I've published a new PowerShell module
online on Github for Dynamics NAV. You can deploy NAV Cumulative Updates
on NAV application servers and client machines with this script. It's like manual patching NAV but in an automated more perfected and robust manner. If you're currently using a manual patching method or any other method that takes a lot of time to update an application server/workstation, make sure to check out this project
Current available features
Main features installing CU
Main features preparing database conversion
- Scans host for installed NAV components (Windows Registry scan).
- Stops known blocking services/processes (NST's, clients, MS Office, Application Pools, etc).
- Verifies if the files to be updated are writable (stops if certain files are still locked)
- Creates a backup of the folders before updating.
- Updates the files in the NAV component folders with the new CU files.
- Updates the default NST CustomSettings.config with the new available keys.
- Updates Windows Registry with the new NAV build number.
Main features database conversion
- Scans the local system for uniquely configured NAV databases from the NAV Service Tier configuration
- Creates example Cmdlets with prefilled variables to convert the found NAV databases.
- Saves the examples to a file and opens it in a new PowerShell ISE tab.
- Loads the 'Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Model.Tools.psd1' module dynamically
- Invokes the NAV database conversion
- Invokes the schema synchronization to complete database conversion
- Restarts NST between steps
Currently the script is designed to work for NAV 2013 to NAV 2017
. Somewhere in the near future
I will add support for NAV 2018
All feedback is welcome. You can log bugs and feature requests on the GitHub page. I would like to use this topic for other questions/suggestions.