Options

I am Navision-screwed.

DaedalusDaedalus Member Posts: 30
edited 2006-04-14 in Navision Financials
I have a problem, it's a bit of a story so bear with me.

This company bought Navision around three years ago. They have been using it with whatever db software that comes with it (i dont know) and have never upgraded.

When I started working here the SysAdmin knew more than anyone about Navision and he never bothered to show me.

Now we have a new SysAdmin and we both know nothing about Navision. I will be the one learning the software but I find the manuals hard to go through.

A higher-up wants all the computers inventoried and he wants us to put it all in Navision. The only problem is that to properly inventory the computers, I need to create a new card (form?) with new tabs and new fields.

I am assuming this is leading up to me having to manipulate the database but I have no idea how to do this or where the database even is.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

I almost forgot to mention that we are using Navision 2.6.F (US 2.6.B).

We also haven't had any luck figuring out how to give me the SUPER role.
"A man without beer is like a man without water, thirsty and sober!"

Comments

• Options
    SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    Somehow I feel this post will contain many many posts :lol:

Let's start slow.
    Does anyone have the SUPER role?
    Do you have access to the Object Designer?
    Which Manuals do you have?
    When you say Inventory the computers - are you talking Office Computers or are you selling computers?
  • Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,098
    And another question:
    Do you use the Navision-DB or a SQL-DB?
    This you can check easily: if you use "fin.exe" you use the Navision-DB. If you use "finsql.exe", you use the SQL-DB.
    (With the SQL-DB, it is easier to get a SUPER-account.)

And with this post, I am also watching this topic. :mrgreen:
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• Options

I'm not sure. I know that some users do but I also am not exactly sure how to check.

Under Tools > Security there are Roles, Database, and Windows logins. I, myself, do not have a database login. When I go to Roles, select SUPER, and click Role > Windows Logins, I am listed. When I go to Tools > Security > Windows logins it says that I am only a user.

There is a ton of that ring around the rosie crap, so, again, I am not sure.

I can open the designer and object designer. I can create a new form. When I try to save it, it tells me that I don't have the proper permissions.

Application Designer's Guide
    Contact Management
    Fixed Assets
    General Ledger
    Human Resources, Resources and Jobs
    Installation and System Management - MS SQL Server Option
    Installation and System Management - Navision Server
    Introduction
    Inventory
    Multilanguage
    Purchases & Payables
    Sales and Recieveables
    Setup Checklist

When you say Inventory the computers - are you talking Office Computers or are you selling computers?

Office computers..

I'm not sure if it matters much, but I think that I should mention that they have plans to start MS SQL Server Option. Also, I have to put the computers in Fixed Assets, I can't use inventory because back before they bought Navision they purchased a program called Macola to do inventory, and I have been told to stay away from that button.

Like I said.. Navision-screwed. lol

Oh and by the way, I can't find fin.exe.

But now I have found it and it is the Navision client..
  • Options
    edited 2006-04-13
    Does anyone have the SUPER role? I'm not sure. I know that some users do but I also am not exactly sure how to check.

Under Tools > Security > Database logins > "Any Names?" > Click on one & hit Roles - a Super user just needs 1 role "SUPER"
    I can open the designer and object designer. I can create a new form. When I try to save it, it tells me that I don't have the proper permissions.

It depends on the ID Number range you're using. You just can't pick any number. Navision gives users a range. try numbering your table/Form/Report between 50000 to 50099 & see if that works for you.
    Contact Management
    Fixed Assets
    General Ledger
    Introduction
    Inventory
    Multilanguage
    Purchases & Payables
    Sales and Recieveables
    Setup Checklist

Sounds good - I wish I had all those. The Application Designers Guide Will be the one you really want to help you get started.
    Office computers..

So do you just want to list them in a table with column headers of (ie/Make/Model/os/Mem/HD size/Location/Serial#?etc etc)?
    I'm not sure if it matters much, but I think that I should mention that they have plans to start MS SQL Server Option. Also, I have to put the computers in Fixed Assets, I can't use inventory because back before they bought Navision they purchased a program called Macola to do inventory, and I have been told to stay away from that button.

We came from Macola to Navision - Glad we did too!

SO you're using Navision for Accounting & Macola for Inventory???
    Who's the genius who signed off on that :-k
  • Options
    I see that Savatage beat me to it :-)
    Daedalus wrote:

I'm not sure. I know that some users do but I also am not exactly sure how to check.

Under Tools > Security there are Roles, Database, and Windows logins. I, myself, do not have a database login. When I go to Roles, select SUPER, and click Role > Windows Logins, I am listed.
    Congratulations, you are SUPER! :D
    You need to be SUPER to do some programming.
    Daedalus wrote:
    Contact Management
    Fixed Assets
    General Ledger
    Introduction
    Inventory
    Multilanguage
    Purchases & Payables
    Sales and Recieveables
    Setup Checklist
    Start "Introduction". This explains some basics of Navision. And then start with "Application Designer's Guide".
    Daedalus wrote:
    Oh and by the way, I can't find fin.exe.

But now I have found it and it is the Navision client..
    The fact you are SUPER, makes this less important.

Savatage wrote:
    Sounds good - I wish I had all those.
    I'll ask Luc if he can put those in the download-section.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion

• Options
    Apparantly it was our CFO's idea to keep Macola and use Navision.

He is technologically disinclined plus he lacks common sense and foresight.

If anyone wants all the manuals I just threw them up on my website..

http://www.camicus.net/navision/

I'm also the web developer here >.<

Now, what exactly am I going to need to know to create this card. It needs three tabs. General, Hardware, and Software. It is going under Fixed Assets.
  • Options
    First a few things we need to know:
    -Do you just have to put the hardware in it to have a list of it, where it is, which software is on it, ... or do you need it to do some bookkeeping stuff on them?
    -In case of just having a list, which information do you need to keep in Navision?
    Regards,Alain Krikilion

• Options
    General:

No.
    Class
    SubClass
    Network Address
    Primary User
    Deployment Date
    Last Upgrade Date

Hardware:

Moniter (I know, I know)
    Motherboard
    Processor
    RAM
    Hard Drive(s)
    Optical Drive(s)
    Tape Drive(s)
    Display Adapter
    Network Adapter(s)

and a checkbox for FireWire (IEEE 1394)

Software:

BIOS
    Operating System
    Anti-Virus

checkboxes for office, creative suite, and macromedia studio

As far as I know, that is what we need. All that is off the top of my head but adding fields should be the same process over and over. I have experience with databases and programming, but Navision confuses me.
  • Options
    edited 2006-04-13
    Daedalus wrote:
    Now, what exactly am I going to need to know to create this card. It needs three tabs. General, Hardware, and Software. It is going under Fixed Assets.

We're asking if you just need to list this because then you can create a TABLE to hold the desired info. Once the table had been created you can THEN create your card (FORM) to access the table - See chapter 6 of your Application Designer's Guide "What are forms?"

Ooops..this post should come before the one above
  • Options
    Ok..

Did you grab those manuals?
  • Options
    sggsgg Member Posts: 109
    Haven confirmed that you are a SUPER user, I guess the Next question could be:

Does your license contain rights to the Object Designer?

Like the following:
    Report & Dataport Designer
    Form Designer
    Table Designer

Tools > License Information
    Sunday, Godwin G
  • Options
    We have them all.
  • Options
    edited 2006-04-13
    Great Now look on Page 28 of your App Design Guide - Called Creating A table.

1) you want to enter all those fields you mentioned in the table see page 30 if you have a question about the TYPE.

2) try saving it in the range 50000..50099 But first see if anything has already been saved in this range..pick an open # if there are some.

3)we will help you create the form with 3 tabs. Then you will just place the fields from the table on the proper tab it belongs on.

4)once that is all done you have to decide how you want the user to access this form. [Menu Item]
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    I am actually LOL at your sig D :)

You need to normalize the data that you need and decide on field names, data types and such. Then you add those fields to the Fixed Asset table, and you will need to do that with field numbers 50000 and up. Then after you add the fields to the table, you can open the Fixed Asset Card form and add them to the tab that you need.

If you go with a brand new table you basically need to do the same. You create a new table with a number that is in your range, add all necessary fields and save the table. Then you create a new form using the form wizard, and that should take you step by step through everything you need to do. Then you need to add access to your new form to a menu form.
  • Options
    Once you get your first form & table created you won't feel so "Screwed".

I tried to reference the ADG to help you see what it contains :wink:
  • Options
    I am trying to create this table now.

Making a table in Navision is actually.. making a table, like in a normal database, correct?

If this was on the web I would make three tables, one for each tab.. but I don't really have to do that in this case, do I?

Also it seems like there are some standard fields on every card in every section. If you know the posting tab on the Fixed Assets card, they are FA Class, FA SubClass, and Location.

I need to include those but the wizard only let's me select one table. If I manually build the form I can use fields from more than one table, right? Or do I have to reference something or whatnot. :- /

I'm confused again lol..
  • Options
    Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    Savatage wrote:
    2) try saving it in the range 50000..50099 But first see if anything has already been saved in this range..pick an open # if there are some.
    To know what object numbers you can use for creating your tables/forms, you can follow the steps listed in this How To: How To determine what objects can be read with the current license file?. Navision does not allow you to create a table with eg. No. 28000. With the info from the mentioned How To, you can see what object numbers are configured in your license.

Thank God you found this site ;-)
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • Options
    I am lucky.. I think you were first-page on google when I search for 'Navision Financials Forum'..

I am pretty sure I can use the 50000 range because there are custom tables there already.
  • Options
    I have the table created, apparantly we are only allowed 50001 through 50009
  • Options
    Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    Great you find it out.

When you create a form using the Wizard, you can let Navision create a nice looking card-form with tabs. Navision will ask you which tabs you want (default is one tab called "General") and which fields needs to be placed on which tab page. Therefore, all fields needs to be available in the same table.
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • Options
    Daedalus wrote:
    I If you know the posting tab on the Fixed Assets card, they are FA Class, FA SubClass, and Location.

Great to hear about the table!
    Now in Object Designer click the FORM button
    then NEW
    then select CREATE using the Wizard.

This first one was ment to be a simple learning experience.
    Next if you want to add Lookups to other tables we can get into that.
  • Options
    Daedalus wrote:
    I am lucky.. I think you were first-page on google when I search for 'Navision Financials Forum'..

I guess Luc had to grease some palms - :-$

----Helpful tip----
    Make a backup to your HD or something.

Access the backup and you will feel safer looking and playing around with the copy rather than the live database :mrgreen:
  • Options
    I would like to do that but that falls in the hands of the network administrator. I wouldn't know how to do that. I usually use my laptop as a development platform for everything and I suppose I could install everything on there and start from scratch or something but I would rather eat a shit sandwich.
  • Options
    do you know the size of your database? There must be backups being made?!.

All you need is a copy of the DB and install the Nav client on your laptop.

note in Obect Designer
    New->Create A New "Something" (table/form/report/dataport)
    Design->View/Edit the "Something" you created
    RUN->See the "Something" you created as it really looks
  • Options
    I am sure there are backups, I just don't know where to find them.

My position before the new SysAdmin was complicated.

I was there to work, but was never given anything to do, so I am still learning alot about the network structure and stuff.
  • Options
    Ok.. I have the table created, and I used the form wizard to create the form..

Now, how do I add a button for it in the fixed assets section?

Also, if I can reference the FA Class Code, FA SubClass, and Location code things to their proper table, how do I do that?

It's important that those three come from the same source in every form..
  • Options
    You will have to go to fixed asset section and goto the place (form) you want to add the access point of your new form.

Tools->Designer to access the form and to add the control.

Look at the Application Designers Guide:
    Chapter 7 "Designing Forms"
    Chapter 8 "Extending The Functionality Of Your Forms"

To learn about "Push Action" & "Look Ups". Let us know if you get stuck.

[You can go to a menu - click designer - right click on an item you will see it has properties. You can use this as an example. You can also copy a button (for example) that has a functionality you want for your new button & just change it's Caption(Name) & properties]

"Give a man a fish..He will eat all day"
    "Teach a man to fish..He will drink beer all day"
    -Someone has that signature :-k
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    You crack me up :mrgreen: I need to remember the one about the sandwich...
    Daedalus wrote:
    Also, if I can reference the FA Class Code, FA SubClass, and Location code things to their proper table, how do I do that?
    Those are linked fields. Open the Fixed Asset table in design mode and browse to those fields, and open their property page and see where it says 'Table Relation'. You can simply copy those fields into your new table too, just make sure you use a field number that you are allowed to use. Because of the relationship of the field you will automatically get the lookup arrow on your form. That's right, you don't have to program anything for the lookup!!! Isn't Navision cool!!
  • Options
    Actually, I hate it. I admit the concept is neat and everything but the implentation makes me want to rip my hair out. I hate 'designers'. I hate GUI designers, web designers, form designers, WYSIWYG editors, and every other thing that gives people an alternative to code. Code is always 10000000000000% better than design.

I just don't have time to learn another language right now >.<

Working with the designer in Navision 2.6 reminds me of Visual Basic 3 or _insert_very_old_visual_developing_tool_here.

The thing about the FA Class and Location stuff is that I had that idea, check the property sheets, copy and paste the relation. Except that the ONE custom form that we have is in Fixed Assets and uses the same frickin table. :(

No linkage.

I'll figure it out though.
  • Options
    Well, I did what the manual said.. It's still not working. When I use the look-up button on the form, nothing happens. I linked to the correct forms and everything but it is still a no-go.

So, have some screenshots, maybe you know what I am doing wrong.

http://www.camicus.net/text_box_p.jpg

http://www.camicus.net/table_relation.jpg