Navision expert

southindiansouthindian Member Posts: 247
Hello,

How can u tone urself as a Navision Expert (Both as Techinical and Functional)??????? How can improve my skills in both? wat are the ways that i can follow so that i can improve ...... wat are the PDF i should read to improve my knowledge........

Comments

• Johan_007Johan_007 Member Posts: 53
    hi, i would suggest you look at what modules you know and see which you are not so good in and practice different scenarios on them.
  • idiotidiot Member Posts: 651
    This forum is a good place to start
    NAV - Norton Anti Virus

ERP Consultant (not just Navision) & Navision challenger
  • djswimdjswim Member Posts: 277
    Though not ideal, you can certainly learn a lot about NAV using the training manuals available at Parner/Customersource
    "OMG ALL MY DATA IS GONE"
    "Show All..."
    "Oh..."
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Same with any other profession.

Practice, practice, PRACTICE!!!

I remembered my first training session to the end user on Cash Receipts. I practiced for 3-4 hours preparing for every possible scenario that may come up.

I'm proud to say that I can now do cash receipt journal blind folded... Too bad they released Deposits... :(
    Another thing, if you're interested in learning development, start by taking a raw native database with Cronus data, increasing the size of the Item code field by any amount and then using TDK to find where all the other variables and fields are that need to be increased as well... it's a horribly long and boring process but it's a great way to see the guts of the program... plan on about 50 hours for your first attempt and make sure you have someone you can go to for help.
    "Show All..."
    "Oh..."
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Hello,

How can u tone urself as a Navision Expert (Both as Techinical and Functional)??????? How can improve my skills in both? wat are the ways that i can follow so that i can improve ...... wat are the PDF i should read to improve my knowledge........

The first thing is to not expect that reading PDFs will make you an expert. :mrgreen:
    David Singleton
    djswim wrote:
    Another thing, if you're interested in learning development, start by taking a raw native database with Cronus data, increasing the size of the Item code field by any amount and then using TDK to find where all the other variables and fields are that need to be increased as well... it's a horribly long and boring process but it's a great way to see the guts of the program... plan on about 50 hours for your first attempt and make sure you have someone you can go to for help.

Hmmm I would think the only good thing to come of that exersize would be to teach you why this is somethign that should NEVER be done. :D
    David Singleton
    Alex Chow wrote:
    Same with any other profession.

Practice, practice, PRACTICE!!!

I remembered my first training session to the end user on Cash Receipts. I practiced for 3-4 hours preparing for every possible scenario that may come up.

I'm proud to say that I can now do cash receipt journal blind folded... Too bad they released Deposits... :(

=D>

For sure this is what I recommend also. The first thing is to learn how Navision works, learn how the user can use the product.

As to Cash Receipts, I was in a situation some time back, where the client needed to do something in Deposits that was quite complex. They only did it once a month, so I asked them why they didn't just use a Cash Receipt Journal. The answer being that their consultant told them Deposits was the only way to do it.

Obviously the consultant had only ever seen Deposits, and had never bothered to learn the rest of the Navision application.
    David Singleton
    Hmmm I would think the only good thing to come of that exersize would be to teach you why this is somethign that should NEVER be done. :D

Absolutely... I only had to do it once :)
    "Show All..."
    "Oh..."
  • southindiansouthindian Member Posts: 247
    Any other good and valuable suggestion ........ especially Navision Experts
  • Sandeep_PrajapatiSandeep_Prajapati Member Posts: 151
    Dear,
    there is no shortcut. the only way is to Learn <--> Practice <--> Play around All side by side...!!
    BTW I can't say myself a navision expert.... I am still learning. And It will continue till I leave navision or leave ......earth .... :wink:
    and I believe same applies to everybody here....... O:)
    Sandeep Prajapati
    Technical Consultant, MS Dynamics NAV
    Dear,
    there is no shortcut. the only way is to Learn <--> Practice <--> Play around All side by side...!!
    BTW I can't say myself a navision expert.... I am still learning. And It will continue till I leave navision or leave ......earth .... :wink:
    and I believe same applies to everybody here....... O:)

I am still learning Navision. =D>
    David Singleton
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    I think it all depends on your definition of an expert. Certainly having a solid understanding of the product is the first step, but very few, if any, people know every detail of Navision.

My definition of a Navision expert can be thought of as a combination of three things:

1) Knows the product, not necessarily inside and out, but enough to know when something is a good idea and when something is a bad idea. They know it well enough to remember that things can be done, even if they can't tell you how to do it right then and there.

2) Knows where to find information. Obviously if you're here it's a good start. If you have access to partersource and customersource or other documentation sources that's the best thing. I personally save every piece of NAV documentation I find for fear it will disappear.

3) Knows that they will never know it all, but is always trying to learn more. You can always have a better understanding of the content or find new ways to do things. And NAV is always going to have new features every couple of years. Just look at the differences even between 4.0 and 5.0 and then 5.0 and 2009.

Just my two cents.
    matttrax wrote:
    My definition of a Navision expert can be thought of as a combination of three things:

1) Knows the product, not necessarily inside and out, but enough to know when something is a good idea and when something is a bad idea. They know it well enough to remember that things can be done, even if they can't tell you how to do it right then and there.

2) Knows where to find information. Obviously if you're here it's a good start. If you have access to partersource and customersource or other documentation sources that's the best thing. I personally save every piece of NAV documentation I find for fear it will disappear.

3) Knows that they will never know it all, but is always trying to learn more. You can always have a better understanding of the content or find new ways to do things. And NAV is always going to have new features every couple of years. Just look at the differences even between 4.0 and 5.0 and then 5.0 and 2009.

Just my two cents.

Bingo on all this. Only one thing I would add to #2: Has people they can call/contact (including knowing to come here and ask) regarding the tough stuff. My brother and I both work with NAV and neither one of us would be nearly as good if we couldn't pick up the phone when we get stuck. It's really nice to have a few people that you can call (and can call you). This is WAY easier if you work for a partner...
    "Show All..."
    "Oh..."
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    You know it is refreshing to see someone who is not afraid to say they don't know everything and that they actually get help right when they need it. =D>
    Wait... did I say I didn't know everything?

There goes my reputation :wink:
    "Show All..."
    "Oh..."
    Thanks for giving valuble suggestions and ideas....... Further Sugesstions and ideas are most welcome
  • AdamRoueAdamRoue Member Posts: 1,283
    As much as you practive there is no replacing actually having to implement the software, providing a solution for the customer - this is where you really learn what you do not know as you try to answer the questions you never thought of asking yourself.

8 years on and numerous versions as a consultant I would say I do not know half of Navision from a functional and technical viewpoint, it is difficult to keep speed with the changes. So do not be too harsh on yourself.

Prior to having my first site to implement I came onto here and Dynamics.net and read what people were posting, I read the answers and where there were none I tried to solve them to help people out - this is excellent real world learning.
    The art of teaching is clarity and the art of learning is to listen
  • jlandeenjlandeen Member Posts: 524
    I think that is one thing that a lot of partners & consultants overlook. Simply having the certifications and a few implementations under your belt will not make you an expert.

Each implementation, modification & new version of the product help you hone your skills and understanding of Navision and it is a big product. I truly don't think that there is anything other then time & experience that will make you an expert...you just can't.

That being said I think some things can help speed the process along:
    - having some good mentors/team members to draw upon
    - working with within different aspects of the system
    - working on different installations

I think all of those things can help you get better somewhat faster but it still takes time.
    Jeff Landeen - Sr. Consultant
    Epimatic Corp.

http://www.epimatic.com
  • idiotidiot Member Posts: 651
    Just got enlightened by seniors, something IMHO is very meaningful, would like to share this:
    "You can be an expert in a software, but if you cannot implement the software successfully, you're just a software expert, which is nothing."
    NAV - Norton Anti Virus

ERP Consultant (not just Navision) & Navision challenger
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    The true expert is not the person that thinks they know everything, but rather the person that understands the available resources and knows when it's time to ask for help.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
    thanks once again...... try to keep this topic alive...... :whistle:
  • KYDutchieKYDutchie Member Posts: 345
    Hi,

I am in the ERP software as a developer/programmer for about 15 years now, about 2 years with Navision. And what helped me a lot through all these years, was an advice that I got in my first year in ERP. I got it from a 30 year veteran. He told me, that nobody knows everything and when you work with a user or a consultant, start out with asking these 4 simple questions, before making a change to any ERP package:

1. Why do you want this?
    2. Did you look for an alternate way to get the results?
    3. Where do you want to see the changes and the results?
    4. Where can I get additional advice ? Never be afraid to ask!

I am getting older and more experienced, but I am still learning everyday! Ever more slowly...but hey, that is old age. :?

Hope this helps,

Willy
    Fostering a homeless, abused child is the hardest yet most rewarding thing I have ever done.
  • jlandeenjlandeen Member Posts: 524
    I think that's a very important insight that I wish had been used more on some of my projects. Navision has some very good development capabilities that can be used to modify the product every which way....but I find some consultants & NSC's rush to develop entirely new functionality when they could have used existing code a different way or with a much smaller change.

The closer you can stay to base code the more supported the solution will be in the long run and shorter your development cycle will be.
    Jeff Landeen - Sr. Consultant
    Epimatic Corp.

http://www.epimatic.com
    One more Query , actually My office work starts from morning 8.30 am to evening 6.30pm..... After that we were not strictly allowed to stay in office after 6.30pm....... i dont have PC in my home , due to this even though i have hard copy of navision PDF i cant practice....... i do think so they is no use unless until i practice it in PC......... kindly advice me in this
  • ssinglassingla Member Posts: 2,973
    Yep, You need to practise with the system. Theortical knowldege becomes useless if not applied.
    CA Sandeep Singla
    http://ssdynamics.co.in
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    There's nothing wrong with reading the PDF after work, take notes, and then practice once you get access to a computer. It is much more efficient to have a computer there when you study, but you learn a lot from reading the material. Some people would even learn more that way because they are not distracted by the computer.

Is it possible for you to purchase your own computer? Maybe your company will get you a laptop?
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    One more Query , actually My office work starts from morning 8.30 am to evening 6.30pm..... After that we were not strictly allowed to stay in office after 6.30pm....... i dont have PC in my home , due to this even though i have hard copy of navision PDF i cant practice....... i do think so they is no use unless until i practice it in PC......... kindly advice me in this

Maybe your boss is on to something there by stricting you to NOT work after 6:30pm. Your brain needs to recharge after a certain amount of stress. If you do not take the proper time to rest your brain, you won't be able to learn anything.
    Alex Chow wrote:
    Maybe your boss is on to something there by stricting you to NOT work after 6:30pm. Your brain needs to recharge after a certain amount of stress. If you do not take the proper time to rest your brain, you won't be able to learn anything.

I disagree... I've found that after long hours reading manuals and practicing in Cronus I then learn how to drool, nap on my keyboard, and develop a wicked caffeine addiction :)
    "Show All..."
    "Oh..."
    Dear sirs,

am planning to develop my skills in Maufacturing module....... Can some one get me the complete standard process flow (means General idea)........ either by flow diagram or wat ever format..... can any one help me........... #-o expecting experts sugessions