Options

Which parts of Navision used to be an add-on's

zeninolegzeninoleg Member Posts: 236
edited 2007-03-12 in General Chat
I was thinking about the Dimensions and it looks to me that it might have been an addon before. Anyone knows?
Somebody said befre taht Job Scheduler used to be an add-on.

Some parts of Navision look like something foreign....
Best Regards,
Oleg

Comments

• Options
    Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    Yes, some parts used to be add-ons.

AFAK CRM used to be one and service.

Before dimensions were introduces, the Belgian database had a dimension module that supported 9 dimensions.
  • Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    warehouse management was built by Lanham.

Manufacturing was also an addon but am not positive.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    There are two rumors about Dimensions, but not sure which is true,
    a/ Is that someone wrote them to compete with how Concorde and Axapta handle dimensions,
    b/ It evolved from an Add-On but evolved a little too much. Clearly the concept is so alien to Navision, that its unlikely to have derived from the BAD team.

As to other parts:

1/ I think Jobs was an Add-On, but never could get to the bottom of it.
    2/ Contact management (Formerly the add on known as Marketing Manager)
    3/ Fixed Assets (originally an AS400 application).
    4/ Manufacturing (created by merging two completing add-ons, a Danish one and a German one. More of the Danish Add-On made it into Navision though).
    5/ Warehouse. (Formerly Lanhams Advanced Distribution).
    6/ Payroll, depends on the country.
    7/ Service. (But not sure where the original Add-On came from).
    8/ Job scheduler was a granule of the Service Add-On. Which is why it is a part of that menu and granule.
    9/ Navigate - an important one. Many people think it was part of the original Navision, but it was actually designed by a Swiss End User, and developed by their NSC. The NTR demoed it to NTRs in other countries, and everyone wanted it in the Base App ASAP.

Then there is a ton of other little stuff. Like Stock Manger, which was an Inventory costing system that broke the Item ledger into two separate tables, one for the physical movement, and the second to track the Cost. Conceptually the same though implemented differently to Value Entries.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Guys its Friday night, shouldn't we be doing something else. :mrgreen:
    David Singleton
  • Options
    I am mentaly preparing myself to have lunch with Denster tomorrow and to go to Plopsaland next sunday with Waldo. :mrgreen:

www.plopsaland.be
  • Options
    Is Denster that demanding, mentally?
    I met him last year, and didn't think that was the case. :mrgreen:
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

• Options
    I will let you know after this weekend. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    pdjpdj Member Posts: 643
    edited 2007-02-03
    2/ Contact management (Formerly the add on known as Marketing Manager)
    I guess you are right, but this module was completely replaced by Relationship Mgt. in version 3.0. This was made from scratch for version 3.0.

edit:
    ...unlikely to have derived from the BAD team.
    Who/what is that? Badass Application Developers? 8)
    Regards
    Peter
  • Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    ara3n wrote:
    Is Denster that demanding, mentally?
    I met him last year, and didn't think that was the case. :mrgreen:
    Funny har har :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Miklos_HollenderMiklos_Hollender Member Posts: 1,598
    Wow, if so many things came from add-ons then the first versions of Navision really must have been just a development environment + a G/L :) It's weird to imagine Navision without Dimensions - what use it was then if it couldn't even tell sales by departments? Or Department and Project were hardcoded?
  • Options
    7/ Service

Rumour is that Navision A/S built it themselves for a small service-oriented company - four service engineers and twelve service contracts or something like that.
  • Options
    pdjpdj Member Posts: 643
    Or Department and Project were hardcoded?
    Exactly - just two simple tables.
    Regards
    Peter
  • Options
    7/ Service

Rumour is that Navision A/S built it themselves for a small service-oriented company - four service engineers and twelve service contracts or something like that.
    I believe Navision started service and changed their minds, then a couple of guys took the idea, left Navision and developed the service module themselves, then a while later Navision incorporated the functionality.
  • Options
    Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    I know for a fact that the Unapply Cash Receipt function was an addon.

Does the companies that created the addon gets reimbursed if MSFT decide it was going to be part of the standard release?
  • Options
    Does the companies that created the addon gets reimbursed if MSFT decide it was going to be part of the standard release?
    I have the same questions myself. i think that they should be because they spent their time and effor to do it and now they cannot even sell it! However they might be getting percentage of the cost of the granule. .... from another side what id it is something like Navigate?
    :sick: I got myself confused!
    Best Regards,
    Oleg
  • Options
    If I was Microsoft, I wouldn't reimburse a single cent.

The logic would be that the solution center had made their money already before the standard release.

Of course, the solution center can still opt to sell it.
  • Options
    If I was Microsoft, I wouldn't reimburse a single cent.
    And waht if you were an owner of solutions center which developed this software. :wink: You have spent XXXXXX dollars in salaries of the developers and analysts and now somebody else sells your solution.
    Moreover, software is intellectual property and cannot be replicated.
    Best Regards,
    Oleg
  • Options
    Sorry to disappoint you, but whatever you developed in Navision belongs to Microsoft, as stated on the Partner agreement.
  • Options
    As weird and unfair as that sounds, it is indeed true. MSFT owns everything we do :mrgreen:
  • Options
    From now on, if anybody finds bugs in my code, (not that there are any) :mrgreen:

I'll just say, this is not my code.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

• Options
    ara3n wrote:
    From now on, if anybody finds bugs in my code, (not that there are any) :mrgreen:

I'll just say, this is not my code.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Oh my god... I never new ara3n was a comedian! This has got to be the quote of the month.
  • Options
    ssinglassingla Member Posts: 2,973
    Alex Wrote
    Sorry to disappoint you, but whatever you developed in Navision belongs to Microsoft, as stated on the Partner agreement.

Is it True :shock: :shock: [/b]
    CA Sandeep Singla
    http://ssdynamics.co.in
  • Options
    In theory they own everything, I practice I don't think they would risk bad PR from grabbing something without negotiating some price for it. After all it doesn't even need to be cash - for a fat discount on licence sales in the next 2 years I'd happy to give over everything I've ever done because licence price is still the worst problem from a sales viewpoint I think even though the new licencing policy helps.
  • Options
    p.willemse6p.willemse6 Member Posts: 216
    How about the employee portal, used to be a german solution...