Slave.exe process using 460MB of RAM

ken_teaffken_teaff Member Posts: 4
edited 2004-05-26 in Navision DOS
My server, with 1GB of RAM and dual processors, is running like a snail. I have Navision 3.6 over SQL.

WHen I check my system resources, I see two Slave.exe processes running. One of these is using 460MB of RAM, the other is using 50MB. My Navision dealer tells me that he's not aware of slave.exe kicking off as part of Navision, but he thinks it might be part of the eConfigurator module.

What can anyone tell me about slave.exe in a SQL environment? Is it needed? How can I kill it? How can I keep it from starting up again?

Comments

• SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    Have you searched the forum for "slave.exe"?
  • ken_teaffken_teaff Member Posts: 4
    I found the answer. Navision will spawn one slave.exe process for every database that is opened, plus one more. In this case, there was only one DB open, so there were two processes.

The RAM cache was set for 600 MB, which is not used by server.exe (well, a little bit of it is, but not a significant amount) but is reserved for use by the slave process. When users log on, the slave process begins using up some of the reserved RAM, and can use up to the reserved limit.

But Windows Task Manager cannot detect that slave is using the memory reserved by the RAM cache. It appears to TM that both server.exe and slave.exe are using different pieces of memory.
  • GoMaDGoMaD Member Posts: 313
    I've got a question:

When the Database Service is running how much "Physical Memory (K)" does Task Manageris report to be "Available"?

Regards,
    Now, let's see what we can see.
    Everybody on-line.
    Looking good!
  • ken_teaffken_teaff Member Posts: 4
    There is a gig of RAM in the system. With server.exe using (reserving) 600 MB, and with all the other processes going on, TM shows about 110 MB of available memory. That was with slave.exe showing about 420 MB of usage. OBviously, 600 plus 420 plus all the other processes doesn't add up to only 940MB, which should have been my first clue.
  • GoMaDGoMaD Member Posts: 313
    110 MB is a little low, i always try to have 200MB free for the server.

There are also some other things you want to check:
      The virtual memory settings of your server. Which RAID is your server using (hardware of software RAID, 0+1,1 or RAID 5)

Usefull link in regard of performance:
    http://www.mibuso.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2102

Regards,[/url]
    Now, let's see what we can see.
    Everybody on-line.
    Looking good!