Adjust cost

MBClarkeMBClarke Member Posts: 71
edited 2021-09-17 in NAV Three Tier
Hi, One of our clients did an upgrade from NAV 2016 to Business Central with LS Retail. Some of their items are set to 'Standard Cost'. They did not update the cost on the Item card before they posted the Inventory qty take on, thus posting the transaction at a zero cost. They also decided that they would bring in the qty per the NAV 2016 figures per store, which meant that some stores had a negative qty, not sure how, but they do.

We ran the Standard Cost worksheet to populate a revaluation journal but had to exclude the items that had an entry for a negative adjustment or sale. Once we ran the revaluation journal, the adjust cost function was run as well, but it did not update the cost of the sale line. Can anyone tell me why or what we have missed?

On that note, how do we adjust the cost for the negative adjustment lines from the take-on? This process has been a nightmare so far, as they have over 20 000 items.

Thanks for all your help.

Malcolm

Answers

• bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    Adjust Cost does not update the "Sales Lines". The "cost" on the Sales Line is whatever it was set to when the line was created. It is not updated. Adjust Cost is only concerned with the cost posted to inventory. It creates "Value Entries" to adjust the inventory cost.

The cost of a "Negative Adjustment" is what ever it was posted at. There is no direct adjustment of that cost. It will get adjusted once it is applied to an inbound (positive) entry and Adjust Cost is run.

There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • MBClarkeMBClarke Member Posts: 71
    Hi,

Thanks for the answer. Do you then suggest that I take all those negative adjustments, go through the application worksheet and apply them to a positive adjustment?

How would I update my cost of sales then?

Regards,
    Malcolm
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    MBClarke wrote: »
    On that note, how do we adjust the cost for the negative adjustment lines from the take-on? This process has been a nightmare so far, as they have over 20 000 items.

Malcolm

Unfortunately a job like this is not something you are going to solve with a few questions on a forum. For you post I gather you took on this client from another partner that messed up the data conversion, in which case the options now (depending on how long it has been since the conversion) is to start again and reimplement inventory, or start a major clean up. If you go the clean up path you are going to need to analyze all the issues, since the Cost on the sales line is probably the least of your problems.

This isn't the first NAV client to get into this situation and sadly wont be the last. I know this is a tough pill to swallow, but its not a quick fix.

David Singleton
  • MBClarkeMBClarke Member Posts: 71
    Hi David, Unfortunately starting over is not an option, so I think we need other options and directions on how to correct these entries.

Thanks for your input.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    MBClarke wrote: »
    Hi David, Unfortunately starting over is not an option, so I think we need other options and directions on how to correct these entries.

Thanks for your input.

Unfortunately I know and understand your pain. I have done quite a few inventory cost recoveries in Navision, in fact my first freelance job was to repair the costing in a Navision DOS implementation a very long time ago.

There is a lot of information out there, I have posted a lot about this on MiBuSo and Dynamics Users. So a search will probably bring up a lot of help. Also search for posts from Alex Chow, he has posted some great posts and blogs on how to recover inventory costs.

In the end though it is going to come down to budget and who is going to pay for it. It is not a massively complex job if you know what you are doing, but it is a long process that will take a lot of time, and in our world time=money.
    David Singleton