Options

Solved

2»

Comments

• Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    bbrown wrote:
    But you're only looking at the salary. There's much more involved in maintaing a developer on staff. For a developer making $50 and hour, the partner cost is probably closer to $100 per hour. Don't forget about health and other benefits, taxes, plus training and resources. Also a partner must pay that developer regardless of there actually being billable work.

I think there was a basic assumption that a good consultant worth their salt never sleeps, only eats with one hand whilst working, never takes vacation, and only uses the bathroom once per day.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    bbrown wrote:
    But you're only looking at the salary. There's much more involved in maintaing a developer on staff. For a developer making $50 and hour, the partner cost is probably closer to $100 per hour. Don't forget about health and other benefits, taxes, plus training and resources. Also a partner must pay that developer regardless of there actually being billable work.

I think there was a basic assumption that a good consultant worth their salt never sleeps, only eats with one hand whilst working, never takes vacation, and only uses the bathroom once per day.

Face it, in the world of consulting your customers run your life.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • Options
    bbrown wrote:

was that a typo? I think you will find its spelt "ruin" :mrgreen:
    David Singleton
  • Options
    bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    bbrown wrote:

was that a typo? I think you will find its spelt "ruin" :mrgreen:

That too :D

I've always said, that either you absolutely love this business or you don't last.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • Options
    ssinglassingla Member Posts: 2,973
    ssingla wrote:
    Does the country comment makes some sense in a profession forum like Mibuso :shock:

That's an interesting observation, but I think you are making the wrong inference from that observation. I personally think that it makes good sense in this case.

My understanding is that the mention of country is relating to a specific market region of the Dynamics Product Group. And the simple fact that there are many questions coming from that region that should never get this far, indicates that there is a core issue with how the Dynamics product is being delivered in that region.

There is no true sense of mentoring and there is no "chain of command". Junior developer are not only being thrown into development task way over their capabilities without the proper channel of support, but now are also being told to solve business issue with code. The mid to long term effect of this will to be to transform the entire Navision market in that region to a point where the end users will lose all respect for the delivered product, and will blame the product for issues that should be aimed at the partner channel.

The question arises as to whether we as a community have any obligation to help fix this disaster, or if we should just turn a blind eye and let it collapse around us. Currently we are seeing this trend all over the world, but the FACT that it is happening a lot more in certain regions than others is the core issue here.

My personal opinion is that the desire to sell lower hourly rates is a driver for this. Currently most end users would rather pay for 1,000 hours at $25 per hour than 100 hours at $250 an hour, and the supply market is reacting to that trend. The turning point will be when customers look at the total cost of ownership of their Navision implementation, and not the hourly rate.

I agree to what you are saying and believe me that I am one of forum member who is troubled the most not only by the questions but the PM, unsolicited emails, phone calls and all the other options people might use. I am not trying to run away but this has become too much to be handled.

I have the nightmarish experience of working in the ruined implementation where nothing has gone right from the start. In most of the cases I found that consultant working on the project was not at fault but the company policies were responsible. There was no provision of the senior consultant on the project and associates technical consultants we preparing the setups. You can well think the results.......

Coming to the point of how to save this. I am of the opinion that unless there is some major structural changes in the MS policies which makes the partners more responsible for implementation, nothing we can do. We can write posts, blogs and we can discuss in the conference but nobody will notice or will change the way the business is run by them. We don't have the right authority to force some accountability or suggest change of business
    policies.
    CA Sandeep Singla
    http://ssdynamics.co.in
  • Options
    ssingla wrote:
    I agree to what you are saying and believe me that I am one of forum member who is troubled the most not only by the questions but the PM, unsolicited emails, phone calls and all the other options people might use. I am not trying to run away but this has become too much to be handled.

I have the nightmarish experience of working in the ruined implementation where nothing has gone right from the start. In most of the cases I found that consultant working on the project was not at fault but the company policies were responsible. There was no provision of the senior consultant on the project and associates technical consultants we preparing the setups. You can well think the results.......

Coming to the point of how to save this. I am of the opinion that unless there is some major structural changes in the MS policies which makes the partners more responsible for implementation, nothing we can do. We can write posts, blogs and we can discuss in the conference but nobody will notice or will change the way the business is run by them. We don't have the right authority to force some accountability or suggest change of business
    policies.

=D> =D> =D>

Well written. It really has reached breaking point, and I know that form your perspective you have a better view than many other community members.

There has to be something we can do, we need to put our heads together and come up with a plan. First though we need to decide if a/ is it really our job to fix this mess, and b/ will it actually be economically viable for us to help these people?
    David Singleton
  • Options
    bbrown wrote:
    What customers really want is that $250/hr developer, but they want to pay for the $25/hr programmer.

Yes but paradoxically the opposite has now happened.

There are clients now paying the $250 per hour, but in fact getting a $25 per hour developer. That is bad for everyone.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    ssinglassingla Member Posts: 2,973
    bbrown wrote:
    What customers really want is that $250/hr developer, but they want to pay for the $25/hr programmer.

Yes but paradoxically the opposite has now happened.

There are clients now paying the $250 per hour, but in fact getting a $25 per hour developer. That is bad for everyone.

Even worse that some companies are trying to sell NAV and earn partner discount. Successful implementation does not figure in their scheme of things. Though their life will be short but they will create unbearable loss to NAV in the long run.
    There has to be something we can do, we need to put our heads together and come up with a plan. First though we need to decide if a/ is it really our job to fix this mess, and b/ will it actually be economically viable for us to help these people?
    IMHO we will not be able to make much impact primarily due to lack of support, global presence, authority etc., even if we create enough monetary resource for such a campaign, unless MS decides to lend his hand to us. We are mostly the people who works and not the business owners. Even the few business owners among us do not control sizable NAV implementations. With MS policies of giving partner access (NAV) with or without background/business plan/infrastructure, many new faces has come in the business. In some of these cases I have observed that the spirit of quality service is missing.
    On the other side I will continue to do what I am doing: consultancy/training/advice to the end-users/consultants, no matter whether I will generate positive results for the NAV business or not (I have not generated anything significant as of now :oops: ).
    CA Sandeep Singla
    http://ssdynamics.co.in
  • Options

Hmm just thinking it through, that statement is not correct. Since in between the customer paying the $250 and the Programmer cost of $25, someone is putting $225 in their pocket. So may be not bad for everyone after all.
    David Singleton