Options

Dynamics NAV 2016 Crashes (probably permission problem)

Hello, so the problem is that NAV 2016 windows client crashes, when trying to use some custom functionality.

More precisely: there is a custom Order table with "Type" and "No." as its primary key and when you open the corresponding Document page and try to use assistEdit to generate new "No.", it opens No. Series List Page and after you hit OK, for some of the "Types" of that source table the program crashes and without any errors, at that.

I think the problem is related to permissions, because it only happens to users with new User Groups and Permission Sets were recently created. Plus the problem does not occur, if the user has Super permission set.

On the other hand, in any other cases if a user tries to make something that he does not have permission to do, the program usually returns a corresponding error (regarding lack of permissions), but that does not happen in this case, the program just becomes unresponsive, or shuts down.

Also I am not the author of those Permission Sets, but I tried using "Record Permissions" function of the Permissions page to add any permissions that could have been missing, but even after that the problem remained.

And even worse than that, the problem just randomly stops occurring and than appears again. Right now the problem is still gone, so I can't even test and see if it's solved by any of my changes. Could it be a program bug? I did go through the code of the assistEdit button and I could not find anything suspicious by eye. Then I tried narrowing the code down to locate the problematic code by commenting parts of it and as I thought I had discovered that problematic part of code (cause the program was not crashing, with that part commented out), I uncommented everything to make sure that it would crash again, but it did not! The problem was mysteriously gone! As I said it's gone as of now, but I obviously can't just hope that problem is solved.

I was not able to find my problem by googling, so I hope I'm not creating a duplicate post. And I hope somebody here can help. Thanks!

Answers

• Options
    Wisa123Wisa123 Member Posts: 308
    Hi

1.) this should be in NAV/3-Tier
    2.) What CU are you using, have you checked the CU changelogs for possible solutions?
    3.) Do Client or Server dump anything related into their eventlogs?
    4.) Just because it only happens to a few users: Do they use different language/region settings than the other users?

When the Client just instantly crashes without an error, you should usually find something in the event logs that will lead you to the solution.

/Wisa
    Austrian NAV/BC Dev
  • Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,096
    [Topic moved from 'NAV/Navision Classic Client' forum to 'NAV Three Tier' forum]

Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• Options
    magnitomaniamagnitomania Member Posts: 2
    edited 2019-08-29
    Wisa123 wrote: »
    Hi

1.) this should be in NAV/3-Tier
    2.) What CU are you using, have you checked the CU changelogs for possible solutions?
    3.) Do Client or Server dump anything related into their eventlogs?
    4.) Just because it only happens to a few users: Do they use different language/region settings than the other users?

When the Client just instantly crashes without an error, you should usually find something in the event logs that will lead you to the solution.

/Wisa

1) Oh, sorry
    2) Program version is 9.00.42815 so it seems like it does not have any CU installed
    3) I checked event logs and did not find anything that could have been related
    4) I don't think that is the case

Unfortunately the problem is no longer present with neither of those users. Maybe the problem actually was solved but somehow it took some time to take effect? Hard to believe, but I guess, I will just have to wait and see if it ever comes back. Thanks a lot anyways