Getting error "Login failed connecting to SQL server xxx"

Client is running 2012 SQL server based Navision 2009 R2 older version. Primary activity is in Payroll. The server is having problems so temporarily we are moving the sql database to a standalone workstation and continue to work from there until server issues resolved, then create backup from local wkst and restore back to original sever SQL.

Client installed SQL 2012 on the workstation. I created and restored an SQL backup of the original server SQL database into the SQL on the wkst. I am able to open SQL using windows login, no problem. database restored no problem. When I start Navision on the workstation and point to the local SQL database I get the error above. (I resolved the "xp_ndo.dll" issue).

Mibuso comments suggest "delete the entries in the dbo.users and dbo.window logins tables". Another person said "delete the users and window logins from the Master".

If I delete the entries from these sql tables how will i login from Navision?
Assuming I DO get into Navision and the user completes activities in the db. How will this impact the final backup and restore of the db retuning to the original server. Will I not incur the same problem at that time with the users and window logins?

Thanks

Answers

• KTA8KTA8 Member Posts: 388
    You've to types of login in that version windows and sql one, which is it the one you're using?
  • twdavis1011twdavis1011 Member Posts: 4
    Ive tried both the windows login and the database login. using the windows login i get an error indicating my license restricts me to 2 nondemonstration companies.
    which is weird because my license allows numerous companies.
    the error above is when I try to use database login
    in navision, i checked the license and it is correct company license i have always used.
    it seems that when I start the finsql and select database, and specify windows authentication it is as if it is using the CRONUS license initially, thus the error indicating "license restricts me to 2 nondemonstration companies....".

when i change to database authentication it does not recognize the userids.

One note, during the setup of SQL 2012 we accepted the default instance name (not sure if that has anything to do with the issue at hand).

any comments would be appreciated.
    update:
    I noticed someone else had a similar issue and the solution was the license was NOT stored in the database even when I imported. In Navision, I went to database\alter and set the option to store license in db.

Thank you for your comments!
  • KTA8KTA8 Member Posts: 388
    The same sql user is created now? does it works?