Options

Log File in SQL Server

ssinglassingla Member Posts: 2,973
edited 2007-06-02 in SQL General
Dear Friends,

One of the client is running Navision on SQL server. Change log is activated and the size of the log has become very large. Client require that the log file should increase upto a particular size and after that it deletes the old entries while creating new entries so that the file size remains the same.

Is it possible ?????
CA Sandeep Singla
http://ssdynamics.co.in

Comments

• Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    You need to understand how the transaction log works and for what it is used. Without that basic knowledge it is hard to answer you (or it is easy but not correct...). If someone is using transaction log, it means that he want to have possibility to restore database in case of corruption to the time of the corruption. In this case, you need to have good backup schedule to prevent TR. log to grow. If you are not backing up the tr. log, it will grow and grow and grow... 8)

result of all about tr. log is: you need to have good backup schedule when using full recovery mode (e.g. 1/week full backup, 1/day differencial backup, 1/ hour tr. log backup). Else simple recovery mode is enough for you and you can create the backup e.g. daily...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    mukesvemukesve Member Posts: 28
    Hi Sandeep

I belive you are not talking about the SQL Server Transaction Log File(ldf). Instead this is realted to Change Log functionality in Navision database.

First solution would be to convince the client to delete the Change Log Entries manually by running the batch Job Delete Change Log Entries in GL > Periodic Activities. The Client can put the filter for date and time and delete the records for last 6 month or 1 month.

Second solution would be to write the customisation to automatically run the report on a periodic basis. The Frequency should be specified on GL Setup so the report run automatically on Weekly/Monthly/Yearly as per the client preferences.

I hope it should help you.

Best Regards
    Mukesh :D
  • Options
    mukesve wrote:
    Hi Sandeep

I belive you are not talking about the SQL Server Transaction Log File(ldf). Instead this is realted to Change Log functionality in Navision database.
    because this sentence
    Client require that the log file
    I assume that it is about the transaction log on MS SQL... 8)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    Dear Friends,

Thanks for your prompt reply. Yes this is LDF file. i have no idea what it is doing and what is the significance of it. My techie is out on leave and I am stranded here.
    CA Sandeep Singla
  • Options
    For more info I recommend to find the topic "Transaction Log" in books on-line for MS SQL or on msdn pages (e.g. http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms345419.aspx). I know, it is technical, but if your techie is not accessible...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    You can back up and shrink your transaction log file more frequently.

Also, if you put your recovery model to simple. Then, it won't keep track of the transactions --> I don't recommend this! [-X

Indeed ... understand what the Transaction Log file is for ... .

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Run a complete database backup, that should truncate the TL. If that doesn't do it, run a transaction log backup. Read books online for settings.

By the way, Books Online is the online help that gets installed with SQL Server, so you will want to use the SQL Server computer to browse it, or install SQL Server on your machine. You can also go to msdn online through the Microsoft website for access to books online. Search the MSFT website for SQL Server.
  • Options
    Thanks Experts, I will try to do whatever I can. Will come back to u in case of some problem. Meanwhile I hope my techie returns back soon [-o< [-o<
    CA Sandeep Singla
  • Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,090
    [Topic moved from Navision forum to SQL General forum]
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!