Options

Dynamics BC Data Upgrade Nightmare rant

jordi79jordi79 Member Posts: 272
edited 2021-11-04 in NAV Three Tier
Hi,
Have anyone tried to successfully upgrade data from a custom BC14 solution on C/AL to BC 18 on prem before?

I find the experience very confusing.

I am stuck at :
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dynamics365/business-central/dev-itpro/upgrade/upgrade-to-microsoft-base-app-v18#task-14-synchronize-final-extensions

While syncing "6. Second version of the table migration extension (empty version)".

During this step it prompts missing fields/tables which are part of the customisation done in BC14.
Sync-NAVApp : Table Location :: The field 'Location Type' cannot be located. Removing fields is not allowed.
Table Location :: The field 'Customer No.' cannot be located. Removing fields is not allowed.
Table G/L Entry :: The field 'Bill-to/Pay-to Name' cannot be located. Removing fields is not allowed.
Table Item :: The field 'Brand' cannot be located. Removing fields is not allowed.
Table Purchase Header :: The field 'Launch Date' cannot be located. Removing fields is not allowed.
Table Gen. Journal Line :: The field 'Bill-to/Pay-to Name' cannot be located. Removing fields is not allowed.
Table Item Journal Line :: The field 'POS Stock Take Qty.' cannot be located. Removing fields is not allowed.
Table Comment Line :: The field 'Last DateTime Modified' cannot be located. Removing fields is not allowed.
Table VAT Statement Line :: The field 'Formula' cannot be located. Removing fields is not allowed.
Table VAT Statement Line :: The field 'Blank Positive' cannot be located. Removing fields is not allowed.
Table VAT Statement Line :: The field 'Blank Negative' cannot be located. Removing fields is not allowed.
Table VAT Statement Line :: The field 'Constant Value' cannot be located. Removing fields is not allowed.
Table Transfer Header :: The field 'Last DateTime Modified' cannot be located. Removing fields is not allowed.
Table Transfer Line :: The field 'Item Cross Reference No.' cannot be located. Removing fields is not allowed.
Table Sales Price :: The field 'Last DateTime Modified' cannot be located. Removing fields is not allowed.
Table COA Patching :: The table 'COA Patching' cannot be located. Removing tables is not allowed unless they are temporary or are being moved by migration to another app.
At line:1 char:1

What am I missing?

At this rate, it is easier to just destroy all the data from custom fields, and just do the data upgrade on standard tables/fields. After the upgrade of standard tables and fields, just write my own script to move the data from BC14 to BC18, or use rapidstart.

:(

Answers

• Options
    RockWithNAVRockWithNAV Member Posts: 1,139
    That's a very genuine error, syncing the second version means all the schema related information must overlap between the C/al and the Custom extension which you installed which holds the definition of customizations.

Even if its a base to base change then you are supposed to delete all those base tables and fields so that there's no conflict.

P.S- I did the migration of data from NAV 2013 to BC 18.4 for 22 companies and I was all successful its just it took way more time. :smile:

• Options
    Good to know this worked for someone. I will reset my environments and try again.
  • Options
    These missing fields -->
    Sync-NAVApp : Table Location :: The field 'Location Type' cannot be located. Removing fields is not allowed.
    Table Location :: The field 'Customer No.' cannot be located. Removing fields is not allowed.
    Table G/L Entry :: The field 'Bill-to/Pay-to Name' cannot be located. Removing fields is not allowed.
    Table Item :: The field 'Brand' cannot be located. Removing fields is not allowed.
    Table Purchase Header :: The field 'Launch Date' cannot be located. Removing fields is not allowed.
    Table Gen. Journal Line :: The field 'Bill-to/Pay-to Name' cannot be located. Removing fields is not allowed.
    Table Item Journal Line :: The field 'POS Stock Take Qty.' cannot be located. Removing fields is not allowed.
    Table Comment Line :: The field 'Last DateTime Modified' cannot be located. Removing fields is not allowed.
    Table VAT Statement Line :: The field 'Formula' cannot be located. Removing fields is not allowed.
    Table VAT Statement Line :: The field 'Blank Positive' cannot be located. Removing fields is not allowed.
    Table VAT Statement Line :: The field 'Blank Negative' cannot be located. Removing fields is not allowed.
    Table VAT Statement Line :: The field 'Constant Value' cannot be located. Removing fields is not allowed.
    Table Transfer Header :: The field 'Last DateTime Modified' cannot be located. Removing fields is not allowed.
    Table Transfer Line :: The field 'Item Cross Reference No.' cannot be located. Removing fields is not allowed.
    Table Sales Price :: The field 'Last DateTime Modified' cannot be located. Removing fields is not allowed.
    Table COA Patching :: The table 'COA Patching' cannot be located. Removing tables is not allowed unless they are temporary or are being moved by migration to another app.
    At line:1 char:1

They are already defined in my custom application. And I have already published this in task 13 https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dynamics365/business-central/dev-itpro/upgrade/upgrade-to-microsoft-base-app-v18#task-13-publish-final-extensions.
  • Options
    kozjckozjc Member Posts: 2
    Getting the same error. Spent too much time on this, I will probably have to resort to manual load.
    Sync-NAVApp : Table Currency :: The field 'Primary Bank Account No.' cannot be located. Removing fields is not allowed.......
  • Options
    Remember to import standard objects to destroy custom field data, and follow the standard bc14 upgrade path. Then do load of custom data manually. This worked for me.

But if u find a solution, please update. I still several more upgrades in the pipeline.
  • Options
    kozjckozjc Member Posts: 2
    Solved it with this guide - I was originally using a different upgrade guide
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dynamics365/business-central/dev-itpro/upgrade/upgrade-to-microsoft-base-app-v19
  • Options
    giuseppemaino7giuseppemaino7 Member Posts: 2
    I think it could be dependent to compatibility matrix.
    Take a look at this
    https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/dynamics365/business-central/dev-itpro/upgrade/upgrade-v14-v15-compatibility
  • Options
    Actually, I find (IMHO) that the microsoft's data upgrade for custom extensions too complicated and hard to follow. I always hated that Microsoft's explanation never comes with illustrations and screenshots.

I have used https://www.hougaard.com/uplifting/ several times now to great success. But since this uses SQL scripts, it only works for onprem. And the explanation there makes it easy to follow.
  • Options
    CrunchCrunch Member Posts: 37
    jordi79 wrote: »
    Remember to import standard objects to destroy custom field data, and follow the standard bc14 upgrade path. Then do load of custom data manually. This worked for me.

But if u find a solution, please update. I still several more upgrades in the pipeline.

I used to do it the manual way many times, but figured I would try it the MS way now. I'm stuck doing a BC23 upgrade at the exact same part as you were. Did you ever find out, what was wrong?
  • Options
    Crunch wrote: »
    jordi79 wrote: »

I used to do it the manual way many times, but figured I would try it the MS way now. I'm stuck doing a BC23 upgrade at the exact same part as you were. Did you ever find out, what was wrong?

No. I never figured out what went wrong. I just used the uplifting method athttps://www.hougaard.com/uplifting
    To get move the extensions over during upgrade.