Options

Using Visual Studio Code in a NAV 2013 Database by Performing a Technical Upgrade

JosephGressJosephGress Member Posts: 36
Yes, you can use the Business Central Modern Development Environment and Visual Studio Code in a NAV 2013 database.

It is common knowledge that after a fantastic run, the CSIDE development environment is being replaced with what Microsoft has named the Modern Development Environment.

Prior to Dynamics NAV 2013, it was common practice to perform technical upgrades on production databases to take advantage of improved stability and performance and new features that were available with the newer executables.

When I learned about extensions and the Modern Development Environment, I wondered whether one could get access to this new and exciting functionality with an older database by performing a technical upgrade. I finally decided to find out for myself. Specifically, I performed a technical upgrade of a Dynamics NAV 2013 database to Business Central executables. It turned out that I needed to do a couple of additional tasks to make this work.

At this point, I’ve done a proof of concept – I connected to this database with Visual Studio Code then created and published a simple table and page extension then verified that this new field existed in both the windows and web client.

My next steps will be to complete a realistic extension and to document the steps that are needed to make this work as well as any limitations that I run into.

Finally, I need to mention that Microsoft is vague on whether or how much they will support technical upgrades like I’ve described. Still, I think it is cool that it works.

I would love to know if anyone has done this (performed a technical upgrade of a Dynamics NAV database to gain access to the Modern Development Environment) in a production database. I also welcome any comments or questions.
Joseph Gress

Comments

• Options
    Slawek_GuzekSlawek_Guzek Member Posts: 1,690
    edited 2019-04-04
    BC uses different licensing type, so why anybody would want to pay a monthly subscription fee per limited number of named users, if they already paid a full price on their current concurrent user count, they can have hundreds of users defined, each having full access to the db, and their current monthly charge is 0?

2018 version would be the last one to do a sensible technical upgrade to it.
    Slawek Guzek
    Dynamics NAV, MS SQL Server, Wherescape RED;
    PRINCE2 Practitioner - License GR657010572SG
    GDPR Certified Data Protection Officer - PECB License DPCDPO1025070-2018-03