Options

RAM Requirements for Windows Vista

WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
edited 2006-12-05 in General Chat
I just heared that the RAM requirements for Vista are 2Gb ... and 4Gb when you want to run VPC under Vista.

Can somebody confirm this?

I heared it (in an informal conversation) from a Microsoft Person, so this is quite "in house" information, which should be correct, no?

I can imagine, for a Laptop, this is no "easy" configuration. As I'm using a laptop for daily business, and VPC all over the place ... I should have 4 Gb when I want to run Vista??

Eric Wauters
MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
My blog

Comments

• Options
    I just looked up the price. It's about 2000€ extra, to have 4Gb in stead of 1 Gb in your laptop.

8-[
    :sick:

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • Options
    SteveOSteveO Member Posts: 164
    There are people who have reported that it works fine on less that 2GB, some say 1GB some say even 512MB.

I'm not sure about 4GB though... most new laptops are only capable of 2GB max! :?

edit: Just read that 2GB is recommended minimum for 64-bit version. 32-bit is 512GB recommended minimum (1GB recommended).
    Microsoft lists some Vista capable hardware on their web site. The "Vista Premium Ready" laptops they specify have Intel Core 2 Duo T5500 or above CPUs and 1 GB memory.

While Microsoft specifies 1 GB of main memory (RAM), Nigel Page of Microsoft has indicated that 2 GB is the ideal configuration for 64-bit Vista which processes data chunks that are double the size for those for 32-bit Vista, hence requiring double the memory.
    This isn't a signature, I type this at the bottom of every message
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    I am running Vista on my Notebook with 1GB, and sometime, it is not enough (swapping). And if you want to run VPC? Yes, 2GB will be minimum...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    That's what I was afraid for... .

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • Options
    PhennoPhenno Member Posts: 630
    I tried to install vista on vmware (shame on me, but i like it more than vpc) on host computer that has 512MB of RAM.

Vista refused to even install cause I had less than 512MB.
    >= 512MB is mandatory.
  • Options
    Joseph_Abou_NaderJoseph_Abou_Nader Member Posts: 150
    Waldo wrote:
    I just looked up the price. It's about 2000€ extra, to have 4Gb in stead of 1 Gb in your laptop.

8-[
    :sick:

Well, the best solution would be " NOT TO UPGRADE TO VISTA "...

Vista requires a very high hardware configuration to make it worth the upgrade...
    In addition to the 1 GB min requirements, 20 HD disk space and dvd Rom are inevitable.

Take Care
    Joseph Abou Nader
    MCLC,MCT,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,MCP
    You will never know what power you have until you take decisions in a hard time.
  • Options
    currently we are testing with 1 GB RAM and the Vista Ultimate ... . I'll let you know how it goes. It's all about user experience, so I'll let him play around for a couple of days, and that see how it goes...

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    OH NO !!!

After having my Laptop stolen, I had to run out and buy a new computer. Knowing that VPC would not run on my ancient 1Gig machine, I made sure I would have 2Gig so I could install Vista AND run VPC. So now it looks like just one or the other.

I guess dual boot then. ](*,)
    David Singleton
  • Options
    Yes, you can use dual boot or as I am - dual HDDs... :-) because my HDD is too small to keep two OSs, I am changing the HDD in my notebook (I have no external disk) when I need to use XPs. But it is only when my wife want to work on the notebook (she has not get used to Vista and Office 2007 yet). Because in many cases I can work with Nav over remote desktop, I do not need to run NAV client directly on my notebook, but I will be happy if I could...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    kine wrote:
    ... when my wife want to work on the notebook ...
    There is one general rule ... and it has nothing to do with Vista or XP ...
    If your wife wants to work with your machine (I mean: pc), always exchange harddisks!

I should put this in my signature... :-k

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • Options
    Waldo wrote:
    kine wrote:
    If your wife wants to work with your machine (I mean: pc), always exchange harddisks!

Umm sorry to disagree with you guys here, but the general rule is that your partner has their own computer, and doesn't come within a mile of your business machine 8)
    David Singleton
  • Options
    Waldo wrote:
    kine wrote:

Umm sorry to disagree with you guys here, but the general rule is that your partner has their own computer, and doesn't come within a mile of your business machine 8)

Well in my case, I even use seperate brands...I have a Toshiba A100--237 dual core...windows vista capable, and my fiance has HP-Compaq nx7010...

There is no way to share laptops man...

Take Care
    Joseph Abou Nader
    You will never know what power you have until you take decisions in a hard time.
  • Options
    =;
    ... for those who can afford ... I agree

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • Options
    I agree too, it is why she is using my notebook, because I am on my desktop PC playing game... :-)

(right now, I am preparing second desktop for her from my old one. I have just one problem - free space in my flat)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    Waldo wrote:
    =;
    ... for those who can afford ... I agree

Just to make it worse, my wife normally gets my old laptops when I finish with them. Before going to Convergence, her old computer died, so she said she would just use my computer during the day whilst I was at the conferences :shock: . So I decided to go and buy here a new one for safety. So one of the stolen laptops was 3 weeks old :cry:
    David Singleton
  • Options
    kine wrote:
    I agree too, it is why she is using my notebook, because I am on my desktop PC playing game... :-)

(right now, I am preparing second desktop for her from my old one. I have just one problem - free space in my flat)

Oh God, what is it with Dynamics and Games, I have never known anyone who works on Dynamics and not a games lover...I am currently playing Call of Duty 2....What are you interested in???????

Take Care
    Joseph Abou Nader
  • Options
    Second general rule ...

If you do computer science ... always foresee an extra room in your house for your PC-stuff ... . One that is sound proof. This is your private room, that is off limits for your wife.

:-k what was the topic again?

VPC does NOT work on Vista. Invalid operating system
    VMWare does work on Vista.

#-o

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • Options
    Waldo wrote:
    Second general rule ...

#-o

I am sorry not to mention that I am writing things off topic.... ](*,)
    Joseph Abou Nader
  • Options
    ...I have never known anyone who works on Dynamics and not a games lover...

So this is your first time ... Nice to meet you :wink:

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • Options
    Waldo wrote:
    Second general rule ...

If you do computer science ... always foresee an extra room in your house for your PC-stuff ... . One that is sound proof. This is your private room, that is off limits for your wife.

VPC does NOT work on Vista. Invalid operating system
    VMWare does work on Vista.

#-o

But what on opposite needs?
    Will Vista work IN VPC/VMWare?
  • Options

Oh God, what is it with Dynamics and Games, I have never known anyone who works on Dynamics and not a games lover...I am currently playing Call of Duty 2....What are you interested in???????

Take Care

The only games installed on my computer are the solitaire games that come with windows. :shock:
    David Singleton
  • Options
    Very good question. Didn't test this.
    Allthough I guess you loose all the graphical aspects of Vista. Also, Vista won't install below 512mb RAM (could be an issue).

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • Options
    Waldo wrote:
    Very good question. Didn't test this.
    Allthough I guess you loose all the graphical aspects of Vista. Also, Vista won't install below 512mb RAM (could be an issue).

Cause my home PC is for testing or suchs stuff, I put there enough MBs of RAM so RAM is not a problem. I had a problem with RAM at my office cause of poor "512MB only" PC that I'm working on.

VGA is a problem that will occure most probably but I don't know exact requirements for it or for full audio/video inspection of vista capabilites...
  • Options
    Phenno wrote:
    Waldo wrote:

VGA is a problem that will occure most probably but I don't know exact requirements for it or for full audio/video inspection of vista capabilites...

I believe a vista capable machine...will be just fine...having 256 MB VGA extendible to 512 MB when you upgrade from 512 mb memory to 1 GB memory.

Take Care
    Joseph Abou Nader
  • Options
    Test it and let us know :lol:

Eric Wauters
    My blog
  • Options
    I believe a vista capable machine...will be just fine...having 256 MB VGA extendible to 512 MB when you upgrade from 512 mb memory to 1 GB memory.

Take Care

Having a 256MB graphic card (or even worse, 512MB) is definitly not a standard at this moment. Vista will ship (probably) on every single machine that is selled after Vista release date or at least it should be Vista enabled so it meens every signle new PC will MUST have at least 256MB VGA...

hm :-k
  • Options
    I have 64MB VGA on my Notebook with Vista and no problem with the 1024x768.

I had the room for my PC with 5.1 Logitech repro... but now, there are stocks of papers etc. and I hope that it will be child room one day... (my flat has 4 rooms - kitchen, living room, bad room, PC room...). I have no choice... :-)

(Now I am interested in Splinter Cell Double Agent... :-))

I want to test the 64bit Vista on my PC but right now primary OS is still XP (secondary is Suse 10 and Vista are 3rd)...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    Waldo wrote:
    Second general rule ...

Now I see the confusion, I did not study computer science, I studied Engineering, so for me it was always priority to have a back yard where I could build bridges, and have room to park my Cat 992B.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    @kine
    Is that RTM version of Vista?
    Do you have/see all "lovely jubberly" features of Vista? I'm really confused with this part cause they were marketing very high graphic changes and requirements for Vista OS...

Btw, I read somehwere that only one Vista version will be allowed to be installed on virtual pcs (Developer version or something like that) but they didn't say is it only legally forbidden or it's actually blocked with some sort of software disabilities...

@David

:mrgreen:
  • Options
    Yes, it is RTM. And yes, I am using the Aero things there... (ATI MOBILITY Radeon 9700/64MB).

You can see my screenshots there:

http://msmvps.com/photos/kine/category2868.aspx
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.