Date Compression for Job Ledger Entry ?

omerfarukomerfaruk Member Posts: 16
edited 2022-01-19 in NAV Three Tier
On NAV 2017 (16585) , I can see that there are date compression options for several ledger entry types ( including Cust. Ledg. Entry , Vend. Ledg, Entry, Gen. Ledg, Entry .Bank Ledg. Entry. etc) . However I couldn't find a way to date compress Job Ledger Entry records. ( also searched on Google ) . Do you know a way to do that?

Answers

• txerifftxeriff Member Posts: 492
    I've never used the date compression thing I think some recommend it, some don't.

I think it just creates a "summary entry" and deletes all the other entries.

You can try doing yourself for job ledg. entry:
    -make a backup of the table
    -clear all entries and make a "summary" entry with the actual value.
    -Start with small projects and see how it looks like.

• bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    The first question is why are you looking to run these routines?

These routines originate from the very early days of NAV. Where NAV charged you based on allowed database size, and the cost of physical disk space was also rather high. Neither of these situations exist today.

There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • txerifftxeriff Member Posts: 492
    bbrown wrote: »

These routines originate from the very early days of NAV. Where NAV charged you based on allowed database size, and the cost of physical disk space was also rather high. Neither of these situations exist today.

well,

if you have years and years, maybe millions of records, I presume this affects to the performance, right?
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    txeriff wrote: »
    bbrown wrote: »

well,

if you have years and years, maybe millions of records, I presume this affects to the performance, right?

I have work with NAV\BC for almost 25 years. Including several databases of several hundred GB and one that was well over 1 TB. I have never once used data compression (or deleting of data) to resolve a performance issue on a ledger table. I would consider it a very last option, at best.

On the other hand, I have seen incidents where data compression was run and created problems. I can't speak specifically to compressing Job Entry. But in general I tend to avoid these processes.

There are no bugs - only undocumented features.