Time to go back to school

SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
edited 2006-07-21 in General Chat
More proof that I'm too old and born too long ago.

There was no fun in Statistics class or Literature & psycho-analysis.

A Major of "Computer Gaming" wasn't even a thought back then

"The major, which will culminate with a bachelor's degree in computer science."

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/archiv ... 2local.htm

Comments

• Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Harry, if you used your search skills for medical purposes, you would've found a cure for cancer by now. :mrgreen:
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    Everyone but me is in Vegas for a trade show. So I have a few minutes to play around, :wink:

There's lots of interesting crap out there.
    deadlizard wrote:
    Harry, if you used your search skills for medical purposes, you would've found a cure for cancer by now. :mrgreen:

I think I would start with Autism first.
    http://www.cureautismnow.org
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    I'm with you Harry, that one is highest on my list, together with Neurofibromatosis.
    While reviewing the www.microsoft.com/mvp link I was thinking
    (& no it didn't hurt that much) :wink:

I notice that the schools here, even tho they offer a language class in Jr High - It's not really pushed and as soon as you know "Where is the bathroom" they are like "You pass".

I see most European's know multiple languages, maybe not all fluently but enuf to get by. While here with the influx of spanish into our society it's more of a feeling of Speak English or Die.

The funny part is my parents speak spanish but they never taught my sister and I, it seem basically because they could discuss things without us knowing what was going on. But it would have been real easy to have taught us when we were little and it would have paid dividends today.
  • Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    Well. I am not much of a student myself. I quit school when I was eighteen (11 years ago) and got caught in the millenium and euro conversion IT problems and have been in IT ever since. O:)
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,094
    Savatage wrote:
    I see most European's know multiple languages, maybe not all fluently but enuf to get by. While here with the influx of spanish into our society it's more of a feeling of Speak English or Die.
    Depends on the country and sometimes also in the country there are differences.
    UK,Italy,France:most people speak only there own language.
    Belgium: In the Walloon region, most people speak only French. In Flandren, most people speak (apart Flemish(=Dutch)) also English or French or also both. And some also German of other languages (mostly Spanish).
    Savatage wrote:
    The funny part is my parents speak spanish but they never taught my sister and I, it seem basically because they could discuss things without us knowing what was going on. But it would have been real easy to have taught us when we were little and it would have paid dividends today.
    A real shame they didn't do it. Living in Italy, from when (and also before) my daughter is born, I speak Flemish(=Dutch) with her. All the others speak italian with her. And now at 19 months, she understands perfectly both languages. But I know she will probably never be perfectly speak Flemish, because she only hears it from me. But at least she has a basis for other langauges like English and German because of the Flemish.
    And once she can go to school, we will send her to learn English.
    Knowing multiple languages is very important!
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    In Czech rep. it is common that people with higher education level (High school, university) knows two foreign languages. Mainly German and English. Because on high school you need to pass final exam from one foreign language.

And yes, it is terrible what they teach on the school now :-) I remember that when I firstly come to high school, there were laboratory with old TNS computer (it was first PC-like computer made in Slusovice in Czech republic) http://www.homecomputer.de/images/infos/east-europe/TNS_HC_08.jpg
    After few months we had PC with Intel 386 and that was something special for me! There were no books about programming, no books about computers, no internet... I'll never forgot my first multiplayer DOOM battle on my friend's PCs connected through null-modem.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.