PATCH method

dreezdreez Member Posts: 68
edited 2020-02-14 in NAV Tips & Tricks
Hi!

I have recently encountered a problem with PATCH call from C/AL.
I have already tried a solution for AL, but it didn't work, here's my code:
CASE RestMethod OF
 'PATCH':
    BEGIN
       String := 'PATCH' //it's a DotNet String variable
       HttpRequestMessage.Content(HttpContent); //HttpContent contains  JSON object which I sent
       HttpRequestMessage.Method(String); //I've tried to use ('PATCH') instead of String, but it requires DotNet variable
       HttpResponseMessage := HttpClient.SendAsync(HttpRequestMessage);
    END;
END;

When I try to execute that, I am getting the following error:

A call to System.Net.Http.HttpRequestMessage.set_Method failed with this message: The type of one or more arguments does not match the method's parameter type.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Best Answer

• ShaiHuludShaiHulud Member Posts: 228
    edited 2020-02-13 Answer ✓
    dreez wrote: »
    Unfortunately that didn't help.
    A call to System.Uri failed with this message: Invalid URI: The format of the URI could not be determined.

Is there any possibility to lookup how is, for example HttpClient.PutAsync method built?
    I feel like I'm giving up, and maybe I could just use this PATCH method with REST Sharp library, that you have recommended..

Oh, looks like System.Uri needs absolute path, aka
    MethodUri := MethodUri.Uri(BaseUrl + Method);

And, naturally, make sure that either your BaseUrl ends with, or Method begins, with a slash

Answers

edited 2020-02-11
    HttpRequestMessage.Method requires a parameter (if setting a value) of type "HttpMethod", not "String". Once you have defined your variable (preferably with name "HttpMethod", your problematic line should be:
    HttpRequestMessage.Method(HttpMethod.Patch);

• dreezdreez Member Posts: 68
    ShaiHulud wrote: »
    HttpRequestMessage.Method requires a parameter (if setting a value) of type "HttpMethod", not "String". Once you have defined your variable (preferably with name "HttpMethod", your problematic line should be:
    HttpRequestMessage.Method(HttpMethod.Patch);

Thank you for your answer, but unfortunately I've already tried that.
    There is no such method as Patch - and that's the problem. There are methods like Get, Put and Post.

My code is inspired by this topic (hopefuly it's not a problem to link something from outside of this forum):
    Patch_method_AL
    Ah, I see. You're using the HttpRequestMessage (and HttpMethod) from the "System.Net.Http" namespace (in which HttpMethod does not have PATCH method), while I checked the "Windows.Web.Http".

You should try then (should work in theory):
    HttpMethod := HttpMethod.HttpMethod('PATCH');
    HttpRequestMessage.Method(HttpMethod);

Alternatively, you could go with RestSharp library.
    edited 2020-02-11
    Thanks, I feel like it's really close solution, because now I am getting the following error:
    A call to System.Net.Http.HttpResponseMessage.EnsureSuccessStatusCode failed with this message: Response status code does not indicate success: 302 (Found).

I think, that I know what's the reason, but I don't know how to fix the problem.
    I will show you my entire code, so I can explain:
    LOCAL CallRESTWebService()
    HttpClient := HttpClient.HttpClient;
    HttpClient.BaseAddress := Uri.Uri(BaseUrl);
    IF AuthorizationHeader <> '' THEN
      HttpClient.DefaultRequestHeaders.Add('Authorization',AuthorizationHeader);

CASE RestMethod OF
      'GET':
        CurrHttpResponseMessage := HttpClient.GetAsync(Method).Result;
      'POST':
        CurrHttpResponseMessage := HttpClient.PostAsync(Method,HttpContent).Result;
      'PUT':
        CurrHttpResponseMessage := HttpClient.PutAsync(Method,HttpContent).Result;
      'DELETE':
        CurrHttpResponseMessage := HttpClient.DeleteAsync(Method).Result;
      'PATCH':
        BEGIN
           HttpRequestMessage := HttpRequestMessage.HttpRequestMessage;
           HttpRequestMessage.Content(HttpContent);
           CurrHttpResponseMessage := HttpClient.SendAsync(HttpRequestMessage).Result;
        END;
    END;
    CurrHttpResponseMessage.EnsureSuccessStatusCode;

And maybe a little explanation here, RestMethod, as you can see is GET, POST, PUT, DELETE or PATCH. Also there is a Method (query) that I can use with API, for example 'api/employees' and I can combine that with different queries.
    As you can see, HttpClient.Get/Post/Put/Delete methods takes this Method as a parameter, so now I don't know where to put this Method variable, so it could work with newly defined PATCH case.
    I have tried something like:
    HttpMethod := HttpMethod.HttpMethod('PATCH ' + Method);

but it doesn't work and results with following error:
    A call to System.Net.Http.HttpMethod failed with this message: The format of the HTTP method is invalid.

Do you have any idea how to fix that?
    You should add the "Method" as part of your HttpRequestMessage.RequestUri property, which states that:
    If the request Uri is a relative Uri, it will be combined with the BaseAddress [of the HttpClient]
    So you'd have a line
    HttpRequestMessage.RequestUri(Method);

Sorry I can't test these things, don't have a proper platform with PATCH methods
    edited 2020-02-13
    Sorry I can't test these things, don't have a proper platform with PATCH methods
    That's not a problem. You're actually really helpful and patient, so I'm really thankful for that.
    So you'd have a line
    HttpRequestMessage.RequestUri(Method);

The thing is, that the method RequestUri requires a DotNet parameter, while my Method is a text.
    I've just tried to do that the same way as before, so I added two lines:
    HttpMethod2 := HttpMethod2.HttpMethod(Method);
    HttpRequestMessage.RequestUri(HttpMethod2);

But it doesn't seem to work and results with an error:
    A call to System.Net.Http.HttpMethod failed with this message: The format of the HTTP method is invalid.
    Alright, how about:
    <..>
      'PATCH':
        BEGIN
           HttpRequestMessage := HttpRequestMessage.HttpRequestMessage;
           HttpRequestMessage.Content(HttpContent);
           MethodUri := MethodUri.Uri(Method);
           HttpRequestMessage.RequestUri(MethodUri);
           CurrHttpResponseMessage := HttpClient.SendAsync(HttpRequestMessage).Result;
        END;
    <..>

Where:
    Name	DataType	Subtype	Length
    MethodUri	DotNet	System.Uri.'System, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089'	

A call to System.Uri failed with this message: Invalid URI: The format of the URI could not be determined.

Is there any possibility to lookup how is, for example HttpClient.PutAsync method built?
    I feel like I'm giving up, and maybe I could just use this PATCH method with REST Sharp library, that you have recommended..
    edited 2020-02-13 Answer ✓
    dreez wrote: »

And, naturally, make sure that either your BaseUrl ends with, or Method begins, with a slash

That works!
    Thank you so much for helping me!