Why Navision init line with number 10000¿?

cpinacpina Member Posts: 52
A lot of table init number line with 10000 and add from 10000 each time
10000 20000 30000

Why?

Init line 1,2,3,4...
Metaphisic question...

Comments

• Saint-SageSaint-Sage Member Posts: 92
    It's Navision standard...as to why it's the standard...uh..no idea! :lol:

No one loves you like the one who created you...
  • nunomaianunomaia Member Posts: 1,153
    For example in sales order form:

Line 1: 10 000
    Line 2: 20 000

If you want to insert a line in middle it has to be 15 000

If Navision didn’t inserted that way, it hasn't possible to insert a new line between existing lines.
    Nuno Maia

Freelance Dynamics AX
    Blog : http://axnmaia.wordpress.com/
  • cunnycunny Member Posts: 129
    Yes it is, It's a basic rule of Navision just like why we should use the Menusuite to control the display of Navision. You can not change it currently:). It's controlled by the prperty "AutoSplitKey" of the form. You can check the properties of subforms just like from 46 "Sales order subfrom" and form 47 "Sales Invoice subform".
    cunny Lee
    MCP - MBS Navision
    jle@naviworld.com
  • cpinacpina Member Posts: 52
    Thanks for reply.
    It is a Metaphisic question...
    Why 10000+10000 and not 1+1 :roll:
  • Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    If the purpose of your solution does not need inserting lines in between later then you can make a manual lineindent function.

Otherwise just use the out-of the box functionality.
  • Cem_KaraerCem_Karaer Member Posts: 281
    The reason why line numbers increases by 10000 is that you may want to add a new line between, say 10000 and 20000 by getting the number 15000. Because lines are sorted by line numbers, that insertion will not impose any problem because 10000 < 15000 < 20000 not changing the sorting order of insertion.
    Cem Karaer @ Pargesoft
    Dynamics NAV Developer since 2005
  • cunnycunny Member Posts: 129
    Hi guys,

I think I was wrong. In fact, you can change the rule by selecting "AutoSplitKey" = No on the list form property. This property defined you want to increase line by 10000 in the list form or not. And it's only avaliable for list form and card form. Anyway, you can increase the line no. by whatever you want if you want assign the line no. by code directly in the table and the list form will show the real line no. like 11000,12000.....

Good Luck,

cunny
    cunny Lee
    MCP - MBS Navision
    jle@naviworld.com
  • WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    May be in other words ...

The reason why it's initiated by 10000, and added by 10000, is to make AutoSplitkey to work.

If AutoSplitKey = yes, and you're inserting a line between 1 and 2 ... you'll get an error. So, making it so that it's 10000 by default, you're creating some extra levels to insert lines.

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    cpina wrote:
    Thanks for reply.
    It is a Metaphisic question...
    Why 10000+10000 and not 1+1 :roll:
    Nothing meta abot this, it's a purely practical reason :mrgreen:
  • Miklos_HollenderMiklos_Hollender Member Posts: 1,598
    And actually this enables a trick. What if you need to write code to generate and post item journals? You can't just call the posting routine on the record variable as you need to attach some dimensions to it, usually. Well maybe with a lot of magic you could but it's just easier to insert it and post it aftewards. Solution - use a magic line number that can never automatically be created by autosplitkey. F.e. 108.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    cpina wrote:
    A lot of table init number line with 10000 and add from 10000 each time
    10000 20000 30000

Why?

Init line 1,2,3,4...
    Metaphisic question...

The reason for 10,000 was simply so that you can insert at least 10 new lines between any line. In fact using 10,000 allows a maximum of 13 lines to be inserted...:

David Singleton
  • powerstupowerstu Member Posts: 3
    Hi I know this is an old posting. However, I am curious as to whether it is possible to change the standard Numbering from 10000 to say 1000. The reason I ask is that when exporting SO's to an external WMS - the external WMS cannot handle lines >1000000 which limits the number of lines to 100.
  • thomasbarbutthomasbarbut Member Posts: 25
    Hello,

I haven't checked how to change the "Line No.", but you could renumber it when exporting. This would be a better solution because it does not change the core functionality.

best regards,
    Thomas Barbut
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    powerstu wrote: »
    Hi I know this is an old posting. However, I am curious as to whether it is possible to change the standard Numbering from 10000 to say 1000. The reason I ask is that when exporting SO's to an external WMS - the external WMS cannot handle lines >1000000 which limits the number of lines to 100.

I would recommend that you create a new field "Line No. Export" then when you export the order, increment this field by 1 for each line, that way you will have a link in your existing system to connect back to later.
    David Singleton