Options

Managing Software Changes in Navision

KyleaKylea Member Posts: 39
edited 2007-05-24 in General Chat
Hi,

We have currently a Development, Test and Live environment. We have written a change logging system in Navision which allocates a number to a project/change and allows us to progess the change (manually) from Dev to Test and finally to Live (this is a brief synopsis) but it is actually quite good and allows us to keep track of our changes and what objects are effected.

However we have still come under the scrutiny of auditors who want change control further managed, because as it is they see it is possible for us simply to be able to drop a new object into live without progressing it through the process mentioned briefly above or simply just make a change in live. I guess what I am saying is that the entire process is only as good as the discipline of the developer to ensure that the correct procedure is followed which isn't a problem because we all follow the procedure.

We looked at Visual Source Safe but this also is a relatively manual process and with what we have written for Navision change control so far would simply be a double up. It does not stop someone who is undisciplined from doing the wrong thing either.

Has anyone had any experiences with Change Management software for Navision - that they would recommend.

What does Microsoft use?????

Appreciate any comments or recommendations.

Kylea White
Senior Developer
Great Southern Limited

Comments

• Options
    Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Why don't you ask your auditors how they recommend you to manage it? :mrgreen:

It's always interesting to see people that talk a good implementation trying to back up their words.
  • Options
    Hi Alex,

Yes good one..... :lol::lol::lol:

We actually did ask them how they would recommend we improve it.....they were not able to suggest anything :o ........No suprise there really.

Anyway we thought we should ask the real people out there how they manage it - there must be other Navision developers that are constantly harrassed by auditors over change management.

Kylea
    Senior Developer
    Great Southern Limited
  • Options
    Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Haven't encountered any auditors auditing changes made to the program, yet.. Seems unusual for auditors to try to control what's being developed when they don't understand the program.

If your auditors can't recommend a good solution, then there's is no problems with your current process. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    I would say you are managing it better than about 90% of existing implementations :mrgreen: If someone says your methods are not up to standard, the least they should be able to do is show you the standard.

Using VSS would not prevent anyone from going into the live system and making changes. There is no way to hook up a NAV database to VSS. It would mean you'd have to export your objects as separate files per object (which is not too much work if you use a fob file splitter) and manage it from there. You would have the same discipline issues that you have now, only with much more work involved.
  • Options
    themavethemave Member Posts: 1,058
    As an end user our auditors asked me the same thing. what stops someone from changing the program. My answer is different then yours, since you are a developer.

My answer was to give them a description of the different granuals. Which says that only the application designer granual license allows changes to posted tables, and only to certain posted tables, and only the Developer granual allows changes to the critical posted tables.

Then gave them a written procedure that states only changes allowed to the database can be completed by athorized indivuals after review and approval on senior management.

Basically a written procedure is what they required, it didn't have to be full proof, because nothing is, they just want to see that you thought about it and made a procedure to insure compliance.

This was with one of the big 6 auditors here in the US and it seemed to work. they actually were surpised I had something written out. Since most smaller companies don't.
  • Options
    Thankyou all for your input.

I agree....that we are managing the system in a very neat and efficient way and it works very well for us. =D>

My thoughts exactly regarding VSS (it was more work to manage - I have used this before at other sites and yes it still does not stop development in the live environment.

We have provided the auditors with a documented procedure (they are still nervous about the fact that if we wanted to we could just go straight to live and edit something). At some point you have to trust someone right... :?:

It appears there is nothing on the market for the management of change control for Navision that will handle things any better than the disciplined way we are doing it now.

Will pass your comments on to my manager who is liaising with the auditors - thanks again.

Kylea