Options

Business Central 20.2 Application Upgrade to 20.10 fails (without performing a platform upgrade)

ArhontisArhontis Member Posts: 667
Hello,

I have an On-Premises test environment of Business Central in version:
Version: W1 20.2 (Platform 20.0.41086.41354 + Application 1.0.0.0)

That is 2022 Wave 1, cu 2.

I am researching the way to upgrade the application to cu 10 that is released (but not perform a platform update).

I have found the following guide:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/dynamics365/business-central/dev-itpro/upgrade/upgrading-cumulative-update-v20

and following a few of the steps (skipping the platform update).

I have downloaded the dvd of the 20 cu 10 and found the ms extension files

When I try to publish the new System Application:
$SystemAppPath = ".\Microsoft_System Application.app"
Publish-NAVApp -ServerInstance $BcServerInstance -Path $SystemAppPath -SkipVerification

it returns the following error:
Publish-NAVApp : The runtime version of the extension package is currently set to '9.2'. The runtime version must be set to '9.1' or earlier in the app.json file in order to install the extension package on this server.

The parameter $SystemAppPath is pointing to the ms system app as it is shown above.

The plan was to first publish and then do sync and start nav app data upgrade to have the app to be upgraded (with all three ms extensions):

Sync-NAVApp -ServerInstance $BcServerInstance -Tenant $TenantId -Name "System Application" -Version $NewBcVersion
Start-NAVAppDataUpgrade -ServerInstance $BcServerInstance -Tenant $TenantId -Name "System Application" -Version $NewBcVersion

I have searched for the error, but all I got is to get the extension app.json, and change the runtime of that and build it again.
(i.e. https://thinkaboutit.be/2018/10/how-do-i-set-the-runtime-version-of-the-extension-package/)

So, any recommendation on why is that error occuring and how I can overcome it, or if I am following the wrong procedure on installing a minor update to an existing on-premises installation?

Thank in advance

Best Answer

• Options
    ShaiHuludShaiHulud Member Posts: 228
    Answer ✓
    The System App under BC20.10 uses newer runtime, one that is not supported by BC20.2 platform.
    If you want to upgrade apps to BC20.10, you will have to upgrade the platform as well, or make changes to the system and base apps and repackage as your own (not recommended!!!).

In fact, other than some select niche cases under old NAV, I have not heard of anybody wanting to upgrade apps, but not the platform

Answers

• Options
    ShaiHuludShaiHulud Member Posts: 228
    Answer ✓
    The System App under BC20.10 uses newer runtime, one that is not supported by BC20.2 platform.
    If you want to upgrade apps to BC20.10, you will have to upgrade the platform as well, or make changes to the system and base apps and repackage as your own (not recommended!!!).

In fact, other than some select niche cases under old NAV, I have not heard of anybody wanting to upgrade apps, but not the platform
  • Options
    ArhontisArhontis Member Posts: 667
    I was suspecting that was the case.

I am on the way on doing the full upgrade, including the platform.

Thank you very much for the feedback.