Options

How to change code page in navision

Hi,

Do anyone can suggest me/guide me how to set codepage in navision.
I want type Arabic in Item card description field

Please warm regards
kris

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Slawek_GuzekSlawek_Guzek Member Posts: 1,690
    Hi,

If you want to type in Arabic you need to have an Arabic regional settings and arabic keyboard layout. This is the operating system setting, nothing to do with NAV.

The database codepage (or more precisely collation) will only let you to store and sort correctly typed characters. You cannot change the it within the code, or just for one table or field. It is a database property which is decided during database creation, and can be changed later on by setting the database in single user, and then changing collation in Tools -> Database-> Collation.

You can start with unticking the "Validate Collation" box which is sometimes helpful when you need to store a characters outside the current database collation - but you need to be aware that converting such a string to lower/upper case will mess entered data. Also when you sort on such field the results will likely be incorrect.

In your case if you type something in Description, most likely the "Search Description" will be updated incorrectly.

Slawek
    Slawek Guzek
    Dynamics NAV, MS SQL Server, Wherescape RED;
    PRINCE2 Practitioner - License GR657010572SG
    GDPR Certified Data Protection Officer - PECB License DPCDPO1025070-2018-03
  • Options
    kmkaotkmkaot Member Posts: 261
    I have only Navision native database and I am not using SQL. when I phase arabic text in the navision item description field it is showing junk but printing. issue is the text is breaking and also left alignment. It should be right aligned.

Please suggest..
  • Options
    KowaKowa Member Posts: 918
    edited 2017-09-27
    Take a look at the end of this thread
    https://forum.mibuso.com/discussion/30604/nav-in-arabic

You can also access some hidden functions in the MenuSuite by hitting F2 when editing captions as I explained here in German.
    http://www.msdynamics.de/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=14653&p=72654&#p72649
    Kai Kowalewski
  • Options
    kmkaotkmkaot Member Posts: 261
    thank you.
    will you tell me how to align text from right to left.

warm regards
  • Options
    Slawek_GuzekSlawek_Guzek Member Posts: 1,690
    There are no global settings in NAV allowing changing text alignment across the board. Default text alignment, or rather directionality, is controlled by Windows. If it is not somewhere in Regional Settings in Control Panel then I don't know if and where it can be. Perhaps there are some Windows registry settings allowing
    controlling text directionality in the OS, but I am not aware of any.

However.

Each control on a form or a report has a property called HorzAlign, where you can set it to be left, center or right. Changing test alignment requires editing the form, and changing the property.

It can be easily done in one form and a few controls, but it is a fixed setting only to be changed by changing the form/report field.

However easy it sounds there is a price that will have to be paid for that at the upgrade time. All modified standard objects would have to be reviewed then, and assessed if the modification is important and needs to stay, or it can or must be dropped in new system. HorzAlign is not available in new system, but someone will need to anayse all modified object and check if modifications are only the HorzAlign property changes, or maybe something else had been changed on the form, and it must be transferred to a page.

So be careful with Object Designer.

Slawek
    Slawek Guzek
    Dynamics NAV, MS SQL Server, Wherescape RED;
    PRINCE2 Practitioner - License GR657010572SG
    GDPR Certified Data Protection Officer - PECB License DPCDPO1025070-2018-03