Product Posting Group

schoolkidschoolkid Member Posts: 103
Dear Sirs

I've a basic question. Sorry!

Do I need to define Product Posting Group, If I'm not going to use Items and Resources in Navision?

Thanks
Tom

Comments

• SnoopySnoopy Member Posts: 43
    A very interesting question, because why do you need an ERP-Software. But my answer is, no, you don't need.
  • schoolkidschoolkid Member Posts: 103
    Hello Snoopy!
    Many many thanks for your reply!! We are using ERP only for Financials.
    However when I try to post sales/purchase invoices with GL Account as line item, am getting error message saying "You must specify Gen. Prod. Posting Group in sales line"

Please advice

Thanks!!!
  • KTA8KTA8 Member Posts: 397
    I think you can do it throw accounts
  • AdamRoueAdamRoue Member Posts: 1,283
    Yep I think you always have to have one (never implemented it without items :D ), it is what drives the posting transaction in the posting setup. How have you set the posting setup for business and product combinations? I presume you have defined "one" and therefore if you are manually picking the ledger account you simply set the ledger account up with the product group as the default and your problem is solved.
    The art of teaching is clarity and the art of learning is to listen
  • reemareema Member Posts: 255
    edited 2009-08-04
    When it comes to My experience u should take that Product posting group based on that Items.

Stationery items means you need to create them as Items ,(you don’t want keep in u r inventory)
    Consumables items menas generally you need not create them as items.( you don’t want keep in u r inventory)
    In this situation just create one account as Miscellaneous Item account .

For example U defined only one account In General Ledger

Account Name = miscellaneous Items .

Generally you purchase 3 types of items 1. Stationary items, 2. Electrical items…

So define the Product posting groups As Stationary , Electrical

When you are purchasing Stationary items, Then create the Purchase invoice , select that account and select the Product posting groups As Stationary

When you are purchasing Electrical items , Then create the Purchase invoice , select that account and select the Product posting groups As Electrical

Based on this U can get proper results
    reema
  • schoolkidschoolkid Member Posts: 103
    Thanks much for your valuable suggestions!

I have defined only the Bus. Posting Group and NO combinations have been set in the posting setup as I'm not going to use Items.
    My question is:
    The AP/AR account is defined in the customer/vendor posting groups and the expense or income account is selected in the invoice line item, so why do I need to define Business and Product Posting groups and where it is used?

Thanks!
    Then use a general journal for this.

When you use the sales documents you trigger the posting setup code (I would guess), even if you are not using an item, not sure you can discable this through settings, I have never had to do this.
  • kapil4dynamicskapil4dynamics Member Posts: 591
    AdamRoue wrote:
    When you use the sales documents you trigger the posting setup code (I would guess)

This is true.
    not sure you can discable this through settings, I have never had to do this.
    Yes, it cannot be done without code.

As suggested already Using Journal would be best option for schoolkid.
    Kapil Khanna
    Thanks for confirming this Kapil :D
  • kapil4dynamicskapil4dynamics Member Posts: 591
    U r welcome. :D
    Kapil Khanna