Options

Extract Object and Field information from Text File

mikmik Member Posts: 79
Hi,
I would need a smooth way to get a list of all nav objects and all table fields and store them in NAV.
I tried to spin up a docker and use the Table Type ExternalSQL for the Object table and the Object Metadata Table.

This works fine in general. But I can't read the Field Information from the Metadata Blob.

My second Option is to export all objects and read them to get the relevant information. Is there any Object textfile parser around which I can use from inside NAV without any conversion step in between?

With kind regards
mik

Answers

• Options
    SanderDkSanderDk Member Posts: 497
    All object i NAV is listed in the tabel called object (perhaps allobjwithcaption fits better)
    All fields in NAV is store in the tabel called Field.
    Can you use Them?
    For help, do not use PM, use forum instead, perhaps other people have the same question, or better answers.
  • Options
    Hi,
    as field is a virtual table there is no way to use it. That's the thing. I do not want to create some code in my "base" database where only standard objects should be in to export the needed information. That's why I try to directly to to SQL and try to read data remote. (nice thing when using docker and just wanting to have the object information)

And "yes" I'm already reading the information from the object table. But without the table fields it's quite useless for me.

With kind regards
    mik
  • Options
    SanderDkSanderDk Member Posts: 497
    What version are you running?
    For help, do not use PM, use forum instead, perhaps other people have the same question, or better answers.
  • Options
    All Versions. I develop this tool on 2018 and/or BC.
    3 Ways to do this ..
    1) Develop my own object textfile parser (hopefully, there is one out there .. )
    2) Connect from 2018/BC to databases with ExternalSQL Table Type and Read that information and parse it in NAV (preferred but it seems not to be possible)
    3) Import an Export Codeunit in my Base DB and Export the information which I need to import it in my 2018/BC.

At the moment I'm sticking to 3) because of the simplicity and the possibility to read the field table.
    But 2) works really good except of the field information

With kind regards
    mik