Migration from NAV2009r2 to NAV2017

AitorEGAitorEG Member Posts: 342
Hi everyone!

In a short time, I'll probably have to do a migration for a customer, as I've said in the tittle, fron 2009r2 to 2017. I know that in this case, I should first migrate to NAV2013, and after that, to the last version, the 2017.
But, I'm thinkings a few possibilities, that will make the job easier, and I will appreciate your point of view about this issue.
The changes in the NAV aren't critical, a few new fields in the tables, and nothing else really important. The most important issue is to migrae the data from the customer. So, I'm thinking to install a NAV2017 version in a machine, and just migrate the data, without merging the application data. Of course, I'm pretty sure that al least I should merge the tables, because of those new fields, that will be represented in the SQL tables. Is this possible? In summary, the procedure will be the next:
-Merge the table from 2009 to 2013, and after to 2017.
-Replace the tables from he 2017, with the merged ones
-Restore the SQL database in the new version, with the backup done in the old one.

Is this possible, or am I freaking out a little, and should make the whole migration process?
I will erally appreciate your opinion with this issue.
Thank you very much!

Comments

• NavNabNavNab Member Posts: 181
    Hi Aitor,

For me, "whole migration process" is the answer. For at least one reason : "DIMENSIONS".

You can, of course, gain some valuable time if you decide to redesign (maybe rethink also) your specific code instead of upgrading it.

The way I'm doing my 600->700/900 upgrades:

1- Archive my specific 600 data and roll back my database to Microsoft standard,
    2- Upgrade my database to 700 as described in MSDN,
    3- Upgrade my 700 database to 900 as described in MSDN,
    4- Apply my specific code to my upgraded database (I prepare my 900 code in a parallel dev database).
    5- Set back my archived specific data (from step 1) to the new tables in my upgraded database.

P.S: personally, I prefer to handle dimension migration "my way" and not "Microsoft way". So I disable this part in 600->700 upgrade toolkit. This is because almost all my customers like to change their dimensions structure.

I hope this will help.
  • mdPartnerNLmdPartnerNL Member Posts: 802
    what do you mean with disable? wat part of code?
    Upgrade601700.W1.2.fob (or Upgrade601700.CountryCode.2.fob depends on localization)

zivcm55zauhd.jpg
    ok, and then only the first 2 dimensions are left in the database (ledger, etc.). Correct?

and these are not used anymore..
    "ok, and then only the first 2 dimensions are left in the database (ledger, etc.). Correct?"

...well, please read the upgrade functions in order to understand the goal.

"and these are not used anymore.." I'm afraid I don't agree. Globals and shortcuts (also dimensions that are not shortcuts) are still used in recent version. The difference is that the architecture was enhanced by Microsoft. You can read about it here and here.

Please allow me to remind that you should not alter standard code until you're sure 1000% of what you're doing.
    didn't see those functions but was guessing they converted the old dim. combinations into the new smarter way.
  • AitorEGAitorEG Member Posts: 342
    Thank you both for your impressiones. SO, definitely, the best way to do a consistent upgrade, is to make the whole upgrade process. First, from 2009R2 to 2013m, and after from 2013 to 2017. am I right??

Really appreciate your help!
  • davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    You have to convert the database format using 2013. You can upgrade the data from 2009 to 2013 or 2103R2 or 2015.
    I personally favor going to 2015 since you can do a force sync to get rid of unwanted fields and tables without writing code.
    Just add the custom fields you want to keep the standard 2015 database.
    In 2017 add the fields and all your mods as well.
    2017 requires your item categories and product groups to be unique since it will convert all your product groups to item categories - so fix this first plus fix any dimension problems caused by people incroorectly editing global dimensions and the dimension tables.
    davmac1 wrote: »
    You have to convert the database format using 2013. You can upgrade the data from 2009 to 2013 or 2103R2 or 2015.
    I personally favor going to 2015 since you can do a force sync to get rid of unwanted fields and tables without writing code.
    Just add the custom fields you want to keep the standard 2015 database.
    In 2017 add the fields and all your mods as well.
    2017 requires your item categories and product groups to be unique since it will convert all your product groups to item categories - so fix this first plus fix any dimension problems caused by people incroorectly editing global dimensions and the dimension tables.

This "force sync to get rid of unwanted fields ". In which upgrade step is this an option?
    force sync is available from NAV 2015 onwards.
    2015 is the only release where it does not blow up the upgrade routines.
    You have that option when you import new table objects or delete them.
    ok, so while importing the 2015 standard table objects...then you can delete existing field/data?
    yes - if you choose force
  • jackclarke818jackclarke818 Member Posts: 3
    Microsoft Navision 2013 version can be upgraded to any upper version more easily that upgrading Navision 2009 version to 2013 version, as it does not involves removing any unused objects.
    As everyone knows that Microsoft has shut the operational support for Microsoft Dynamics Navision versions earlier than 2013 version. And it is highly recommended by Microsoft that the obsolete versions should be upgraded to the latest versions.

Steps for “How to upgrade NAV 2013 version to Nav 2016 Version”

Step 1 – Merging new Objects (Using Microsoft Cumulative Updates)
    The database if converted from 2009 to 2013 could have objects with old version list & functionalities, the cumulative updates for Nav 2013 should carefully be merged using Text comparison tools if the database is using customized objects.
    Step 2 – Compiling Objects
    After Merging objects from Cumulative update rollout’s, the database should be fully compilled in-order to run the Conversion process from 2013 to 2016.
    Step 3 – Converting Database / opening Database in 2016
    Dynamics Nav 2013 database can now directly be opened in Nav 2016 Development environment, system will start the Conversion process and updates the status on Progress window.
    Step 4 – Run Table Schema Synchronization
    Once the database is converted system will prompt to run the Table synchronization process, in order to make every object in sync. This can also be done using a PowerShell script.
    Step 5 – Creating Nav service for new database in 2016
    After every object is compiled, Nav services can be created using the Microsoft Dynamics Administration tool, create a Tenant using this tool by defining the unique ports for Management & Client Services
    Step 6 – Removing error from uncompelled objects
    There could be uncompiled objects in the Nav development environment, this should be fixed one by one by analyzing the error message for that object, or by updating the objects from Cumulative updates.
    You can also check this videos: https://www.paragyte.com/blog/upgrading-dynamics-nav-2009-r2-version-to-nav-2016-version-(part-1)?blogId=77
    https://www.paragyte.com/blog/upgrading-dynamics-nav-2009-r2-version-to-nav-2016-version-(part-2)?blogId=76
    yes - if you choose force

Sorry for repeating same question...

So a 2009 R2 database can be technically upgraded to 2015 (without conversions) and then you import 2015 objects.

Then you do the conversion.

you have to run step 1 and follow the upgrade instructions which include deleting all the objects except for tables. Then you bring the database up running 2013 from the folder, then you bring up 2015 from a 2015 installation
    What about the new data movements during the process? I will explain myself.
    In te migration for the customer, I should first upgrade from NAV2009 to 2013R2, and afer, from 2013R2 to 2017. The database, should be upgraded in certain steps of the procedure.
    Of course, while We're doing the whole procedure, the customer is still adding movements to the databasek, invoices, bills....
    Once the procedure is finished, with the old database upgraded, there will be new movements in the database, thar aren'nt upgraded. What will be the best practice to make the upgrade for tha latest version of the database?
    No, don't think that's the way to do it. While upgrading the database is offline.
    No, don't think that's the way to do it. While upgrading the database is offline.

Yes, I know the database is offline. i will do the upgrade in a replicated server, but during the procedure, the users still using NAv in the original server, creating new movements in the database. So, the upgraded database, ath the end of the procedure, won't be as updated as the database in the original server.
    With movements you mean creating invoices, journals? if so, you need to export it and import in new Live.

How much time does your upgrade steps (data conversion) take?
    With movements you mean creating invoices, journals?

Yes

if so, you need to export it and import in new Live.

What do you mean with this?

How much time does your upgrade steps (data conversion) take?

Probably a few weeks...
    I mean: ..then you export your invoices from the "old" db, and import in the new.

A few weeks is normally the time for the developer to "prototype" all upgrade steps with a copy of the Live customer db.

Then the customer can test the new upgraded db, client and server.

When all is ok and tested:

The developer upgrades the real Live db.
    I mean: ..then you export your invoices from the "old" db, and import in the new.

From NAV2009 to 2017?? There are not just invoices, also all the realated movement for that invoices, and other type of entries.

A few weeks is normally the time for the developer to "prototype" all upgrade steps with a copy of the Live customer db.

Then the customer can test the new upgraded db, client and server.

When all is ok and tested:

The developer upgrades the real Live db.

I understand what you mean, but I don't see the way to develop it. The problem is, that during the upgrade process, the customer will still working in the old machine.
    When the upgrade is tested and OK, I should upgrade of course the real Live db, but for this, I should make the whole procedure again, no? Am I right??
    yes, while prototyping you write down all steps + the time a step took + remarks.

then you know how long it will take in real life.

edited 2017-04-20
    So, in resume, this wiil be te correct procedure?
    1-While the customer still working in the real server, create a parallel server, for doing the upgrade steps, for example, solving different conflicts appear during the process.
    2-once the upgrade is made in the parallel server, customer/developer should made test
    3- When the test are OK, make the upgrade process, with the live db, and using the objects created in step 1, with conflicts solved.

During step 3, the customer shouldn't work with the database, am I right?
    you miss a lot of steps including customer testing and training.
    They need to be out of the system during the live upgrade.
    edited 2017-04-27
    For doing the first part of the upgrade, from NAV2009R2 to NAV2013R2, I'm following this guide:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/es-es/library/dn271649(v=nav.71).aspx

In the part of upgrading data (https://msdn.microsoft.com/es-es/library/dn271668(v=nav.71).aspx), I've read the following:
    If you upgrade from Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 R2 or Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 SP1, you can now close the Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 R2 or Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 SP1 development environment. In the remaining part of the data upgrade, you use Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2013 and Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2013 R2.
    What does this mean? Should I uninstall 2009 and install 2013? And after the 2013R2? Because as I understood, I cannot upgrade directly from NAV2009R2 to NAV2013R2... I think they cannot run both version at the same time in the same machine, am I right? Or should I run them in different machines?

Thank you very much!

you can run multiple versions on the same computer. You can run NAV 2013 without installing it from the folder - this is documented.
    you can run multiple versions on the same computer. You can run NAV 2013 without installing it from the folder - this is documented.

What do youn mean to run from fodler? As a portable program?

What do youn mean to run from fodler? As a portable program?
    from Windows Explorer. Sounds you need someone to come in and help you or find a remote resource