BC17 Upgrade fails on Database Conversion

detlefdetlef Member Posts: 38
edited 2020-12-17 in NAV Three Tier
Doing an upgrade from V15.5 to V17.0 and it fails doing the database conversion with an SQL timeout after 1 minute.

This is on an Azure VM ( Standard E4s v3 (4 vcpus, 32 GiB memory) ) connected to an Azure SQL db (31GB).

Steps followed from here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dynamics365/business-central/dev-itpro/upgrade/upgrade-unmodified-application-v15-to-v17

I have increased the DTUs to 200 and run exec sp_updatestats on the database. Still fails:

PS C:\windows\system32> Invoke-NAVApplicationDatabaseConversion -DatabaseServer "sql04.database.windows.net" -DatabaseName "BCTest" -ApplicationDatabaseCredentials (Get-Credential)

cmdlet Get-Credential at command pipeline position 1

Supply values for the following parameters:

Credential

sql04.database.windows.net

If you convert the database 'BCTest' on the 'sql04.database.windows.net' server, you will no longer be able

to open it with older versions of Dynamics 365 Business Central.

We strongly recommended that you make a database or transaction log backup in SQL Server before the conversion.

Note that the conversion removes any modifications that you have made to system tables.

Do you want to continue?

[Y] Yes [N] No Suspend [?] Help (default is "Y"):

Invoke-NAVApplicationDatabaseConversion : The database create operation failed due to the following error returned by

SQL Server:

Execution Timeout Expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not

responding.

The statement has been terminated.

At line:1 char:1

+ Invoke-NAVApplicationDatabaseConversion -DatabaseServer "sql04.dat ...

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (0:Int32) [Invoke-NAVApplicationDatabaseConversion], NavCommandException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : sql04.database.windows.net,Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Management.Cmdlets.InvokeNAVApplica

tionDatabaseConversion

Does anyone have an idea, how to make this work?

Cheers

Detlef

Answers

• ChenjeraiChenjerai Member Posts: 5
    Hi Detlef,

I am facing the same challenge you raised here. Did you find a solution for this? How did you resolve this issue?

Regards,

Chenjerai Madziwa
    Cool
  • julkifli33julkifli33 Member Posts: 1,073
    Hi...
    how big is your database?
    I have experienced like this before.
    last time my customer had a lot of entities...
    then I separate become 2 databases
    once converted then re-import entities become 1 database