Options

Removing dates from Reservations.

David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
This is an issue I have seen for a few clients, normally a training one, but one particular client really does need reservations to be independent of date. The client is on old 3.10 objects.

The issue is that if you are in (say) a sales order and you want to reserve an item, it will only show you purchase orders with and expected receipt date prior to the expected ship date of the order.

This customer, like many do not use dates at all. Basically when the good come in they ship.

We have been basically faking the dates to make it all work, but that then makes for other complications.

What's the best way to go about this to just basically ignore dates.
David Singleton

Comments

• Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    May be it will somehow help you:

Try to change the function InitFilter in CU99000845 - there are filters when searching for possible documents to reserve things from...
    Than check codunit 99000815 - it looks like functions to check if there are conflicts between dates on reservations.

May be there is somewhere the correct point to make the surgical cut...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    That's really the point why I was asking here. Maybe someone else has done it.

There is not just once place to make that cut. I have made some attempts, but every time it pops up somewhere else.

The odd thing is that I guess less than 20% of all clients I have worked with need reservations at date level. most just concern them selves with quantities.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
    i've been working with reservation entries because i've hade to modify the item tracking standard functionality...needless to say it's was damn difficult (the modifications i made have to be replicated in something like 5 objects, if i remember well).
    If the 2 codeunits that kamil posted are not enough (i would have bet on them :-k ), i would try with the "bad guy" approach: disable the field, compile everything and pray that there are not too much uncompiled objects [-o<
    -Mirko-
    "Never memorize what you can easily find in a book".....Or Mibuso
    My Blog
  • Options
    Belias wrote:
    i've been working with reservation entries because i've hade to modify the item tracking standard functionality...needless to say it's was damn difficult (the modifications i made have to be replicated in something like 5 objects, if i remember well).
    If the 2 codeunits that kamil posted are not enough (i would have bet on them :-k ), i would try with the "bad guy" approach: disable the field, compile everything and pray that there are not too much uncompiled objects [-o<

The bad guy approach might be good, but the client is runnign 3.10 objects on 5.00 sp1 exe, so there are a lotof objects already that wont compile. So it would be quite a lot of work.

In an Ideal world what they would like is that you go to a purchase order line and drill down on reservations, and it shows all unreserved sales orders (irrespective of date) and when you apply them it changes the date on the sales line to that of the purchase line.

I just don't see why they made this so complex. Sure agile manufacturing is good, but its just too much work for the users to maintain it.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,096
    Some other possibility to try:
    when you insert a reservation entry, try to override the date and put always 2000/01/01. Maybe that works, but I don't know what the consequences can be.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• Options
    kriki wrote:
    Some other possibility to try:
    when you insert a reservation entry, try to override the date and put always 2000/01/01. Maybe that works, but I don't know what the consequences can be.

How would that work?
    David Singleton
  • Options
    Instead of not filtering on dates, let it filter dates, but if all dates are the same, it should not be a problem because all arrivals are the same date as the shipment dates.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion

• Options
    kriki wrote:
    Instead of not filtering on dates, let it filter dates, but if all dates are the same, it should not be a problem because all arrivals are the same date as the shipment dates.

have you tried that? I am pretty sure that the date is used in many more places than just that one table.

Why is this written as just a big bunch of spaghetti. That and planning should be thrown out and started again.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    I didn't try it. It is just a wild guess. And maybe it even functions.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion

• Options
    DiegoPDiegoP Member Posts: 3
    Now in 2022 I have the same problem David, after all these years, what would you recommend me to face this problem?
  • Options
    DiegoP wrote: »
    Now in 2022 I have the same problem David, after all these years, what would you recommend me to face this problem?

Is this in BC? Or are you working on an older version. I haven't looked at this in BC.

In the old version back then we ended out adding code to change the dates so that the outgoing reservation was always later than the incoming. But it was a horrible solution. If in BC I think it would be even worse since you can't modify base code so you would need a process that "cleans" up all the dates before you apply reservations.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    DiegoPDiegoP Member Posts: 3

Is this in BC? Or are you working on an older version. I haven't looked at this in BC.

In the old version back then we ended out adding code to change the dates so that the outgoing reservation was always later than the incoming. But it was a horrible solution. If in BC I think it would be even worse since you can't modify base code so you would need a process that "cleans" up all the dates before you apply reservations.

Is in BC 14, the latest version with development enviroment so I can modify base code, but i don´t know what would be the best approach.

Thanks for the reply!
  • Options
    Is in BC 14, the latest version with development enviroment so I can modify base code, but i don´t know what would be the best approach.

I would avoid modifying the base code in any BC system since eventually the aim would be to upgrade. My suggestion is to look at the underlying data (i.e. the dates) and work out which date(s) you need to change manually, then create extensible functionality that would make the changes to data without touching code.

David Singleton