Options

Is there any way to debug a BC 19 upgrade?

SunsetSunset Member Posts: 201
I am currently stuck in an update from BC14 to BC19 with an error saying
ModuleName : Base Application af Microsoft
WorkflowStep : OnUpgrade
ExtensionName : Base Application
ExtensionId : 437dbf0e-84ff-417a-965d-ed2bb9650972
ExtensionVersion : 19.0.29894.30693
ExecutionSourceId : 437dbf0e-84ff-417a-965d-ed2bb9650972
SessionId : 37
CompanyName : (Intentionally removed)
StartTime : 16-12-2021 16:43:09
Duration :
State : Failed
Error : Unable to encrypt data. The provided string is too long.
NavDataUpgradeExecutionErrorDetails : Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Types.NavAppUpgradeOrInstallExecutionErrorDetails
PostUpgrade : False

but I have absolutely no idea how I am to figure out what is causing the problem.

The only reference I can find to the error is CU9 in NAV2017. But I can't find any reference to what the error was caused by, just that it is supposed to be fixed.
My upgrade starts from NAV2017, but CU12 and I get to BC14 without problems, so I don't know if it is caused by something else.

Anybody got any hints?
Don't just take my word for it, test it yourself

Best Answer

• Options
    Answer ✓
    Looking in the Windows event log gave me a clue by providing the codeunit that created the error. Turns out the error was caused by encryption being turned on. Deactivating encryption while in BC14 solved the problem.

If anybody has a hint as to how to debug a BC codeunit while firing powershell commands, I am still interested ;)

Answers

• Options
    Answer ✓
    Looking in the Windows event log gave me a clue by providing the codeunit that created the error. Turns out the error was caused by encryption being turned on. Deactivating encryption while in BC14 solved the problem.

If anybody has a hint as to how to debug a BC codeunit while firing powershell commands, I am still interested ;)