Microsoft will not sell objects unless annual fee is paid!!!

SpyrootSpyroot Member Posts: 45
Hi guys,

We are running NAV 3.7. We are not paying any annual fee to Microsoft for updates.

We are running out of tables, so we call our NAV sales representative who said that Microsoft has a new policy which says that if Customers are not paying annual maintenance fee, they will not longer support our system. They will not longer sell granule modules to us.

According with our sales rep, this policy begun on Nov 09, but we didn't have any notice at all

So if we don't pay, we can't get more objects :( what a rip off!!!!

Does any of you guys are in the same situation?

What are your suggestions.

Thank You

Comments

• themavethemave Member Posts: 1,058
    As an end user, I don't think it is a rip off.

If you don't want to pay maintenance, then why should they give you new objects.

Basically they are saying you can have the license for what you bought, and if you want to buy more then you need to have maintenance.

If I think maintenance in general is a rip off, that is another subject.
  • themavethemave Member Posts: 1,058
    I do have a suggestion for you to get around it. Mind you it would take a lot of investigating, but there are many tables in Navision that you may not be using, for instance, we purchased payroll many years ago. it has a ton of tables, that could handle all kinds of things. We stopped using the payroll granuals last year, and with our new corporate owners, I know we will never go back to using them in the future. so, technically I could modify some of those tables for my needs. Maybe you bought the job granules a long time ago, if you are on 3.7 they weren't very useful, so you probably don't use them. and since you are not upgrading, they would probably be ok to us.
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Spyroot wrote:
    According with our sales rep, this policy begun on Nov 09, but we didn't have any notice at all

This is a false statement. The new policy begins on 6/1/2010.
  • SpyrootSpyroot Member Posts: 45
    We always have been working that way. We always paid for objects requested without to pay any maintenance fee.

Now if we don't pay the maintenance fee, they will not longer sell any object to us.

Another friend says that NAV v4 and v5 had until Jun of this year to buy whatever they need before the policy got apply to those versions.
    Thanks thewave, it's a good suggestion.
    Another way to work around is create a master table for all those reports that use tmp tables and dump all tmp info to that master table. Maybe going this route will release at least 10 tables.
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Spyroot wrote:
    Thanks thewave, it's a good suggestion.
    Another way to work around is create a master table for all those reports that use tmp tables and dump all tmp info to that master table. Maybe going this route will release at least 10 tables.

Or use BI tools or Jetreports instead of using temp tables for reports.
    Thanks for the info Alex...
    Now is official.

Microsoft's Policy: If You avoid the annual maintenance fee to Microsoft, your Navision Solution Center will not longer sell any granule (module) to you ](*,).

Those who use Navision independently will suffer the consequences and need to start working around.
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Yes, this is new change, running in some countries since beginning of the year, in EMEA and other regions it will start in Jun. AX and NAV were last Products which have not this policy...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    Is there is any way to purchase objects from other country? I don't think so but I don't lose anything for asking
  • jacksoncharliejacksoncharlie Member Posts: 11
    Thank you all.
  • PhoguePhogue Member Posts: 76
    @jacksoncharlie I'm no moderator, but you're resurrecting several 5+ year dead threads, are you sure it's a necessary comment on a 9 year old post?
  • jacksoncharliejacksoncharlie Member Posts: 11
    I am sorry for this, if you want I can delete this post and be care full in future.