NAVCore Objects Manager

AdministratorAdministrator Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,495
NAVCore Objects Manager
A simple tool for transferring and comparing customized Dynamics NAV objects between the Development and the Test/Production environments. It can be used by Customers and Developers alike.

Quickly transfer modified objects from the Development to the Test/Production environment.
Easily keep track of objects pending transfer with real-time object comparison.
Keep better documentation and avoid accidental loss of changes by quickly comparing differences between the 2 environments before transferring.
Automatically check for errors when transferring objects and automatically reverse the transfer when errors are encountered.
Automatically backup Production objects before every transfer and keep unlimited versions of the object.
Quickly and easily revert changes if necessary.
Easily make version backup of individual objects.

https://mibuso.com/downloads/navcore-objects-manager

Discuss this download here.

Comments

• AdministratorAdministrator Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,495
    NAVCore Objects Manager
    A simple tool for transferring and comparing customized Dynamics NAV objects between the Development and the Test/Production environments. It can be used by Customers and Developers alike.

This is a must-have tool for Developers, Managers, and Customers!

Save Time and Money
    Manage, Communicate, and Collaborate
    Monitor Development and Progress
    Project and Time Tracking
    Source Control and Object Transfer History
    Code Comparison, Code Search, Where Used, and much more!
    Features:

Quickly transfer modified objects from the Development to the Test/Production environment.
    Easily keep track of objects pending transfer with real-time object comparison.
    Keep better documentation and avoid accidental loss of changes by quickly comparing differences between the 2 environments before transferring.
    Automatically check for errors when transferring objects and automatically reverse the transfer when errors are encountered.
    Automatically backup Production objects before every transfer and keep unlimited versions of the object.
    Quickly and easily revert changes if necessary.
    Easily make version backup of individual objects.
    Update 10/2/2020

Added support for 1 SQL Server per database/environment
    Import and store all NAV objects in an SQLite Database
    Search codes across all objects
    Find where objects are used or referenced
    Batch Transfer
    Transfer History
    See when an object was transferred and by whom
    Compare code differences between each transfer.
    Source Control
    Store, Restore, and Extract as FOB files.
    Public and Private Notes
    Projects
    Associate with multiple objects at the same time
    Track time spent on each object
    Assign tasksBuilt-in collaboration with a messaging style of communication
    Deprecated
    Storage Path and .TXT Export path
    Version List filter
    Backup

• Tony_NCDTony_NCD Member Posts: 32
    edited 2020-10-05
    This application was born out of the desire to be more efficient when developing on one database but having to push to another, where the test instance is connected to, for testing. Although it seemed quick and simple to do, a few seconds can quickly add up to a few minutes. When I have to do this often, it became quite a waste of time.

Can someone please share with me your way of transferring development objects to the Test and/or Live environments? The manual way that I've had to do this was to find and mark the modified objects, then filter by the marked objects before exporting to a single fob file. At first, I was using an Excel sheet to keep track of the objects that were modified but that became cumbersome when working with so many objects, therefore, I just add a value to the Version List as a way to track. Anytime I modify an object, I would add a value to help denote it's been modified and may need to be moved to Test/Live. I must admit though, I sometimes forget to update this value so the alternative was to also rely on the last modified date. Once the change has been moved to Live, that's when I take away the mark. This was by far the most efficient way for me. Sometimes, I forget or miss an object but when I import them, I don't always get an error. That's because NAV imports the fob files as compiled objects. Only after I get the complaint that something didn't work after the import, will I realize that. To avoid this, after every import, the objects had to be recompiled to ensure nothing was missed. As you can see, this too became a bit cumbersome and time wasting but it ensures that errors were caught early on.

I thought this was a waste of time so when I learned about the finsql.exe command lines, I quickly developed a way to take advantage of it and that was when the Objects Manager was born. This application will do a direct query against the databases and help me find differences quickly, without having to manually keep track of what's different between each database. I then took advantage of the finsql.exe to import the objects into NAV while, at the same time, compiling it to ensure I didn't miss anything. While it may be great, it isn't perfect since we can't specify different types of objects with different types of ID to export and import. Sometimes, when there are changes in both a codeunit and a table, for example, and 1 is referring to changes in another, the import will complain when it tries to compile and the other object hasn't been updated. Nevertheless, it was still saving me a lot of time. However, with the latest change, this issue is resolved with a Batch Import plus a host of other features. Seeing how useful the application is and how much time it saved me, I decided to make it into a commercial application. I would love to hear what your thoughts are and how you go about managing your development objects!
  • AdministratorAdministrator Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,495
    NAVCore Objects Manager
    Update 4 Mar 2021

Add Side-by-Side comparison
    Improved performance on batch export/import
    Improved performance on code import