ModifyAll Item Costing Methods

AntonisAntonis Member Posts: 6
edited 2022-03-26 in NAV Three Tier
Greetings to all of you.

CASE: My customer needs to change all of his items costing method, from average to FIFO.

The items have already related ledger entries which means that i am not capable of modifying the value of the costing method , within BC.

Due to that , i am trying to create a codeunit which will allow me to do so.

This is what i tried to do.

https://prnt.sc/sJqeO1OWUZRS

https://prnt.sc/JO0RQzfdrGHu

Unfortunately , when i press the action button within BC, nothing happens.

Am i missing anything? It's really important for us to solve this case because we need to avoid renaming the old item codes and create new ons from scratch.

Comments

• AluanAluan Member Posts: 158
    Hello,
    as far as i know it is not recommended to change the costing method, that's why it's usually not possible. That can cause problems in the future.

See here:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dynamics365/business-central/design-details-changing-costing-methods
    Summary
    Changing the costing method on items that have been used in transactions is a process, and not a standard action in Business Central. You can use the steps described in this topic as a template for the process.

The process can be time consuming because there are several manual steps. However, taking the time to complete it will minimize the impact of mistakes on your general ledger.

We recommend the following:

Assess the feasibility of the process by taking one, or maybe a few, representative items through the entire process.
    Consider contacting an experienced partner who can help you with the process.

In your Code you are not calling your function. You just call Codeunit.Run, but in that trigger u have nothing included. That's why nothing happens.
  • AntonisAntonis Member Posts: 6
    Aluan wrote: »
    Hello,
    as far as i know it is not recommended to change the costing method, that's why it's usually not possible. That can cause problems in the future.

See here:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dynamics365/business-central/design-details-changing-costing-methods
    Summary
    Changing the costing method on items that have been used in transactions is a process, and not a standard action in Business Central. You can use the steps described in this topic as a template for the process.

The process can be time consuming because there are several manual steps. However, taking the time to complete it will minimize the impact of mistakes on your general ledger.

We recommend the following:

Assess the feasibility of the process by taking one, or maybe a few, representative items through the entire process.
    Consider contacting an experienced partner who can help you with the process.

In your Code you are not calling your function. You just call Codeunit.Run, but in that trigger u have nothing included. That's why nothing happens.

With the aid of your notice, i managed to change the costing method from Average to FIFO.

Whoever , now , when i am re-running the adjust item cost/prices , the system makes no new correcting entries to adjust the cost amount of the entries , based on the new costing method.

Why is that?

Any help..?!
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    Antonis wrote: »
    Aluan wrote: »
    Hello,
    as far as i know it is not recommended to change the costing method, that's why it's usually not possible. That can cause problems in the future....

With the aid of your notice, i managed to change the costing method from Average to FIFO.

Whoever , now , when i am re-running the adjust item cost/prices , the system makes no new correcting entries to adjust the cost amount of the entries , based on the new costing method.

Why is that?

Any help..?!

Refer to the above statement from Aluan....

There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • Tom1978Tom1978 Member Posts: 3
    Hello Antonis,

please create a backup first and create a new test database.

In this database you can try following changes:

1. in the table item (27) all items which you want change get the value "Cost is Adjusted" = false
    2. in the table item ledger entries (32) all positiv entries get the value "Applied Entry to Adjust" = false
    3. in the tabel Avg. Cost Adjmt. Entry Point (5804) all items which you want change the the value Cost Is Adjusted = false
    4. run the report 795 and have fun and check the values
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,094
    [Topic moved from 'NAV/Navision Classic Client' forum to 'NAV Three Tier' forum]

Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!