Keeping Nav 2009 / Classic Client alive two more years?

Hi,

I hope this is the correct section to post this.

We are still running our ERP system in a NAV 2009 / Classic Client Environment. I know that the support for this version has expired and there are no more updates coming. Unfortunately we are in a situation where - considering all options - it would be best to keep the current system for another two years or so. It is a pretty huge self developed system on top of the standard Financials modules.

In your opinions, what are the risks of keeping the system up for such a long time and what would be the strategies? Currently it does everything we need it to do and it is running perfectly but I fear pontential problems with it not being compatible with future Windows updates or not installing updates to avoid these problems, once they occur.

I know that nobody has a crystal ball to tell what's happening over the next two years but maybe you can share some thoughts or ideas.

Thanks!

BF

Answers

• JuhlJuhl Member Posts: 724
    No problem. Companies are still running DOS versions, so 2009 is not that bad.

Look at your needs, and of course be aware of the technical debt you are building up. But as long you have a OS it can run on, then it works. But plan ahead...

My 2 cent
    Follow me on my blog juhl.blog
  • BluefingerBluefinger Member Posts: 20
    Juhl wrote: »
    No problem. Companies are still running DOS versions, so 2009 is not that bad.

Look at your needs, and of course be aware of the technical debt you are building up. But as long you have a OS it can run on, then it works. But plan ahead...

My 2 cent

The operating system is the whole point. We are running Office 365 with automated Upgrades to the newest version and so we are installing all Windows updates as they are coming in on all Terminal servers in order to prevent any technical debts in that area. The Classic CLient is running on the same servers. At the same time we are running at risk to lose the classic client because it may not run propperly with a future windows update anymore.
    Of course we could stop all upgrades to windows and office for that period of time and freeze our environment but we might create safety risks this way. At least that's what consultants are telling me. I don't know how much of a problem it would be to stop installing Windows updates in case one causes problems with the Classic Client.

thanks!