Options

Reporting/tracking data Storage Capacity Usage

Hello,

I have had a few Business Central clients report that they have checked their data Storage Capacity Usage in their admin center and discover that they are over capacity, which they had not anticipated.

There are data retention tools and procedures, which we have helped these clients with, but as far as I am aware, there is currently there is no automated notification of either growth or of exceeding capacity in BC or the admin center, nor any tools or reports to provide growth pace and trends, which they may extrapolate from. These would be very useful as they would allow customers to make better decisions regarding data retention policies for data they can remove as redundant and manage their license budget to buy more capacity for data they must retain.

I wanted to see if some did know of such tools or reporting.

I have searched the forum for previous posts on this but have not found anything. Apologies in advance if I have missed anything in my search.

Thank you
Edward Bloomfield

Lead Consultant
Theta

Comments

• Options
    DanielGorskiDanielGorski Member Posts: 14
    Basically in bc exists table "table information". It shows how much storage is used. I've build a notification to keep the user informed. I can share the code if you want
  • Options
    DanielGorskiDanielGorski Member Posts: 14
    edited 2024-01-31
    RecRef.Open(8700);
    RecRef.SetLoadFields(2, 8);
    RecRef.field(2).SetFilter('<>%1&<>%2&<>%3', 2000000184, 2000000183, 2000000185);
    RecRef.field(8).SetFilter('>=%1', 240);
    FldRef := RecRef.field(8);
    if FldRef.CalcSum() then
      VariantValue := Round(FldRef.Value(), 0.01, '>') / 1000;
    RecRef.Close();

Table Information is protected, so you need to use RecRef.
    That calculates the used storage in megabytes.