Optimize NAV native DB objects

txerifftxeriff Member Posts: 492
Hi all,

I hope some1 can help.
Is there any way to optimize by command line/job a native database objects? Like sql server job but something similar.

thanks!

Answers

• krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,094
    I remember there was an external tool (NOT free) for it but I don't know if it still exists.

But why would you want to do that?

The native DB is best not optimized. It is generally more performant like that. The only reason could be when you need to make the DB smaller because you where hitting the license limit. Or after deleting a huge amount of records in a table.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• txerifftxeriff Member Posts: 492
    kriki wrote: »
    I remember there was an external tool (NOT free) for it but I don't know if it still exists.

But why would you want to do that?

The native DB is best not optimized. It is generally more performant like that. The only reason could be when you need to make the DB smaller because you where hitting the license limit. Or after deleting a huge amount of records in a table.

Thanks for the response. I mentioned cos it took me in some cases 1.5 hours to create a single field. So, do you mean if I just make it bigger will perform better?
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,094
    Creating a new field or making it bigger in the native DB forces the DB to modify all records in that table. So it will be slow. SQL Server does not have the problem if I remember correctly. It only adds the new field in a records when that record is updated.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!