Need advice for MBS Career Path

sxinsxin Member Posts: 6
edited 2006-07-14 in General Chat
Hi All,

I need some advice from all you here.

Current situation:
Im a .NET developer with MCSD and MCDBA certifications.
I play with Crystal Report also.
But now I found it's kind of tiring to keep doing programming
and financially, the pay is not as good as ERP consultant.

Now Im thingking to change line to become MBS consultant or developer.
But I dont know which one I should choose? What is the carreer path and the future of the product and the vacancy opportunity and the important part is how much is the salary?
I found there are more Navision vacancy out there...

The Options are:
Navision, AXAPTA, CRM

And how can I start? Is there a book that I can get?

How did you guys started in the MBS line?

Thank you guys, I really need this info.
I've been searching all this while in the net, but all gave me general answers.

Sxin :)

Comments

• DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    It depends on if you consider yourself a 'user' kind of person, or a 'techie' kind of person. Do you enjoy making an app work the way the app works, or do you enjoy modifying the app to suit your needs? Do you enjoy analyzing business processes or do you like to normalize data to determine a technical table design? The answers to questions like those will determine whether you should go into the development direction or the consulting direction. Once you make that decision, you find yourself a job at a solution center (find a bigger one that sells all products, that has the resources to send you to training) and work there for a while. Give yourself a good solid period to try it out, like 2-3 years. I've found that it took me about 3 years to get comfortable enough to find my way through just about anything related to Navision.

I didn't even mention career pat or money, because to me that is secondary. First of all I need to like what I am doing, the pay and opportunities come second. Don't worry though, there is plenty of opportunity in the Dynamics field, in all products. Especially if you are flexible to travel you will have no problem at all finding well paying engagements.

That's my take on it :) good luck in making a decision, if you like business processes, you will like working with Dynamics.
  • sxinsxin Member Posts: 6
    Hi Den,

Thanks for the reply. After so many years doing programming, now I see more things from the user's side. No point keep developin new application which end of the day the user cant really use it.
    I would like to choose to Setup existing application,
    rather than everytime I have to build it from scratch.
    Most of the time, I need to reinvent the wheel in programming.
    That's why I want to start to gather all information about Dyanimics products and learn it.
    One of the problem to be able to work in company where they are using ERP or provide ERP solution, they need someone that have some background in ERP as well.
    So I though, maybe if I take some courses, than I can have some value to offer to the company.

I noticed that this website is selling Navision DVD. Is this just articles or it's Navision application (Trial Version)?

Can you give more advice how to start to learn Navision?
    Any book or eBook or eLearning web site you can suggest me.
    Does Micorosft have Navision Trial Version where you can use as testing at home?

Thank you and thank you again ..

Sxin
  • fatewongfatewong Member Posts: 8
    Hi Sxin,

I also felt that building an application from scratch is somewhat tiring but I certainly gain rich knowledge during the development. To me, I just switch from .NET web app developer to Navision developer. If you possess strong programming background and knowledge, it won't be so hard to pick it up.

If you choose to be developer in Navision. I am sorry to tell you that even if you have the Navision program, you can't develop/customise it because Navision need so called "Developer License" in order develop/customise. If you choose to be application consultant for Navision, then you can just purchase one and thus experience it yourself.

In terms of material, you can find ebook from the DVD you purchase.
    Thanks Wong,

About the DVD you mentioned, do you meant the DVD from this Website? Does it come with eBook as well?
    Where can I get "Trial Developer License"?

If you dont mind, can you tell me more about your carreer track now?
    I mean, after you quit from your Software Developer job, what did you do after that?
    Just learn it from by yourself or you took a course for that.
    Is there any company willing to hire someone without navison background.

Thank you :)

Sxin
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    If you are a skilled developer with analytical skills, you should be able to find a job with a solution center, and they will send you to all the training that you need. When I started I had no C/AL experience, but I was a VBA developer. I worked on small jobs for 3 months, took the developer training and got thrown into a big project. From there on you're on your own and the good will of your coworkers to help you :).

That is how it went for me though, there are many other stories. If you are really interested in the ERP world then I would say take the jump and work in it for a few years. Your .NET experience will come in VERY well. In fact it would be a very good career move for .NET people to get involved with NAV to get a good feel for the application.
  • Miklos_HollenderMiklos_Hollender Member Posts: 1,598
    "financially, the pay is not as good as ERP consultant"

It's interesting. I just looked around the UK job market recently and was surprised to find that while there are job ads for stuff every grad student could do, like, Java development, over 50K/year, Navision consultancy is around 25-45K. (Which are not good news for me.)
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,094

It's interesting. I just looked around the UK job market recently and was surprised to find that while there are job ads for stuff every grad student could do, like, Java development, over 50K/year, Navision consultancy is around 25-45K. (Which are not good news for me.)
    Are these before or after taxes?
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

Before, and in pounds. Tax is something like 22% below 32K or so and 40% over it.
  • Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    If you are a skilled NAV developer in NL you can make the same, or more money than consultants, but analytical skills and knowledge of how companies work are mandatory for that.
    Basically, I think things might depend on how we define the term consultancy. One definition is "somebody who can only use and configure a software, but cannot (deeply) modify it". Other definition could be "someone who understands a given industry better than the client and therefore is able to provide a combined benefit or BPR + software".
    Hi Sxin,

Just like what DenSter said, you should be able to find a job which the company is willingly to send you for training. For experienced programmer, the syntax and coding of Navision is not tough at all. The most difficult thing is to understand the structure of the Navision table and thus fully utilise existing table for customisation/new development, understand the flow/concept of Navision process eg. Posting routine.

I just have my current job for 3 months, company send me to Development II training last month. In Singapore, I think there are around 30+ solution centre, you should be able to find one.

The ebook will be included inside Nav 4.0 SP1 Installation CD.
    Thanks Wong for your info.
    It really gives me some clues on what is this Navision all about.
    I will see what I can do about it to get a Navision job.
    Maybe I should look for IT company where they develop their own solution and setup Navision at the same time.
    The course in Singapore is quite expensive, total from foundation until developer will cost about S$8000.
    Cant afford it by my self.

One thing that I dont really like about Microsoft programming language, personal opinion, is that: they keep changing the technology. Now Im doing C#, havent touch C# ver. 2 and I heard they coming with C# ver 3.
    The most painful experience was, I used to do ASP + VB COM.
    But now, it is outdated, I dont think you can find a job for that with a proper pay.
    Although java also keep enhancing their product, but there is no radical change in it.

So, that is the reason why im thinking to change line to ERP, more stable.
    The knowledge you get, can be applicable to other product, at least the business concept still the same. Am right to say that?
    The most difficult thing is to understand the structure of the Navision table and thus fully utilise existing table for customisation/new development, understand the flow/concept of Navision process eg. Posting routine.

Does this thing you mentioned is included in eBook?

Btw. for those who discussing about the pay being Developer and ERP consultant is: ERP consultant, generally and most of the time earn higher.
    Survey have proofed it.
    I think only certain places they may pay developer higher, maybe because the company got a BIG project.

And all the best and success for your navision carreer ... :wink:

If I have another question, I will post it here again. Thanks.

Sxin :D
    Hi Denster,

Thank you for your encouragement.
    No wonder you become the MVP :D
    Thats the way to go man.
    I know to be MVP is not easy, unless you are really smart and helpfull.

Sxin :)
    Actually Navision will be slowly converted to .NET supported by 2013, you will be able to code Navision in either .NET or C/AL.

Regarding to the flow/concept, it wont be covered in ebook, you need to attend the course.
  • melvinmelvin Member Posts: 2

Well, Navision Consultant positions are not lucrative in Singapore. Starting salary for a non-experienced Technical position is roughly SGD$2,200. ](*,)

Conditions are not as glamourous as you think and incentives are few. Unless you love the job, else it will be extremely tough etching a niche in this area (in Singapore).

Not forgetting, implementation cycles (SDLC) are often short (2 months or so) and you'll be expected to handle more than 1 project at any one time. Some companies, like mine, don't even give 13 month bonuses.

So expect to be paid little for lots of hardwork and sacrifice. :cry:

--> A strong passion for ERP development will see you through. :roll:
    Tough Times Don't Last.
    Tough Men Do.
  • szleemszleem Member Posts: 11
    Are there someone know a Chinese Ax BA's salary?
    a new employee with 2 years ERP experience is 5K-8K usd/year.
    a new employee with 5 years ERP experience is 8K-15K usd/year.