Options

Upgrade NAV 2009 R2 to Business central.

Hi Team/Expert,

I am going to upgrade NAV 2009R2 to Business central.
Here, me and my team going to handle this project.
In this part of the project, i am going to take care of the part of custom code/part(Customization) upgrade. So, For this application code upgradation, have search some link: they are suggesting to use Merge Tool.

So, i went through the merge tool site and document/videos: http://www.mergetool.com/products/mergetool.html
1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRQGCjFC32I&t=191s
2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKDg7Fm_yeg

So, i am requesting you to suggest & guide me on right path, whether i am going correct or not?

As, i mentioned, am going to handle custom part. So, can i start nav 2009 R2 custom part upgartion to NAV 2013 R2 and further using merge tool?

Thanks in advance,
Mani.

Answers

• Options
    Geoffrey126793Geoffrey126793 Member Posts: 5
    Why 2013 R2 ?

"Best" upgrade path in your case is 2009 R2 => 2015 => BC14

Merge Tool is an old tool (stille possible to handle Pages/ RDLC Report ?)
    In newer version of Navision/BC, you have some CommandLine Tools : Split-NAVApplicationObject, Merge-NAVApplicationObject. This tool compare your custom 2009 version with the base 2009 version then try to your modification to a 2015/BC version.
    These tools are explained online on Ms website.

Depending of your customisation. This can be have big and difficult step .. or simple ..
  • Options
    RockWithNAVRockWithNAV Member Posts: 1,139
    For the merging part use this command on Powershell Merge-NAVApplicationObject and this does an awesome job.
  • Options
    ManiNavManiNav Member Posts: 120
    Hi Geoffrey126793,RockWithNAV,

Thanks for the your valuable response.

@RockWithNAV , Yes; Now I am using Powershell ISE for compare and merge. It does wonderful job. Once again thank you.

I am struggling now, with conflict file; as i compare and update the application object in Result folder.
    E.g:- In codeunit:1. For 'Code modification' conflict, resolve manually. but for 'Property modification' that has showing 'Text Constant ' conflict as below:

xktkgd9dyhma.png

So, the Text000 not available in text file of codeunit:1. How will i resolve this. Please guide. And one thing more, i have approx 920 conflict file. so, please guide for this also. Is any tool or need to resolve manually for all 920 conflict file.

Thanks,
    Mani.
  • Options
    Hi Expert,

Actually, i was comparing client custom with our local base Nav, that's why getting alot conflict file.
    Now, i did comparison and update with; client base Vs client custom, so conflict file became less(113 only), that i am able to resolve manually.

Thanks,
    Mani.
  • Options
    RockWithNAVRockWithNAV Member Posts: 1,139
    Hey @ManiNav - Yes conflict part we need to sort it out manually, if there is any base to base change or field missing then map it with the new way introduced.
  • Options
    Hi Expert,

How i will import/add custom Form, as we have already deleted form and dataport that not support in NAV 2013. Is it need to rebuild custom form as page for corresponding in NAV 2013, Or any tools that can be use?

Thanks,
    Mani.