Options

SAVEASPDF function does not use custom font correctly

Maria-SMaria-S Member Posts: 90
Hello experts!

Report in NAV2015, RDLC layout, custom font (Brandon Grotesque Regular), I need to produce PDF file.

When I use SAVEASPDF function for this report, it does not use the correct font (uses Sans Serif instead).
The same when I select Print > PDF on the request page.
But If I select Preview or Print>Word it uses correct font very well.
I tried to reinstall fonts on on client and service tier, but no luck.

I am thinking of doing SAVEASWORD and then import to blob and ConvertToPDF, but this seems like a weird workaround.

Maybe somebody knows how to make it work with SAVEASPDF?

Thanks!

Best Answers

• Options
    Answer ✓
    Middle you mean NST? Yes, it was installed there.

But do you think it makes difference? I mean, the Word version works in both manual and Job Queue mode, and PDF version does not work in both modes...
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    Hi NaviNab. The Report PDF Font Embedding in instance parameters.

I made a test - converted my .otf to .ttf, and tried again. Now the font is embedded.

So it seems the problem is that NAV/PDF engine cannot embed the OTF script. :(

Answers

• Options
    DuikmeesterDuikmeester Member Posts: 304
    Was the font also installed on the middle tier server!?
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    Middle you mean NST? Yes, it was installed there.

But do you think it makes difference? I mean, the Word version works in both manual and Job Queue mode, and PDF version does not work in both modes...
  • Options
    saki82saki82 Member Posts: 3
    Font has to be installed on all NSTs, if you have a separate NST for job queues (which runs and saves your report, im assuming), it has to be installed there too.
    Also, if a user is running the report, it has to be installed on the machine where RTC is running (Local PC or terminal server)
  • Options
    txerifftxeriff Member Posts: 492
    Hi,

There is a property called "PDFFontEmbedding" in the report. Ive never used it but maybe this helps on this.

• Options
    Yes, I forget to mention that PDFFontEmbedding property is actually set to 'Yes'.
  • Options
    I am returning to this issue again after some time :)

In this thread I found an interesting thing:

"Make sure your font is "Embeddable" and TrueType". My font is OTF :( .

Maybe anybody can confirm wether it is still true in NAV2015? If it is not, then it seems there is nothing I can do here, because our font is available only as otf, and EULA does not allow to convert font for commersial use...
  • Options
    NavNabNavNab Member Posts: 181
    Hi @Maria-S

Besides Report PDFFontEmbedding in the report, you need to check that "Report PDF Font Embedding" is active in your instance parameters (last tab "Reports").
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    Hi NaviNab. The Report PDF Font Embedding in instance parameters.

I made a test - converted my .otf to .ttf, and tried again. Now the font is embedded.

So it seems the problem is that NAV/PDF engine cannot embed the OTF script. :(