Options

Navision Object Manager - Base

2»

Comments

• Options
    alecavaalecava Member Posts: 15
    Interesting project! I'm trying it and I have a question:

In the project card what "Project DB ID" and "MNC Task ID" stands for?

Thanks in advance,
    Alessandro
  • Options
    SPost29SPost29 Member Posts: 148
    Hi Alessandro,
    Thanks for your interest.
    Those two project card fields are just informational fields. We are a Navision Solution Center so these fields allow the project in the DB to be tied to a tracking project "Project DB ID" and to the task used by our accounting department to bill our client. They can be deleted or renamed They are not used except as information.

If you have any other questions or comments don't hesitate
    Steve
  • Options
    Thanks for the answer.
    We are a solution center too and we are starting a big project on Navision that should be an addon for the W1 version. We need to modify a lot of standard Navision object, for this reason I'm looking for something that can help me to keep track of the modification.
    More we are a group of people that must work on the same solution and, as consequence , on the same database.

I worked for a couple of years unsing .NET development environment and I am a little worried about the ancient Navision development environment method.

Regards,
    Alessandro
  • Options
    Hi Alessandro,

Navision does seem antiquated compared to .Net and it still amazes me what can be done with so few commands compared to .net.
    Here are some areas in Object Manager that may be helpful.
    You might want to explore:

1. History When you start create a baseline history for the database.
    2. using the compare feature you can then text compare any object with its baseline history object. You can also compare the live object with any other version in history. History only updates on command either from setup (where you can choose to have it show on open what has changed) since the last history update)
    3. You can restore object versions from history to the live DB
    4. You can restore history to the original object No. or to a default object No. or to a specified object no. Then you can cut and paste from one object to another.
    5. Codesafe on the other hand saves a copy of the object whenever it is opened in design and there is no matching version in history or already in codesafe. Codesafe records are created per each user. Codesafe can also text compare to live. Objects can be restored to live from codesafe too.
    6. By using .vso files to import and export you can txet compare objects before you import them and also redirect them to a different no.
    7. Of course marking objects is very helpful. You could also have a project that is all objects in the project and then individual users could have their own subprojects. Its very helpful to be able to scroll through a few objects inctead of every object
    8. There is a feature to warn or block users if an object is open by someone else. It is included but I would call it only Alpha tested.

There are a few more features which may be helpful but these are the ones I use every day.

If I can be of anymore help just ask
    Steve
  • Options
    I appreciate your collaboration and yours advice. I'll experiment OM in the deep and, if I have more questions, I'll ask.

Thanks again
    Alessandro
  • Options
    visperasvisperas Member Posts: 31
    i need some help for work with this program.
    how works it?

thanks.
  • Options
    Hi,
    Sorry for the delay in my response.
    If you have read the included documentation. I'm not sure what else to tell you. If you have specific questions, I would be happy to answer them.
    I don't know what to tell you without some specific guidance as to what you want to know.

I look forward to hearing from you.
    Steve
  • Options
    WulleWulle Member Posts: 6
    Hi everybody

Congrats to the author, this OM is really a pretty good thing.
    But since 4 months nothing's going on in this board anymore.
    Are you still going to improve it?
    In the moment, there are still some text messages in English only.
    Is there a fully Multilanguage version available?
    What about an interface to an external compare tool like BeyondCompare?
    If you dont know it this is a professional compare tool with many helpfull functions.

Greetings
    Wulle to the author, this OM is really a pretty good thing.
    Wulle
  • Options
    Thank you for your kind comments.
    I am currently working on the documentation for the new version. Most changes are internal (using temp tables etc - which speeds up the response on server DBs)
    Also I now handle xml and menusuite objects.
    As usual the documentation takes as long as the development and generally isn't as much fun.
    If people are interested in the only partially documented version I will post it.
    As far as multi language I am only doing that slowly and only when I think of it -sorry :-)
    Steve