Problem creating middle tier

ACHolchITACHolchIT Member Posts: 6
Hi,

I am trying to create a new middle tier on Nav 2015 and I keep getting this error.

Unable to locate the default ServerInstance.

This happens if I use the admin tool or if I use the powershell command.

I don't know where I would find or configure the default instance.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks

Best Answer

Answers

• irasoelbaksirasoelbaks Member Posts: 119
    edited 2020-10-29
    The default server instance is being installed when you installed Nav from the Product DVD. This is the first Nst and is designated as the default one. Or: you removed the default instance or it's looks like it's corrupt somehow. With the Nav 2015 Administration Tool it is normally not possible to remove the default instance but there are other ways to delete the default server instance anyhow. To determine the default server instance go to the config file. Search for the key/value pair mentioned below. Remember the value could vary if you specified another value during setup.

<add key="ServerInstance" value="DynamicsNAV80"/>

in file: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\80\Service\CustomSettings.config"
  • ACHolchITACHolchIT Member Posts: 6
    Hi, I had looked at this setting and thought it might be related. It said "InstanceName" as the value which doesn't exist. I tried changing the value to one of an Instance that does exist and I when I retried to create the new instance I got this same error unfortunately. Do I need to do anything else?
  • ACHolchITACHolchIT Member Posts: 6
    Many Thanks for this. As this is a production server that has been inherited I am concerned about running setup again in case it damages the running system. Ironically, the whole point of the second middle tier is to create a test platform as one doesn't exist. I'll mark your post as the answer, thanks once again.
  • irasoelbaksirasoelbaks Member Posts: 119
    ACHolchIT wrote: »
    Many Thanks for this. As this is a production server that has been inherited I am concerned about running setup again in case it damages the running system. Ironically, the whole point of the second middle tier is to create a test platform as one doesn't exist. I'll mark your post as the answer, thanks once again.

To safeguard all your server instance settings copy the files in the Service folder that end with .config. After running the setup, recreate the original servicetier names and restore the config files (like "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\80\Service\CustomSettings.config") in order to restore the service tier configuration. Remember each server instance has its own .config file. Do not forget to specify the correct serviceaccount again and before uninstalling or repairing the service-tier(s) first manually stop them so all things are configured correctly like SPN registration for example.
    If the production server is virtual maybe you can clone it or snapshot it, then perform the recovery steps needed and then if everything went okay do the exercise again and definitive.