Dynamics-NAV 5.0 vs. 5.1

2»

Comments

• DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Not 'people', just me, I am more of a dork than a geek. I haven't read the book, and didn't remember the 42 part from the movie. I would have read the book if I had liked the movie, as I generally like books better than movies (except for the Godfather, which is a WAY better movie than book), but I digress :mrgreen:. Thanks for this explanation, I might read the book after all, now that I am intrigued.

I always send people this link when they send me a question that's not really a question, and chuckle that there is actually a knowledge base article about it. Most people don't think this funny at all 8-[
  • Scott_FrappierScott_Frappier Member Posts: 90
    Miklos Hollender:

I have not heard of any improvements to the functionality of the COMMIT/ROLLBACK engine that currently exists in Dynamics-NAV. In other ERP environments, you can program specific functionality so that if a failure occurs, a catch (as you stated) statement will undo the previous transactions in the database. An example of this type of technology is nested savepoints (DB2,MSSQL), and could prove to be very useful.

For our customers, we have implemented functionality that uses the Navision Timer 1.0 Automation control. Basically, it is a DLL that installs with the client that has two events. The first event is OnTimer and the second event is OnError. You can set the DLL so that it fires once and then disable the firing of the timer through ntimer.enabled(FALSE). When an error occurs, the error string is passed to the OnError(Text:1024) event.

We use this in scenarios where we have multiple COMMITS (i.e. posting processes in our nTier Architecture Services) and if there is an error (because of deadlocks, et cetera) it will automatically rollback the previously committed transactions. Make sure that your code is tight though, as if there is an error on the OnError trigger, the nTimer will not recover (if you are doing multiple loops/polling’s).

This topic has definitely become very interesting :). I wanted to point on that we just won a deal from a customer that had a system that dynamically allocated fields to the user’s forms. They hated it, and loved the WYSIWYG environment. It would be nice if there could be a common ground between both technologies (I think they both have their pros/cons) so that the customer could choose what is needed. At the end of the day, we may have a lot of cool "things" that we can do with an application, but the customer is the person that we are trying to satisfy. There are limitations to this (as there always are), but if you have an open relationship with your customer, you can usually address any and all needs.

Also - The new client is not a UNICODE based client. We are still stuck with the limitation of not supporting double-byte characters out-of-the-box. There are a couple of add-ons (from what I've heard) that address this problem.

BlackTiger:

I saw your post regarding DenSter's statements regarding the reporting services. I do believe that his point was missed.

With the new client, we will not be technically developing on the SQL Server Reporting Services. Instead, we are using the Report Viewer which is a client-side version of the Reporting Services. Some of the functionality will be the same as SQL Server Reporting Services, but some of it will not be as well. The main point is why are we fooling around with a mid-field solution, when we could be using the capabilities of the SQL Server Reporting Services and what it was designed to do, which is to present reports to users. By having this interim step, we will be limited to the size of RDL's (5 megs was the statement given to me) and will not be using any of the real capabilities of the Reporting Services (albeit the basic functionality). I would prefer to go get a book on SQL Server Reporting Services and integrate the functionality with the existing Dynamics-NAV client as you probably already have, instead of learning a new way to do reports that will not be the end-goal of most of the Microsoft Dynamics applications.

The C/AL report designer definitely has some strong points, but at the same time, it has its limitations. Given the choice, I would prefer to see both technologies supported in the future. Sometimes we need the quick capabilities of the integrated C/AL report writer, and sometimes we need the capability of creating reports that query large amounts of data and can be web driven. Most businesses in the U.S. just want a paper copy printed out for their exec's to examine. It does not matter if it has all the cool features, it just needs to be in a specific format and potentially exportable to Excel so that business analysts can slice and dice the data.

I am very interested in the RS stuff that you have created and will be examining it in detail, as we have been suggesting to our customers that Reporting Services is the future for analytical information within any SQL environment.
    Scott Frappier
    Vice President, Deployment Operations

Symbiant Technologies, Inc.
    http://www.symbiantsolutions.com
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Got it!! \:D/ it took me an hour to find this thread

No results at all when you search for 'hitchhiker', the wrong posts when you search for 'galaxy', no results for 'hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy'. So finally I google 'the number 42' and that takes me back to 'the answer to the ultimate question' (I remember doing the reverse search not too long ago :)). This thread is the second one when searching on 'ultimate question'.

Still haven't figured out who you are, but thank you very much for the book, I really appreciate it :mrgreen:
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    I thought you might like something to read on the flight to Convergence.

\:D/
    David Singleton
  • p.willemse6p.willemse6 Member Posts: 216
    Informal information from Microsoft tells us the Dutch department doubts if they are going to make Q4. The deadline seems to be firm, but realism is taking over... :x
  • p.willemse6p.willemse6 Member Posts: 216
    :D
  • WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    Informal information from Microsoft tells us the Dutch department doubts if they are going to make Q4. The deadline seems to be firm, but realism is taking over... :x

Belgian departement already (unofficialy) declared it's going to be end of Q1 next year ... but Belgium is in Gr2, so it's normal that it's later then Dutch version.

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    For me some things are more and more clearer. After the MVP Summit I have now better overview about possibilitites of SharePoint and integration of Reporting Services into Sharepoint with possibility to manage RDL through SharePoint and editing RDL through Excel and Word (visual design of report), it seems that for users will be much easier to create own reports over NAV data. Try it. You can download the SharePoint Add-in from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    I haven't had a chance to play with my 5.1 ver - but wow MS flew threw the 4s at least for 3 you have
    3.10a&b
    3.60a&b
    3.70a&b

at this rate we will be at MS Dyn-Nav 8.0 by 2010.
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Which follows their goal of having one "green" product ASAP. :mrgreen: