Options

Navision sync error with Cluster SQL 2005

trintrin Member Posts: 110
edited 2007-04-02 in SQL General
Hi,

This is Navision SP2 with SQL 2005. After migrated Navision SP2 to SQL 2005 we started to have problems with the SQL name. SQL2 is the name of the Windows 2005 Server Cluster, and SQL2VS is the name of the clustered SQL 2005 Server instance that runs on that server. Navision always looks at the SQL2 which is the cluster’s name instead of SQL2VS which was the instance. We got it resolved by adding parameters when Navision starts. Now we tried to sync Navision and could not finish since Navision looks at SQL2 instead of SQL2VS. Is there a way to specify the name of the server to sync? If I got to Database information I saw sever SQL2 instead of SQL2VS.

Thanks

Answers

• Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,096
    [Topic moved from Navision forum to SQL General forum]
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    If I understand it correctly, when you enter the SQL2VS as a server name, after connection is made, you are connected to SQL2? May be that it is correct and the SQL2VS is just forwarded (translated) to SQL2? I am not expert in this are (yet).
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    Kine,

That is correct. When I opened the Database I used SQL2VS but after I was in Navision and Database informaiton showed Server name SQL2. I do not know where the switch happened. The phsical database is at SQL2VS instance.

Thanks
  • Options
    And which one you see in the list of servers when you open the SQL server lookup when connecting within Navision?
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    SQL2VS is the one on the list. However, each time Navision automatically switch to SQL2 after it closed. I had to manually enter SQL2VS as the start up parameter to force Navision look at SQL2VS.

Thanks!
  • Options
    For me it is like NAV is using reverse DNS entry or another method to read the server name. It will be better to ask Microsoft about that, because if the parameter is not overwritten but manually entered server name in open dialog is, it is something within NAV...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    Kine,

Thank you so much for the help. I did not explain clearly.

I used the parameters server name=SQL2VS to start up Navision which was able to open Navision correctly. Or I can manually type in SQL2VS to open navision. However, after I opened Navision, the Database information still showed Server Name=SQL2S. I guess that was the reason when I tried to sync, since there was no place to sepcify the server for syncing, Navision looked at SQL2S and could not finish the sync.

Thanks
  • Options
    Ah, ok, now it is much more clear. But still I recommend to contact Microsoft about that.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    Hi Kine,

This problem was resolved by using IP address instead of server name.

Thanks for all the help!