Options

Running Reports from OS command line

McLeanMcLean Member Posts: 32
edited 2000-05-26 in Navision Financials
We are using Cognos Portfolio to group various reports (from PowerPlay, Excel, HTML etc) together and provide the users with a single point of entry to information. We can run Navision reports and save the output as HTML but it would be very useful if the users could run the report entering the filter data. My idea is to run (somehow) Navision from the command line, possibly I would need to write a C program for this.
Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    mayermayer Member Posts: 50
    i would use the timer function and a report which test´s every time a existing file and starts an other report if it is true.

R. Mayer
  • Options
    John_TegelaarJohn_Tegelaar Member Posts: 159
    There a (too many?) things you cannot do with commandline switches or options. You can specify a database to run, but you cannot select a company on forehand, to name a limitation.

My guess in this would be to create an external file and read this out using a codeunit in Navision. In the file you put the data required to select the report and feed this with the required data to have it run properly. Depending on which report(s) you are talking about, this might be quite complicated. Perhaps using an alternative reportgenerator, or ODBC connection (or SQL connections when NF 2.5 is used) is a more elegant way to go.

John
  • Options
    Jim_HollcraftJim_Hollcraft Member Posts: 7
    John is right about command line limitations. Having more command line options is on my wish list. However, Navision will select the last company opened so in theory, you could "select" the company by choosing different zup files.

Jim Hollcraft
    aka Skater
    drilldot.com
    Unauthorized Navision News
    Jim Hollcraft
    aka Skater
    drilldot.com
    Unauthorized Navision News