UPdate Editable in a table

2»

Comments

• EugeneEugene Member Posts: 309
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7516874.stm

"The counting of zeros had already become a nightmare for bankers and shoppers "

"the banks recently agreed to lop six zeros off transactions and documentation"
  • XypherXypher Member Posts: 297
    edited 2008-07-25
    Well then, thank you Eugene. I will continue by putting my foot in my mouth. :-#
  • KowaKowa Member Posts: 923
    For this case of hyperinflation ( we had this in Germany in 1922/1923, my granny told me some dreadful stories about it… ) I would again suggest the Euro Conversion Tool to divide all decimal fields by 100000. If the banks are doing that too, that is the only way to ensure that your figures are consistent. Knocking off the zeros only in one place really is no solution.
    Kai Kowalewski
    the problem with Euro Conversion Tool is that it will basically ZERO older historic data in ledger tables because several years ago prices were well below 1mil so would be rounded down to zero
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Savatage wrote:
    how did "these numbers" (still unknown) get so large?

and even so is simply changing the value a responsibile move?
    what will it effect?

Try google and search for "Zimbabwe inflation", they just hit 2million percent last week.
    David Singleton
    I don't think the Euro conversion tool is the solution here. The only really way is to start new.

basically you need to start a new Database, bring everything across clean divided by a huge factor. I thin at this point if you owe a company 10,000,000 of what ever, its irrelevant anyway. Since he wont even buy a loaf of bread with the money you owe him for the Factory you purchased.

This is a catastrophe, and normal solutions do not apply. What is most likely is that very soon companies will be doing business in only dollars or Euros. When that happens you are going to need to start a new database again, so keep all those conversion tools that you created.

Its a really bad situation, and I hope it gets sorted fast. People are starving because of this right now.
    David Singleton
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    Would setting up a new currency, with a currency exchange rate of 1000000 make sense, and then do some sort of revaluation?
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Kowa wrote:
    For this case of hyperinflation ( we had this in Germany in 1922/1923, my granny told me some dreadful stories about it… ) I would again suggest the Euro Conversion Tool to divide all decimal fields by 100000. If the banks are doing that too, that is the only way to ensure that your figures are consistent. Knocking off the zeros only in one place really is no solution.

I remember reading a paper in college stating that countries that suffered from hyper inflation usually enjoy long periods of strong economic growth after WW1 and WW2. I mean, of course, Germany and Japan.

So the hyper inflation may be a good thing in Zimbabwe. This is assuming that the government has a "hands off" approach to economic problems and social conditions are under control.
    Alex Chow wrote:
    I remember reading a paper in college stating that countries that suffered from hyper inflation usually enjoy long periods of strong economic growth after WW1 and WW2. I mean, of course, Germany and Japan.

So the hyper inflation may be a good thing in Zimbabwe. This is assuming that the government has a "hands off" approach to economic problems and social conditions are under control.

:shock:
    David Singleton
    sidebar: The hyper inflation in Germany during the earliy 1900's was partly caused by very bad economic policies. What it basically boils down to is that the government was simply printing money without a standard behind it (the basic theory very crudely explained is that you can only print money for as much value as you have gold as a standard). Only AFTER WW II, AFTER the culprits were taken out did the situation improve, because the relationship between the standard and the currency was restored (among a LOT of other things). This was by no means a hands off approach, it took some very heavy intervention.

Unfortunately, Zimbabwe seems to be in some sort of trouble, and the economic situation will not improve unless drastic measures are taken. This type of things doesn't just fix itself. To suggest that this type of hyper inflation is 'good' is not an accurate description. It is certainly not the cause of extended economic growth.
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    edited 2008-07-25
    Dang... Don't get me started on this subject.

This is probably getting into economic policy and political debate. But I'm a stronger believer in captialism and that any market will correct itself. I do believe Zimbabwe will fix itself without intervention. It just needs a strong government to eliminate the dissent warlords.

I'm also a firm believer that in any economy, no intervention by the government or control bodies is the best the best remedy for long term economic growth.

Government should only be there to control social condition, not the economy. Government should control crime, corruption, etc so businesses can thrive. If the social conditions are met, the economy will follow. It's tough to do business in fear.

Hyper inflation will cause real damage in the short term, no question about that and it's sad to see peopel starve, but it may be a necessary evil... :(
    I am not going to get into this argument in this forum. Suffice to say that I STRONGLY disagree with that [-X
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    #-o so many answers, but only a few for the question :whistle:

The problem in Zimbabwe is homemade by Robert Mugabe.
    In past Zimbabwe (Rhodesia / South-Rhodesia) was the richliest country in africa. For more infos: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zimbabwe
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    Back to question:
    i understand it so: You need to div a value, like 2000000, through, for example, 1000 to show it on reports or in some text boxes.

So, also an non editable field is able to modify in a report.
    YOURRECORDVARIABLE.DECIMALFIELD := YOURRECORDVARIABLE.DECIMALFIELD / 10000;
    YOURRECORDVARIABLE.modify;

But why you need this on G/L Entry or Cust. Ledger Entry :?: Only because your hyperinflation. If yes, the easiest way is: start with a new company in Nav (if the law allow this in Zimbabwe)
    Do you make it right, it works too!
    My suggestion is to close financial year and make a back-up copy so u can have data for previous years.
    Then use Euro Convertion tool to devide all amounts by 1mil and use that new currency unit with 6 lop zeros