Is there a new processor type?

Sure haven't you seen it, its basically a XEON with a 4004 on the same die.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    kine wrote:

new system? :mrgreen:

have you had any other problems with standard drivers for Vista (cameras, usbs, webcameras, etc...)

@David,
    you are right about chips in cars but they aren't so sofisticated yet to have a whole OS in it :)
  • Options
    kine wrote:

x86. I wasn't sure about compatibility on 64.
    David Singleton