Solved

questionquestion Member Posts: 11
edited 2009-06-22 in NAV Three Tier
<Edit>

Comments

• questionquestion Member Posts: 11
    No takers :(
  • AdamRoueAdamRoue Member Posts: 1,283
    So when you bring in your cost on the sales analysis what is it telling you - average?
    The art of teaching is clarity and the art of learning is to listen
    edited 2009-06-11
    <Edit>
    I would say if you are getting the correct cost then no :D

I would add transfer orders, but you do not average cost by location, customer returns would affect cost as would manufacrturing output.
    edited 2009-06-11
    <Edit>
    Basically I do not believe you can.

The average cost is made up of "every entry". All you can get is the cost at the time as per the entries. What average cost would you want anyway - the average cost today? Makes no sense. If you take the costs the system is presenting to you these will be the average costs at the time of the transaction, with any adjustments I believe, so the cost is your average cost. Still I have not looked at this from this perspective, so you will need to look at it, but it partly depends upon what you mean by your original question.
    edited 2009-06-11
    <Edit>
    edited 2009-06-11
    <Edit>
    edited 2009-06-11
    <Edit>
    I do not think you will not be able to do this. As you are not tracking average cost by location within NAV then the calculation of the average will not be correct, why do they not want to turn this on? If you pull out the cost against warehouse B it will give you the average cost, lets say 10, but if it was the first transaction at 15 then the average cost at B is 15. However you should be able to get this out. Of course your export will need on hand by warehouse.

What you need to do is analyse why the ones that are wrong are wrong. You have the detail, you have what you feel it should be, so compare one item and work it out. I am not sure if this is due to the average not being held by location or your export. Set the parameter, run the export and see what happens (in a test environment of course)
    Solved . Thanksx a lot for help.
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Why did you go back and remove all of your postings :-k ? Now nobody will be able to read about this.
    Typical... I got a PM from "question", says their senior made them remove it... you have to wonder... ](*,)
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    That's just selfish. I'm sure their senior use mibuso to search whenever they need. I wonder how they felt if all post had EDIT on it.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    @question:
    Please refrain from posting further questions in this forum. If you don't want to share knowledge, then this is not the right place for you.
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    ara3n wrote:
    That's just selfish. I'm sure their senior use mibuso to search whenever they need. I wonder how they felt if all post had EDIT on it.

This really is the status of affairs these days, these people are not here to learn, they are not here to help, they are here to get us to replace training and to do their work for them (Which we are doing).

My guess is that this is an offshore development company, and they are concerned that the end user may identify the issue as their issue, and then figure out that they are being scammed and their project is being done off shore.

I am a very open member of this community, and enjoy the openness of the community, but it has reached breaking point. In this case the member should be banned by IP address to prevent this happening in future.
    David Singleton
    it has reached breaking point.
    I've been thinking along similar ways for a long time now. It seems that more than half of the new posts are what I like to call "tutoring requests", asking for comprehensive instruction about any given topic. It's not so much the questions themselves that bother me, but it's the attitude that you get when you ask for more information, or when you try to gently suggest that the forums is not the right place to get this information. For a while I've thought about just quitting the forums altogether, because I was not enjoying it at all anymore.

It's bad enough that customers these days only look at hourly rates, and lots of work is being shipped to cheap labor. I won't get into what I really feel about that, that's another discussion. What's even worse is that often those people don't know jack about what they are doing, their employers give them no real support, no mentoring, no training. All they get is a couple of URL's to some braindump sites and the forums, they come in here to get educated, and we end up giving away the tricks of the trade while they are billing their customers while they wait for answers.

It took a major attitude adjustment to start enjoying the forums again, because this was eating away at me, especially after receiving some particularly nasty PM's. I decided to ignore certain types of questions, and certain types of answers, and simply not cooperate with the tutoring requests. Slowly but surely I started enjoying my time on the forums again, I just had to get used to the large number of posts to wade through before getting to the good ones. If these companies (and it's really not just the offshoring ones, there's a ton of them all across the world) want to design their business process like this that is fine, but I will not be a part of it. I am more than happy to share any knowledge that I have, and I have no problem walking someone through an entire process, but I refuse to be somone's free online tutor, I have better things to do.
    Just for the record as question removed the original post the questions went like this:

1. How do I get the average cost in the sales analysis.

2. I am summing positive entries, purchase cost invoiced and actual - is this enough.

3. I am exporting table 32 and the average cost is matching the item card sometimes but not all the time. I want average cost by location, but the client does not have it turned on as a parameter.

It is now solved. This will be because they looked at the export they had written and fixed it. Not sure why they are doing this, why the questions were asked as they did etc.
    Basically I share the same opinions as David and Daniel. It is becoming frustrating, it is annoying when someone posts a question and three hours later asks "any takers". Many of the questions are so basic that the help has not been looked at, or they have no concept of the business process or the software or both. Answer are not understood, sometimes they are ignored, many times the right questions are not asked.

In all the biggest losers in all of this will be NAV as a brand, but more especially the NAV customers. Sites will go live horribly, disasters will be more frequent - the software will be blamed, when it is actually the fault of the channel. Obviously I could go on, but there is nothing I feel we can really do.

I have given up answering some people, but all in all I stay on the forums as I am addicted, pure and simple :D If I feel like I am tutoring, or the question takes an hour to type an answer the likelihood is I will pass. Most of all the odd politeness and thank you would not go amiss, we are not paid for this and do it because we want to.
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    For the questions that I gave up answering, my answer is:
    "You need more help than this forum can provide, please consult with your solution provider to assist you." Or something along that line.

But then, someone will come in and try to address the question... :(
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    I agree with the previous posts. I know I've been guilty of some of these things, like asking here before searching through help or manuals, but I'd like to think as I've become more knowledgeable on NAV as my career has progressed.

I don't know if there are others who had a similar experiences learning NAV as I did, so I'd like to share. I started out of college as a NAV developer for an add-on solution. Had never even heard of ERP or Navision before. My managers didn't really help me learn the product and when they found out I had asked questions on here they told me not to ask anymore for fear of sharing information about their product. I wanted to be good at my job, but didn't know how. Couldn't find training material and couldn't find anyone to teach me. So I left.

Next I was at the more traditional partner. Still no one really teaching me, but at least someone finally told me what partnersource was (after I'd been doing this for over a year) and I found some documentation about the product other that C/AL syntax. So I finally learned something about Financials, Warehouse, etc. Learned how the posting routines worked and had actual projects.

Now I work for an end user. I support over 200 users and since my company doesn't want to pay $175/hr for help, there's really nowhere to turn to other than forums like this. Luckily I can do 99.99% of what they want. We also pay our maintenance fees, so we have access to the latest documentation. Not always the case, although I'd imagine if a customer has a dedicated developer they are probably playing their enhancement.

Like I said, I don't know if others have had similar experiences, but I guess what I'm going for is that sometimes, the "millenium club" posters here are the only ones people have to ask. We don't all have senior developers / implementers to learn from, and a lot of us have no one to learn from. Now that I'm a lot more confident about what I'm doing I try to help people here...I almost feel obligated after all the help I've received. And when I see people ask what I think is a stupid question, I remember "Hey, I used to be that person with no one else to turn to."
    AdamRoue wrote:
    I have given up answering some people, but all in all I stay on the forums as I am addicted, pure and simple :D If I feel like I am tutoring, or the question takes an hour to type an answer the likelihood is I will pass. Most of all the odd politeness and thank you would not go amiss, we are not paid for this and do it because we want to.
    I couldn't said it better.

It's annoying to see the large increase in the number of questions à la "Help me urgent". And for some reason, the questioners seems to live all in that same country. But I learned to just ignore those kind of questions. Also the PM's I receive with these kind of questions are remained unanswered.

You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink.
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • ssinglassingla Member Posts: 2,973

It's annoying to see the large increase in the number of questions à la "Help me urgent". And for some reason, the questioners seems to live all in that same country. But I learned to just ignore those kind of questions. Also the PM's I receive with these kind of questions are remained unanswered.

You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink.

Does the country comment makes some sense in a profession forum like Mibuso :shock:
    CA Sandeep Singla
    http://ssdynamics.co.in
    ssingla wrote:
    Does the country comment makes some sense in a profession forum like Mibuso :shock:
    It's only an observation.
    ssingla wrote:

That's an interesting observation, but I think you are making the wrong inference from that observation. I personally think that it makes good sense in this case.

My understanding is that the mention of country is relating to a specific market region of the Dynamics Product Group. And the simple fact that there are many questions coming from that region that should never get this far, indicates that there is a core issue with how the Dynamics product is being delivered in that region.

There is no true sense of mentoring and there is no "chain of command". Junior developer are not only being thrown into development task way over their capabilities without the proper channel of support, but now are also being told to solve business issue with code. The mid to long term effect of this will to be to transform the entire Navision market in that region to a point where the end users will lose all respect for the delivered product, and will blame the product for issues that should be aimed at the partner channel.

The question arises as to whether we as a community have any obligation to help fix this disaster, or if we should just turn a blind eye and let it collapse around us. Currently we are seeing this trend all over the world, but the FACT that it is happening a lot more in certain regions than others is the core issue here.

My personal opinion is that the desire to sell lower hourly rates is a driver for this. Currently most end users would rather pay for 1,000 hours at $25 per hour than 100 hours at $250 an hour, and the supply market is reacting to that trend. The turning point will be when customers look at the total cost of ownership of their Navision implementation, and not the hourly rate.
    David Singleton
    Sorry the "another post has been made since you posted" thingy got me.
    David Singleton
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    ... Currently most end users would rather pay for 1,000 hours at $25 per hour than 100 hours at $250 an hour, and the supply market is reacting to that trend. The turning point will be when customers look at the total cost of ownership of their Navision implementation, and not the hourly rate.

What customers really want is that $250/hr developer, but they want to pay for the $25/hr programmer.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    bbrown wrote:
    What customers really want is that $250/hr developer, but they want to pay for the $25/hr programmer.

That's always the case, no matter the country or customer. Want more for less. I think the problem comes when the developer gets to that point. Even a six-figure salary is only roughly $50/hr (can't believe I just said only in that case). But they see the partner charging $175 - $250/hr for their service. They realize they can make more than $50/hr, but undercharge the partner and go work directly for the end users. Customer benefits (assuming the developer is actually worth anything and not someone who cheated their way to some certs) and the developer benefits. Obviously more goes into it than that, but I think it makes it hard for partners to keep talented people on staff.
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    But you're only looking at the salary. There's much more involved in maintaing a developer on staff. For a developer making $50 and hour, the partner cost is probably closer to $100 per hour. Don't forget about health and other benefits, taxes, plus training and resources. Also a partner must pay that developer regardless of there actually being billable work.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
    Hmmm, 2,000 billable hours per year. :whistle:
    David Singleton