Options

Navision 2.6a & SQL Reporting

Craig_NeedhamCraig_Needham Member Posts: 23
edited 2000-07-26 in Navision Financials
Greetings All

I am Rather new to SQL Server and how it works. So sorry if this is a stupid question.

I am trying to generate reports using Crystal Reports 8 directly from the SQL Database. This is fine, but I have a problem with joining tables seeing as (according to Crystal) the key fields available are different on the actual SQL table than the KEY Definition withing Navision.

I suppose the Navision Indexes are maintained in some other way.

May question is this. Would there be any risk to adding additional indexes to the SQL tables? Would this change the way Navision interprets the information in any way?

Any feedback would be very appreciated.

Kind Regards

Craig Needham

Comments

• Options
    brucembrucem Member Posts: 86
    Persoanlly i wouldn't have thought it was a problem unless navision has some index checking built into it. However....depending on how up to date your data reporting needs to be you could create a separate database and select the data you want to report on to be populated into this new database on a scheduled basis. you could then create views / indexes as you wish fot your reporting users to use ( depending on experience) and keep them out of your live system and reduce overhead on it ?

HTH

Bruce
  • Options
    Craig_NeedhamCraig_Needham Member Posts: 23
    Hi Bruce

Thanx for the reply. I have also thought of generating a seprate data area from which the reportingcan be done. Real time reports are not essential, but preferable.

We have set up a test server, and are currently testing it. I also have requested a reply to this issue from the local Navision office.

I will post any result of our findings.

* * * Watch this space * * * :-)

regards

Craig