Options

BC/NAV career prospects

colzacolza Member Posts: 4
edited 2022-12-20 in NAV Three Tier
It's 2023 you are to become a junior developer, do you choose the path of Business Central/NAV develper role? Why yes and why not?

Answers

• Options
    ShaiHuludShaiHulud Member Posts: 228
    A good NAV/BC developer these days (and even more moving forward) does not limit his/her experience and knowledge to NAV/BC. You can improve your portfolio by learning Azure Functions (C#), PowerShell, SQL, Power Platform (Apps, BI), Control Add-Ins (JavaScript), etc. All of this skills are highly sought-after outside of NAV/BC world as well.
    This means that you can (relatively) reclassify into other type of developer if NAV/BC starts dying or you get bored of it. At the moment, however, NAV/BC developers are in high demand, so if you're not afraid of learning a lot of new things and dipping your toes into a financial system, then it's definitely a good option.
  • Options
    bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    Don't limit yourself only to technical skills. Build your knowledge of accounting and business processes. These will be important in evolving your career beyond simply writing code.

There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • Options
    ShaiHulud wrote: »
    A good NAV/BC developer these days (and even more moving forward) does not limit his/her experience and knowledge to NAV/BC. You can improve your portfolio by learning Azure Functions (C#), PowerShell, SQL, Power Platform (Apps, BI), Control Add-Ins (JavaScript), etc. All of this skills are highly sought-after outside of NAV/BC world as well.
    This means that you can (relatively) reclassify into other type of developer if NAV/BC starts dying or you get bored of it. At the moment, however, NAV/BC developers are in high demand, so if you're not afraid of learning a lot of new things and dipping your toes into a financial system, then it's definitely a good option.

Thank you very much for an in-depth answer! I am a junior NAV/BC developer already so now I am already overwhelmed by the amount of information,but looking long term your answer is very useful. Also from what you know, is it easy to find freelance jobs for NAV/BC developers?
  • Options
    ShaiHuludShaiHulud Member Posts: 228
    colza wrote: »

Thank you very much for an in-depth answer! I am a junior NAV/BC developer already so now I am already overwhelmed by the amount of information,but looking long term your answer is very useful. Also from what you know, is it easy to find freelance jobs for NAV/BC developers?

Personally I haven't heard of any companies looking specifically for freelancers, but the demand itself for BC developers is high, so it might be possible to find something as a freelancer.

Though keep in mind, that if you go freelance, you should be able to bring much more to the table than a developer in a company - as bbrown said, you'd be expected to have some working knowledge and best-practices for accounting as well as business processes. Great starting point to learn that is to go through a process of setting up a BC company completely from scratch - Chart of Accounts, Setups, Inventory, etc.
  • Options
    edited 2022-12-24
    colza wrote: »

Personally I haven't heard of any companies looking specifically for freelancers, but the demand itself for BC developers is high, so it might be possible to find something as a freelancer.

Though keep in mind, that if you go freelance, you should be able to bring much more to the table than a developer in a company - as bbrown said, you'd be expected to have some working knowledge and best-practices for accounting as well as business processes. Great starting point to learn that is to go through a process of setting up a BC company completely from scratch - Chart of Accounts, Setups, Inventory, etc.

Understood. One thing that bugs me is that I can't find so much tutorials/blogs regarding this tech stack. For example I'd love to have a comprehensive up to date "setting up a BC company completely from scratch" tutorial which would explain everything in detail. Or other essential topics that would help me build the basics. Or either I do not find this information. Maybe you'd recommend some resources(which do not include microsoft documentation,microsoft learn) for a junior dev that'd build his base for further career? And what kind of financial/business topics I'd need to dive deeper into? Thank you very much, hope you can answer this also. Peace!
  • Options
    Developer101Developer101 Member Posts: 528

Understood. One thing that bugs me is that I can't find so much tutorials/blogs regarding this tech stack. For example I'd love to have a comprehensive up to date "setting up a BC company completely from scratch" tutorial which would explain everything in detail. Or other essential topics that would help me build the basics. Or either I do not find this information. Maybe you'd recommend some resources(which do not include microsoft documentation,microsoft learn) for a junior dev that'd build his base for further career? And what kind of financial/business topics I'd need to dive deeper into? Thank you very much, hope you can answer this also. Peace!

When you work for a partner , you will have all the materials and training provided and of course you have all the help from your seniors. So you do not have to worry.

For self study : You can always search youtube. Have a look at this:
    https://usedynamics.com/business-central/

Obviously , you have forums like mibuso. https://community.dynamics.com/business/f/dynamics-365-business-central-forum
    https://www.dynamicsuser.net
    https://msdynamicsworld.com/

Check this also https://www.d365ug.com/home

You can also watch webinars offered by different companies etc. So there is plenty that you can do for self studies.

https://areopa.academy/

Thanks
    United Kingdom