Options

Misleading error message in NAV 5

JohnPJohnP Member Posts: 56
edited 2012-02-20 in NAV Tips & Tricks
Just to confuse you, Microsoft have fouled up an error message in NAV 5.
If you try to post a sales document with a posting date outside your permitted range, it tells you that:

“Posting Date must be completely preinvoiced before you can ship or invoice.”

Which is a bit misleading to say the least. The posting date check that is issuing the error is described by Microsoft article 885602. It appears that someone has managed to overwrite the error message text with something completely different.

What you need to do is open codeunit 80 and change global text constant Text045 so that it says:

“is not within your allowed range of posting dates.”
(which is what it was in v4)
Or
“is not in the range of posting dates that are permitted.”
(which is what article 885602 says)
Or
“is not within your range of allowed posting /tax point dates.”
(which is what the corresponding check in codeunit 90 says)

Or whatever is appropriate for the location you occupy in the space/time continuum.

Before doing this, you’ll notice that global text constant Text049 says exactly the same thing as Text045 so it looks like someone had a brain failure at some point when they were adding the pre-payment stuff to v5. A search on Partnersource failed to return anything other than article 885602 so it doesn’t look like anyone has noticed yet.

Cheers
John

Comments

• Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    Yeah I saw this last week at client on site.

I had to turn on the debugger to see why I was getting the error. :?
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Options
    Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    Yup, noticed it to after upgrading our own database.

Good thing people report this stuff to MS. I do not have enough patience for this. :?
  • Options
    vijayandersonvijayanderson Member Posts: 207
    Thanks John
  • Options
    aamontaltoaamontalto Member Posts: 1
    This misleading error message also appears when Invoicing a Service Order. The "...must be completely preinvoiced before you can ship, consume or invoice" message appears when in actual fact the error is a G/L out-of-date-range error. The global text constant may be found in Codeunit 5980 - Service-Post, Text Constant Text007 if you would like to modify the error text.
    AAM