RDL Error Definition of Report is not valid

jordi79jordi79 Member Posts: 272
Hi,

I have this weird error below when trying to modify a rdlc layout and compile a report object.

Microsoft Dynamics NAV Development Environment
Error while validating RDL content:
The definition of this report is not valid or supported by this version of Reporting Services. The report definition may have been created with a later version of Reporting Services, or contain content that is not well-formed or not valid based on Reporting Services schemas. Details: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
OK

I have a backup of a compilable version of this same report object. When I exported the 2 in Txt format and compare the difference I see is:

Compilable Object
{ 6455;2 ;DataItem;PageLoop ;
DataItemTable=Table2000000026;
DataItemTableView=SORTING(Number)
WHERE(Number=CONST(1)) }

Uncompilable Object
{ 6455;2 ;DataItem;PageLoop ;
DataItemTable=Table2000000026;
DataItemTableView=SORTING(Number) WHERE(Number=CONST(1)) }

BC version is BC14 (14.0.48295)
ReportBuilder version is 15.0.19914.0

Answers

• vaprogvaprog Member Posts: 1,116
    This type of line break difference usually comes from exporting a compiled version of an object vs. a non-compiled one.

Your difference must be found in the layout part (the xml data in the RDLDATA section of the OBJECT.

Using an editor, extract the contents of that section. Then convert it from OEM encoding to UTF-8, then use an XML-validator to check it. (The version of the layout stored in the text version of the NAV object is not exactly OEM encoded: some characters differ. Pay special attention to €-signs; at least for me this is the most likely offender).

If the layout seems to be ok then try to load it into the layout designer direktly. If this succeeds, the part of the error message about the version applies.

• jordi79jordi79 Member Posts: 272
    edited 2023-09-18
    Since i have a backup, I started eliminating the sections of the report 1 by 1. And it seems the error was caused by a textbox that was set to AutoGrow, with a very small column width (0.001unitS).
    After deleting this text box, the report was compilable again.