Options

What do you do for a living?

Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
edited 2006-04-17 in General Chat
I'm a Navision consultant that's well advsed in sales, implementation, programming, training, etc, etc.

When I go to cocktail parties or dinner parties, I usually have a hardtime explaining to people what I do. It's not a general profession as if you can you're a dentist, lawyer, accountant, etc.

I don't use the term "consultant" that much since the term has been overused by fresh college graduates calling themselves consultants when they get hired into the Big 5 companies.

Right now, I tell people I'm a programmer, but that seems to dumb down what we do. However, getting into details ususally bores them to death.

How would you introduce your profession in 30 seconds?

Comments

• Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    I usually tell people that I am a software developer working with a Microsoft ERP system. If they don't lose me right there (which usually happens) I will explain more. I try never to use the word 'programmer' for myself. Most people not in this business don't realize or appreciate the diversity of this job though.
  • Options
    SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    I'm a Navision consultant that's well advsed in sales, implementation, programming, training, etc, etc.

How About,

Hi, I'm a one man army. Bring me all your women! :lol:

It's even harder for me - I don't even know what I do. I mean today people usually have to wear so many hats which one do you pick?

Hi, I'm a Accountant, manufactuer, tech advisor, shipping agent, security manager, electrician & plumber. Now on tuesdays, I'm a .........

So I'm sticking with the "One man Army" thingy :mrgreen:
    or your "Friendly Neighborhood MacGyver"

Depends on the situation :-$
  • Options
    Yeah, but saying you're a one man army usually means you're a "know it all". And nobody likes a know-it-all. :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • Options
    Ah, but then does that make a Liberal Arts Major a Know-it-all too? :wink:

For your taxes you have to fill out a job title.. what do you put?

I usually just put "Computer Operator" - like the IRS cares anyway.
  • Options
    deadlizard wrote:
    When I go to cocktail parties or dinner parties, I usually have a hardtime explaining to people what I do.

As I re-read your post & with a little editing, I think this is perfect.
    It's not a general profession as a dentist, lawyer, accountant, etc.

I don't use the term "consultant" that much since the term has been overused by fresh college graduates calling themselves consultants when they get hired into the Big 5 companies.

Right now, I tell people I'm a programmer, but that seems to dumb down what I do. However, I don't want to bore you to death with the details.

So, what do you do?
    :whistle:
  • Options
  • Options
    nelsonnelson Member Posts: 107
    End-user here. :)

I just tell people I am responsible for implementing/installing/maintaining/configuring/developing/etc. (whichever crosses my mind at that time) a "business management" software.

I will usually mention that the software is from Microsoft - a brand everyone will recognize - and most times that it is called Navision - which is about the last thing I say about it before people get lost.

The important bit is to convey the message that it is a kind of computer program that companies use for managing their day-to-day business, reporting, accounting and so on... if that gets through, you've sucessfully presented yourself:
    "Hi, I manage a software which helps companies manage themselves."
    8)
    Nelson Alberto
  • Options
    nelson wrote:
    The important bit is to convey the message that it is a kind of computer program that companies use for managing their day-to-day business, reporting, accounting and so on... if that gets through, you've sucessfully presented yourself:
    "Hi, I manage a software which helps companies manage themselves."
    8)

LOL!!! Oh my god, that's the best comment I've seen in a while. Almost Dilbert-isk!

:lol::lol::lol: =D>
  • Options
    nelsonnelson Member Posts: 107
    Then... start using it! :D :P
    Nelson Alberto
  • Options
    ShenpenShenpen Member Posts: 386
    Heh, nice topic :)

For "mundanes", I usually just say "I work with Business IT". That usually turns the topic of conversation to another direction :)

To people with similar jobs, I usually say "I am a General Navision Scandal Abolisher - turning enraged customers to merely disappointed by whatever it takes to from programming, configuration, training and documenting to phone support." They are usually nod empathically :)

Do It Yourself is they key. Standard code might work - your code surely works.
  • Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,096
    How about "Problem Solver"? (by the English also called Shit Shuffler :lol: )
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• Options
    Shit Shuffler? Excellent! :) I am trying to translate a colorful Hungarian expression as "Scandal Dissolver" : "balhéelhárító". "balhé' means trouble, emergency, scandal, fist fight or even a loud music party or rock gig. "elhárít" means to thwart or to dissolve, but in a wider sense: countespionage is called spythwarting and anti-aircraft fire is called airthwarting. In German it would probably be Wehableitung or Wehabwehr if that makes any sense :)

• Options
    kriki wrote:
    How about "Problem Solver"? (by the English also called Shit Shuffler :lol: )

Well, but terms like Problem Solver, Miracle Worker, and Shit Shuffler is really overused by everyone who solves even minute problems.

Personally, I don't think "Shit Suffler" will come off nicely in a cocktail or dinner party. O:)
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    On my business card is "Software developer" or "ERP developer", but when I am between people which are far from this area, I am just "working with Information Systems".
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    Actually most of the answers we can come up with usually get answered by a blank stare and a reply like: "Uh... whatever. Err, what do you think of the new Limp Bizkit single?" :)

• Options
    Tarek_DemiatiTarek_Demiati Member Posts: 112
    For Software Engineers/Developers, I quite like
    the answer of this software engineer defining his job :

"During software design, I’m an architect.
    While I’m designing the user interface, I’m an artist.
    During construction, I’m a craftsman.
    And during unit testing, I’m one mean son of a bitch!"

Source : http://www.stevemcconnell.com/ieeesoftware/bp13.htm
  • Options
    Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
  • Options
    I think the bottom line is that what we Navisioners do is really under appreciated. Saying too much will sound very pretendious. Since what we doing requires a lot of knowledge include, but not limited to:

Accounting
    Finance
    Programming
    User Interface Design
    Project Management
    Verbal/Written Communication
    Personel management
    Sales
    Problem Solving
    Organization

Feel free to add on to this list. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    DB design,
    Business Analysis
    Requirement Analysis
    Manufacturing
    Report writing
    Babysitting clients 
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    psychologist
    driver
    IT Pro
    web developer
    diviner (to predict future)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    now if you can only predict what will be in next versions of navision?

:mrgreen:
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

• Options
    DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Ah but we don't have to predict that do we :mrgreen:
  • Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,096
    And with each project in a different type of business we also learn that business!
    Is there any profession who can say that?
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• Options
    kriki wrote:
    And with each project in a different type of business we also learn that business!
    Is there any profession who can say that?

The receiptionist?
  • Options
    If you are a tempporary receiptionist, who moves from one company to another. Otherwise, you work for the same company and you learn just that business.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini